PDA

View Full Version : Picture to carving accuracy

jonbowen234
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
We have a large curved mural wall made of clay. I need to find a way to reproduce the 1' by 1' tiles that make up the wall. Sometimes they fall down and break. We have been luck because the detailed pieces have not fallen yet. This is a precious irreplaceable part of our facility. We want to preserve it. Would the carvewright software be detailed enough to recreate these blocks from pictures? We cannot remove them from the wall and scan them using the scanner. We could scan them after they fall but that would introduce cracks that we would need to edit out. Any Ideas?

Jonathan Bowen

Amonaug
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
With some work and editing it might be done depending on the quality and definition of the photo. But realise the photo has no height information, a photo is basically taking color and light turning it to grey and getting a simulation of the object. You would have to edit the photo so that the height information is correct. The CW works in absolutes and uses the grey in the photo to tell it how deep to carve into the wood. Black is the surface of the board white is the bottom of the board and all the greys are in between.

Easiest would be to scan them, even if cracked editing that out wouldn't be too hard and may require less work.

supershingler
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
my suggestion would be to take some modeling clay and copy your tiles on the wall. then take and pour plaster of paris or something similar in the moulds and let it harden and then use the scanning probe to make a duplicate. i have copied moulding on an antique clock using this i just need to get the time to scan the plaster cast and see how it turns out.
it might be a lot of work but only way i can think of to do it

good luck

kendall

atauer
12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Kendall,

Your solution sounds the best to me. Pictures will work, but it will take a while to edit the height information. And with not being able to pull down the tiles, it is hard to scan.

I like the plaster copy idea.

:)

Amonaug
12-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Kendall,

Your solution sounds the best to me. Pictures will work, but it will take a while to edit the height information. And with not being able to pull down the tiles, it is hard to scan.

I like the plaster copy idea.

:)

I agree, I keep forgetting about making molds, you don't even have to cast the mold. Scan the mold (as long as it's a hard mold) then invert it in designer.

supershingler
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
i have to confess i read about this in the tips and tricks section

i would like to lay claim to the idea but someone would call me out lol

kendall

www.go3d.us
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I suggest using liquid latex rubber mold to make a replica instead for such a large object.
HT