PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about first time cut

lostinthefrost
12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I have downloaded some of the shared patterns. I am super computer savvy but seem to be missing something. Inside the software "edit->board settings ->Pattern bit" it only shows me a few bits, none of which came with it.

That confuses me a little. It gives me 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 ball nose's and 1/8 straight.

is there options I havent unlocked for the 2 bits that came with the unit?

DocWheeler
12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
lostinthefrost,

I think that LHR does that to get us to venture onto the forum :)

The two bits that came with the machine are there, it is just that the carving bit is disguised as a 1/16" ball nose. The 1/8" straight bit is as advertised.

I think that the 1/16" ball nose might really be an offered bit that feeds slowly to avoid breaking that small of a bit rather than the carving bit (I guess I'm not really sure). The 1/16" carving bit is quite robust and is not a required selection since it is the only bit to "carve" with.

Tom75
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
i beleave the 1/16 ball nose is the carving bit . and welcom to the forum

Amonaug
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
You shouldn't have to assign ANY bits for patterns or cut paths. Raster pattern carving defaults to the 1/16" carving bit and the cut paths default to the 1/8" cutting bit. When selecting a path to cut the window does have a dropdown (in version 1.31) you can change the cutting bit to the new 1/16" cutting bit.

lostinthefrost
12-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did upgrade the firmware but still saw the same 4 options. I want to see what the machine says on the project. I am probably just being paranoid. That's for all of the replies

mtylerfl
12-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did upgrade the firmware but still saw the same 4 options. I want to see what the machine says on the project. I am probably just being paranoid. That's for all of the replies

Hello,

You might want to read the Tips & Tricks issues (free) to become more familiar and comfortable with your machine. I think you'll find them helpful. Especially read the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues. They will help you avoid common mistakes (like assigning bits when you shouldn't) and teach you how to lube and maintain your machine.

All the Best!

ChrisAlb
12-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I have downloaded some of the shared patterns. I am super computer savvy but seem to be missing something. Inside the software "edit->board settings ->Pattern bit" it only shows me a few bits, none of which came with it.

That confuses me a little. It gives me 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 ball nose's and 1/8 straight.

is there options I havent unlocked for the 2 bits that came with the unit?

Both in your owners manual AND that dialog box it's recommended you DON'T change that Pattern "Carving" bit. As Michael hinted to above, I recommend you heed that advice.

Dan-Woodman
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
That is for setting the default bit. If, for instance you don't do any carving but only do vector lines, you can set the default to say , the 1/8" and it will come up every time instead of the carving bit.
later Daniel