PDA

View Full Version : New Scanning Probe

BradJulian
12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Hello All,
I received my new Scanning Probe today, boy was I excited. I read all the paperwork that came with it. I registered the software, put the scanner probe in the machine, attached the the head connector to the machine on the left hand side and the probe cable to that. Used the keypad just like the directions said. Pushed "0" for the Configuration Menu, pushed 7 for the Sensor check and nothing happened. The directions say that when you deflect the probe the displayed state will change from Closed to Open. I could never get that to happen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

I have read more on the forum and so far I have taken the probe apart to make sure everything was connected - it was, I blew out the connector - that did not help.

ChrisAlb
12-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Brad and Welcome,

Make sure your CW is set up right for your type of scanner connection.

Press 0, 5, down arrow twice, press Enter to change.

If your scanner plugs into the cover, make it (Cover)
If it plugs into the Ztruck, make it (Ztruck)

Hope that helps

SawdustSteve
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I also have a new scanning probe. I am running Designer software 1.131.
I followed the directions... I let the machine know that I have the "Cover" connection for my probe... I did the sensor check.

When I do the sensor check, it always shows "Closed".

If I check the sensor with a multimeter, it responds as I expect... "closed" contact when the tip is not deflecting; "open" contact if the tip is deflected (even slightly).

However, it will not respond when plugged in.

I read one entry about removing the homing sensor... but I cannot find the post again.

My question is... is this the solution or is there another approach I should be taking?

Thanks,

Steve

Amonaug
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
I also have a new scanning probe. I am running Designer software 1.131.
I followed the directions... I let the machine know that I have the "Cover" connection for my probe... I did the sensor check.

When I do the sensor check, it always shows "Closed".

If I check the sensor with a multimeter, it responds as I expect... "closed" contact when the tip is not deflecting; "open" contact if the tip is deflected (even slightly).

I read one entry about removing the homing sensor... but I cannot find the post again.

My question is... is this the solution or is there another approach I should be taking?

Thanks,

Steve

if you have the old Z-truck (which I imagine you do if you still have the homing sensor) then try plugging it into the z-truck and set the CW to look there instead of cover.

ChrisAlb
12-15-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you do indeed have the cover hookup, be sure the plug isn't in upside down. It is keyed but anything is possible. When I installed the upgraded Z-Pack, I didn't have to remove the homing sensor for the probe to work. Quite frankly, I don't even know where the homing sensor is...LOL

All I had to do was tell the CW it was now plugged into the cover instead of the Z truck.

SawdustSteve
12-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Amonaug - I was mistaken... I believe I have the new style z-truck as I am not able to find a "homing sensor" or a place to plug in the probe. I just remembered what I had read before I took the time to check the machine.

I found the thread I was referring to below.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=3434&highlight=closed

Gman_Ind had a similar problem. The solution is not posted. It seems he sent the unit to Tx for a little tender loving care. It would be nice to know what they found.

ChrisAlb - Yes, I do have the cover hook-up... and yes it is keyed... its interesting that you bring that up though. The key and the clip were on the bottom side of the plug, making it nearly impossible to release without damaging something. I took the cover off and swapped it to "key side up". It's much easier to plug and unplug, but so far, no success with getting the indication to change states.

I am not desperate to get this going, but I do need to get it fixed. I am still hanging on to hope that someone has found a solution to this problem that does not require shipping the unit to Texas.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Steve

Amonaug
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Amonaug - I was mistaken... I believe I have the new style z-truck as I am not able to find a "homing sensor" or a place to plug in the probe. I just remembered what I had read before I took the time to check the machine.

I found the thread I was referring to below.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=3434&highlight=closed

Gman_Ind had a similar problem. The solution is not posted. It seems he sent the unit to Tx for a little tender loving care. It would be nice to know what they found.

ChrisAlb - Yes, I do have the cover hook-up... and yes it is keyed... its interesting that you bring that up though. The key and the clip were on the bottom side of the plug, making it nearly impossible to release without damaging something. I took the cover off and swapped it to "key side up". It's much easier to plug and unplug, but so far, no success with getting the indication to change states.

I am not desperate to get this going, but I do need to get it fixed. I am still hanging on to hope that someone has found a solution to this problem that does not require shipping the unit to Texas.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Steve

My next suggestion would be to make sure no dust or chips are stuck in the plug and the pins aren't bent. Also make sure that the plug is plugged into the circuit board in back, it's the same plug as the keypad-side cover switch. Then call LHR.

Kenm810
12-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Same Here,

The key and the clip are on the bottom side of the plug,
making it nearly impossible to release, --- If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't -------

SawdustSteve
12-16-2008, 07:29 AM
My next suggestion would be to make sure no dust or chips are stuck in the plug and the pins aren't bent. Also make sure that the plug is plugged into the circuit board in back, it's the same plug as the keypad-side cover switch. Then call LHR.

Kevin,

Thanks. Yep, checked and double-checked both the pins and debris in the plug... but it doesn't hurt to check again.

I checked the plug in the circuit board without taking the cover off, so I didn't have good access. I'll do some disassembly tonight and check it thoroughly. While I'm at it, I can do a pin-out of the plug and wires end to end.

It's funny, most problems like this are only a 5 minute fix... it just may take 2 weeks to find WHAT needs to be fixed!

I've got an e-mail to LHR, referencing the Gman_Ind issue. If I can find out what they did to fix his problem, it may give me a clue how to proceed here.

Keep the suggestions coming... we'll nail it down eventually!

Thanks,

Steve

liquidguitars
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM

one more thing, you need to turn off the Carvewright after
telling it what probe you have selected to flash the eprom..

So its..

Press 0, 5, down arrow twice, press Enter to change, then power off, wait a few and power up..

LG

BradJulian
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
All,
Thanks so much for all the advice. I received a reply from the support people at CarveWright and what they told me corrected my problem. You have to press "0" then "7" then the up arrow until you get to "Probe State". This is were deflecting the probe tip goes from closed to open. Again thanks alot. Just got back from sea and am getting ready to try it out for the first time.

Brad Julian

SawdustSteve
12-18-2008, 07:28 PM
liquidguitars Quote:

one more thing, you need to turn off the Carvewright after
telling it what probe you have selected to flash the eprom..

So its..

Press 0, 5, down arrow twice, press Enter to change, then power off, wait a few and power up..

LG

Thanks LG... no luck with that either.

Quick question... it seems that the indication should go from "closed" to "open" if you unplug the probe while in the sensor test screen. However, some electronics are sensitive to plugging and unplugging sensors on a live circuit. Can anyone give me a reason why this would or would not be a good test?

If it is okay to do this, it could help me eliminate the probe as the problem and concentrate on the wires and plugs.

Thanks,

Steve

roughcut
12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks LG... no luck with that either.

Quick question... it seems that the indication should go from "closed" to "open" if you unplug the probe while in the sensor test screen. However, some electronics are sensitive to plugging and unplugging sensors on a live circuit. Can anyone give me a reason why this would or would not be a good test?

If it is okay to do this, it could help me eliminate the probe as the problem and concentrate on the wires and plugs.

Thanks,

Steve

Mine has came loose during a scan and I just got a check probe error . It didn't hurt anything .Maybe I was just lucky . I guess it would be a good test .

SawdustSteve
12-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Mine has came loose during a scan and I just got a check probe error . It didn't hurt anything .Maybe I was just lucky . I guess it would be a good test .

Thanks Roughcut - that's good input.

I've taken the day off today and getting to the bottom of this is on my list of things to do.

Steve

SawdustSteve
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I didn't get the opportunity to do any detailed troubleshooting... however, I did unplug the probe while in "sensor test"... it showed "closed".

I shut down the machine and restarted so that it would start up without recognizing the probe was attached and then checked the state in "sensor test"... it showed "closed".

As I reached inside, when my hand came within about 1/4" from the wires (not the plug connection), the indication changed to "open"! :confused:

I did not have time to pursue this further... but the indication is consistent... every time I put my hand near the wires, the indication changes to "open".

Once I am finished with my Christmas projects and can dig into this further, I'll pull the connecting wires out and inspect... as well as look for grounding issues.

Are there any other avenues anyone can suggest as a "next step"?

Thanks,

Steve

Glassman
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I am having the exact same problem. If I find a solution I will post it. If you find one, please post the result.

bfcg
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Why is everybody beating around the bush? You got a bad probe. It is very common. I rebuilt my probe the second time I used it. Bad solder joints, flimsey wire re-enforcement. Thats just the way they are. Now I am not venting or trying to bad rap the company, I just don't want you chasing your tail.

Solution: You either send it back and wait a few weeks or you do what I did. Not only did I fix the electrical contacts and add re-enforcement to the wire, I also turned a new probe tip on my lathe because the original one bent from running blind.

You could narrow it down with an ohm meter set to beep. Clip to the mini jack and tap the probe. It does not have to be mounted in the collet, you can do it at the kitchen table...Oh and while you are on your way there don't forget to bring the soldering iron, I have a feeling you will be needing it.

eromran
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Why is everybody beating around the bush? You got a bad probe. It is very common. I rebuilt my probe the second time I used it. Bad solder joints, flimsey wire re-enforcement. Thats just the way they are. Now I am not venting or trying to bad rap the company, I just don't want you chasing your tail.

Solution: You either send it back and wait a few weeks or you do what I did. Not only did I fix the electrical contacts and add re-enforcement to the wire, I also turned a new probe tip on my lathe because the original one bent from running blind.

You could narrow it down with an ohm meter set to beep. Clip to the mini jack and tap the probe. It does not have to be mounted in the collet, you can do it at the kitchen table...Oh and while you are on your way there don't forget to bring the soldering iron, I have a feeling you will be needing it.I must have missed something cause i don't see were anybody is beating around the bush. In this thread there are several different problem not just one so before you say its the probe and send it in as you suggest it would be wise to make sure it is indeed the probe. For example one post did not even have probe connected yet was getting changes in open and close therefore probally was not the probe itself (he would have wasted more time by sending it in) If you want to check the probe while still in machine while you are checking the probe tip to make sure it goes from close to open when you are deflecting it then (WARNING i would not do the following unless you are having a problem you don't want to create one) where wire goes into probe lightly push wire in a little and very gently pull. If it does show a change it is a loose wire and then as BFCG stated fix or send in. If it is the wire it is a pretty simple fix to take probe apart check connections and solider wire back if needed if you don't feel comfortable doing it your self run it to your corner electronics shop and they will probally do it for free or just a few buck while you wait. Also do a search and read past post on probe. One more thing if you don't have a probe don't be scared off by these post they are simple and a blast to work with and makes the machine that much more fun. Would hate to think of not having one.

SawdustSteve
03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
eromran - thanks for the post... all very valuable information. bfcg didn't get the benefit of some of the private corespondence I had (offline) concerning this problem, so he only had part of the picture. I can see how it would be easy to make some incorrect assumptions.

I've been traveling, both in and out of the US and have not had time to work on this issue (I solve non-CW problems for a living!).

What I HAVE done is this...

1. Disassembled the probe and carefully inspected all connections and contacts

2. Removed the entire assembly - probe to circuit board - and traced the wiring (see attached drawing)

3. Using a multimeter, checked the probe reaction all the way back to the circuit board... it reacts exactly as I expect. "Closed" contact when in a static condition - "open" contact when the probe is slightly deflected

What I have NOT done is trace the circuit beyond the connection point of the circuit board. I took my readings from the back side of the board, so I am moderately confident the solder connections at that point are good. I will inspect them more closely during my next go-around.

I have tried to get circuit information from CW, but I think this is a little beyond the helpdesk level. I would like to verify that the wiring between the probe and the circuit board is correct. I am 100% confident that my drawing reflects what I have. However, in my profession, I have seen more than one case where an assembly person inserted the wire in the wrong plug hole.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

Ben's Millwork
04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello, just for everyone's info, the probes for regular floor cnc's are the same 2 wire configuration as the cw, you would just need to replace the connector. I have never had the one for the cnc apart, but you can tell by looking at it, it's some degree of better quality.I paid around 300.00 for mine and you can purchase different size tips.
Thanks,
Ben