PDA

View Full Version : Cool Tools Video Question

James RS
12-10-2008, 03:59 AM
I watched the Carver on Cool Tols and wondered this, I thought there had to be 7 inches added to the project. In the video they carved a nameplate that wasn't very long at all.

Thanks,
Jim

pine acres woodshop
12-10-2008, 05:33 AM
You don't have to have the seven inches added, it is safer to have the seven inches, and there's less chance of the work piece shifting or bumping into the roller knocking it out of wack.
Mark

mtylerfl
12-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Hello,

If you skip the step of adding 7" to your project boards, you are "asking for trouble". Many newcomers are oblivious to this step and wonder why they have problems.

The vast majority of so-called "machine problems" can easily be avoided if the user will follow very basic steps and precautions. Adding at least 7" to the actual board and staying under the rollers is the simplest and most basic of steps to assure your projects go smoothly.

If you are concerned about material waste, become familiar with the use of sleds, carrier boards, or rails (read the April 2008 Tips & Tricks for info).

Doesn't matter if you viewed someone else taking a risk by not adding the proper length - let 'em - they'll likely regret it at some point down the road. ;)

James RS
12-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The only reason I ask is watch the video and it looks pretty plain that there's not an additional 7 inches added on. And this is at a show where they're setup for demo's.

Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
The only reason I ask is watch the video and it looks pretty plain that there's not an additional 7 inches added on. And this is at a show where they're setup for demo's.

Thanks,
Jim

Their mistake;)

HelpBot3000
12-10-2008, 03:44 PM
It's true. Like Michael (who by the way, if he gives anyone advice I'd pay close attention. He's one of the best.) and the others said it's at your risk. You can say no to stay under rollers and it may carve out just fine. But with there being a way to secure the board even better, why wouldn't anyone choose to use it.

Reset
12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Thought I was having one of those deja vu moments :)

But the diy segment was brought up awhile ago. (if it is the same one. If not, what happened with the first one?).

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5051&highlight=cool+tools

I think, there was another thread about the multiple Designer project windows on the computer, but couldn't find that one.

And wasn't there another demonstration video that the 7" was left out? Or is this the same one?

Don't forget too, a sled can be used in order to save the 7" of wood for each carving. (a 7" board 12" wide and 1" thick is only ½ board foot... but it adds up!).

Imagine if it actually carved as fast as shown in the "fast forward" portion of the video? There wouldn't be any trees for hundreds of miles around the Digitalwoodshop and the sawdust plume would be seen clear to Texas!

Tommy :)