PDA

View Full Version : bit question for newbie- any help is appreciated

lostinthefrost
12-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello, I hope I am not beating a dead horse. Can you purchase the 1/2 and 1/4 adapters and use and "good quality" bits? I just bought my first machine. I really want the probe and the correct bits, but add all that up together and it's a chunk of change. My wife already doesnt like that I spent the money. I dont mind doing things the correct way. Does anyone have any good suggestions?? Any help is appreciated.

GrammaPam
12-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Lost,
Prepare to enjoy the journey. First of all know that you will get better with experience, and of course more equipment will make the work nicer and allow you to do more things. My advice is make your wife something nice with the Carvewright that she will be proud to show off to her friends. Then leave your wish list where she can find it.
Good Luck and Happy Carving.
G.P.

SeaCapt97
12-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Lost - Gramma's right! Made my wife the sleigh project. Next I knew she asked about how she could "maybe" order the probe for Christmas! You can use your own bits. They MUST be of high quality and properly mounted in the CarveWright bit adapters. There are other threads on this subject. Use the search feature (third pull down menu from the right) Be sure to put your query in "quotes". I bought the set from amazon for $225

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Bill

SeaCapt97
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Lost - Forgot to say I've been using my machine since February and have yet to use the bit set. You can do an awful lot with just the two furnished bits. This machine is amazing!

Enjoy it!

Bill

lostinthefrost
12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
all good stuff. I cracked up laughing at the comments. Thanks for that. I may just sit on it for a few. I really want to purchase the probe, but just saw the price on amazon for 225 for the bits. that's pretty hard to pass up.

I guess I am jumping the gun, UPS drops off the unit tomorrow. I was just afraid that I wouldnt be able to find stuff down the road if I want to add.

I went to a local sears just to ask questions. I my as well asked paperclip. They told me the units arent made anymore and they had no bits for it or anything. Shows how good their "training" is.

Deolman
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
You can purchase the adapters at Sears. Just go to their site and search for bit adapters. (I copied the link and put it in this message but Sears didn't like it when I tested it.) Do not purchase the kit - it will not fit your Carvewright. Don't forget the Blue Loctite, bad things happen if you don't use it.

supershingler
12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
lost

i have had mine since july and i got the whole package, bits, probe, and then purchases centerline a couple of weeks later

if you own a router and bits of your own dont get the bit set. just buy the 60 and 90 degree bits for sign making.

if you really get into this carving you will be wanting to put boards in the carver and do your routing on your router table or with your router.

welcome to the land of the carveaholics

if you aint hooked by the third carve your a rare breed

good luck

kendall

vbrabble
12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hello All,

New to the forum and just recieved my recon CC from Sears on Dec. 9.
Just wanted to be clear before I purchase something. I have a Sears giftcard I am itching to burn up. Please advise if the item shown in the below link address will work with the CC.

Thanks in advance and I am happy to be a part of this community!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921780000P?mv=rr

cnsranch
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
A CC owner will surely answer your question - I admit I'm a little confused about the bits Sears has to offer.

Take a look at this thread in the meantime.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9572