PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Lithopane

James RS
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I wanted to try a lithopane, but didn't want to pay 30$ for a couple of pieces just incase I messed up. So off to Loews where I got a couple of 8 x 10 cutting boards, I figured 6 bucks is a alot cheaper and I'm very happy with the result. Now I need to build a box anybody have some plans for say a 5 x 7 box?

Thanks to all who posted there results and tips it helped me greatly I did what JLT did in
his post Lithophane of a Gainsborough. Thanks!

Jim

Kenm810
12-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Jim, Nice results for a first try.
Run back to Lowes for one of their
$9.00 fluorescent puck lights,
they've been working for me so far.

James RS
12-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I did that also when I bought the boards, just trying to design a box now.

Thanks,
Jim

JLT
12-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Jim,

Looks great! Glad my post helped. It's hard to beat the satisfaction of a Lithophane as it doesn't require a lot of set up, and the results always draw a lot of interest!

Jon

P.S. When I get a chance in the next few weeks, am itching to try the Bone Corian that CW is now offering. Will do the same litho twice, once in the corian and once in the cutting board, as a comparison.

P.P.S. I should probably edit my original post and you've probably already taken measures, but make sure you clean the Y and Z axis belts and their respective gears/pulleys, as some of the waste material will sit in the teeth. Also, I find that I have to rub my hand along the rollers, turning them along the way, to knock off all the shavings.

BBrooks
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
That looks incredible Jim! Now I have to read up on lithophanes...damn, lol.

cheers,

lmbkb
12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey guys,
I read on this site alot about wanting corian for a fair price. I sell corian to alot of guys on this site already. They seem to be pleased with the price and material I send them. I just want to put it out there for the guys I don't help yet and the new guys . I have 1/4" and 1/2" in stock right now. I only have 5x7 or smaller sizes in white right now but I have any size you need in bone,bisque or natural pearl.

I feel my prices are fair compared to others.

I sell on ebay but my prices on there are more because of ebay fees. If you want corian email direct instead of ebay because I can give you alot better of a deal.
My email address is lmbkb@comcast.net. Please put need corian in subject so I don't overlook the email.

robbrigg2
12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I just posted this on another thread but I think it is worth mentioning here as well. You can purchase 4' x 8' acrylic sign material from sign supply houses for around $100 per sheet depending on the thickness you want. It comes in a variety of colors and it is easy to cut down for your needs. Just a tid bit to help the wallet.

Ike
12-08-2009, 02:13 AM
I just posted this on another thread but I think it is worth mentioning here as well. You can purchase 4' x 8' acrylic sign material from sign supply houses for around $100 per sheet depending on the thickness you want. It comes in a variety of colors and it is easy to cut down for your needs. Just a tid bit to help the wallet.

Maybe we could all chip in and buy some? We would need to have one person cut it to size. I would imagine it could be cut on the table saw? I thought about doing that buying a sheet and selling it for what it cost. say a 4' by 8' sheet cut into four 12" by 48" pieces and the sheet cost $100.00 bucks then $25.00 per piece plus shipping. Or $12.50 per 12" by 24" piece etc.

Ike