PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text

tjcarver07
12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a pattern already cut out (.25 depth) and want to add text below that. If I hide the pattern, it just shows the new text below the front of the board. Need help (don't want to do the entire pattern over). Thanks

cdn_rider
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
what if when you go to your program you enter the depth of the fonts as greater than .250 than it would show up as from before the material was cut out. even if it was just to a depth of .3 than it should show up.

Just throwing ideas there as well. Im also learning.

But i will check back to see what other responses you get as well so that i to know in the future

pat (cdn_rider )

DocWheeler
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
tjcarver07,

If I understand your question: You have carved a pattern on a board and now you want to add text under the carving (below it on the board and on the top surface of the board).

What I would do is to bring up the mpc in Designer, add the text, delete the pattern, save it with a different name, and carve this new mpc.

There would be several other ways like putting a zero depth carve region over the carving etc., but this is what my first thought would be.

Digitalwoodshop
12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I made this Fire Clock using a pattern that makes the area where the Fire Department name goes is carved so it is lower than the top of the board.

What I did was make the project but left the name areas blank and named that project #1

It would carve normal.

Now for the centerline text in a recessed area. Call up project #1 and rename it #2.

Set the pattern height to something close to zero just to bring it up to close to the surface of the board. Then I do the centerline text names with V60 and in this clock I did BOLD but it was too deep. Next time I would do Normal.

Now I delete everything except my 2 centerline test areas and save the .mpc.

So you cut #1 normal.

Then cut #2 but have your machine set to ASK YOU for where to check board top. It will stop and ask you to JOG to the position to find the top of the board. Jog to one of the recessed name areas and let it find the depth in your recess. Let #2 carve and your all set...

AL

AWoodsmith
12-11-2008, 12:08 AM
I created a project and set a carve region of .300. The problem is I am trying to use centerline text and it does not show in designer, but I figured it new it was there so did not worry. Well, the mpc. carved and when it attempted to carve the text with the v60 bit it did not touch the recessed surface. It took the measurement and then found the surface of the board but it found the part of the board not carved and that will be cut off. How do I the CW to carve the text and actually see it in the carve region, I really do not want to redo this 5 hour carve, and it is a Christmas present.

HELP

AWoodsmith
12-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Here is the file.

DocWheeler
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Ed,

Centerline always carves on the top surface of the board.
You can do either of two things that I know of (and have done neither!).
1) Create a second mpc with just the centerline text and have the bit "touch" in the recessed area where you want the text (as Al showed).
2) If that does not work for you then save your current mpc as another name and remove all but the text (as in #1) but use two bits where one is .3" shorter than the V bit you use for the Centerline text. Insert the shorter bit at the prompts and only insert the longer V bit just as it starts to carve the text. (have the "touch" area on the high surface here).

Hope this helps

Digitalwoodshop
12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
So what he is saying is you need to carve just the numbers a second time.

Rename the fine.

Bring the carving depth up to .01 just so you can see the text. Adjust the text as you have already.

Delete all the objects except the text.

Cut the text file with your setup set to ask you to jog to the bit test position. You jog the head to the recess area and let it find the depth at your recess area. It will think it is carving the top of the board.

This is the same as I posted above just stated differently.

Need more help, let us know.... I would post the .mpc file but it is a Font I do not have so it will change the look of your project.

AL

AWoodsmith
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Doc,

I tried what Al suggested but just realized I missed this step. So you cut #1 normal.

Then cut #2 but have your machine set to ASK YOU for where to check board top. It will stop and ask you to JOG to the position to find the top of the board. Jog to one of the recessed name areas and let it find the depth in your recess. Let #2 carve and your all set...

So I will try that again tomorrow and then try your other suggestion. You guys are so helpful and I really appreciate it. I will let you know if it works and post the new mpc. if it does. Cross your fingers, I am crossing mine...

Ed

AWoodsmith
12-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I tried that jog to position thing last night but not sure if I did it right. This is what I did, I changed the file as you suggested, loaded it and went to the CW. I went to the user options on the keypad and turned jog on. I must not have done it right because I did not know how to get it to move to the recessed area. Can you tell this very dumb guy how to do it correctly? Again, you guys are saving me five hours and a Christmas present.

Ed

Dan-Woodman
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Push the arrow keys on the keypad.
later Daniel

AWoodsmith
12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
LOL, I did that, but I mist not have done it right, I got the head to move away from and towards the keypad but was not sure how to get it to mov forward and back to get to the cut out area. I know I sound dumb and I could blame it on my pain pills, but really I do not know why I am being so dumb. I think a fairy flew in and hit me with some dumb sumb dust...

LollyWood
12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
For the jog feature Ed, the up/down arrows will move the head L/R towards/away from the keypad. The arrow buttons at the bottom of the keypad will move the board (X axis) back and forth in the machine. Once you have the bit where you want to touch, just hit enter. The machine will use this spot for all bits loaded after that and "touch" them to that spot, so if you require a different surface height, you'll have to redo the steps for that bit(s). hope this helps.

AWoodsmith
12-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Dude it helps more than you know. I will get this done tomorrow afternoon sometime. I have to go to my doctor first then get a new motherboard for a computer I built. Then back to carving. Thanks to all that answered me, this yong Jedi is always willing to learn from the rest of you, and you have all taught me good stuff. Thanks again I really appreciate your time and effort.

Ed

AWoodsmith
12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Now I cannot get the machine to ask me where to place the bit, can someone walk me through that step to insure I am just a bit dumb and my machine is not messing up. Sorry guys, I know I am being a pain in the a**.

Ed

AWoodsmith
12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
OK, I got it to jog to position, but now the 60v bit will not touch the recessed area and it keeps going through the homing process. I am going to try the 90v bit and see what happens, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. My e-mail is wolf1268@highland.net

Ok, That did not work either the 90v bit did not touch the surface either.

Ike
12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Ed, did you change each bit when the CW asked for it at the beginning of the project? Or did you keep the 1/16 ballnose in for each bit asked? That will make the machine keep looking for the bit if it isn't the one it checked.

Ike

AWoodsmith
12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Ed, did you change each bit when the CW asked for it at the beginning of the project? Or did you keep the 1/16 ballnose in for each bit asked? That will make the machine keep looking for the bit if it isn't the one it checked.

Ike

No I switched the bit everytime. Like you said it must have something to do with centerline. I am going to try the raster mode after this other project finishes in about 3 hours.

DocWheeler
12-13-2008, 08:11 PM
AWoodsmith,

Now you understand why I gave two options in my previous post!
I had that same problem if I remember correctly (which seems to be getting harder to do) :(

Dan-Woodman
12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Ed
When you deleted the patterns except the fonts in designer , did you also resize the thickness of your board to match the carve region already done ? Try that. Also you don't need go to options and turn on jog to touch,as that will make it jog to touch every time.
Start your font program at the machine , go through all the bit setup, but when the bit starts coming down to touch the top of the board,push stop, then read the keypad ,push arrows up or down till jog to touch . then jog to the area, push enter.
later Daniel

AWoodsmith
12-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Ed
When you deleted the patterns except the fonts in designer , did you also resize the thickness of your board to match the carve region already done ? Try that. Also you don't need go to options and turn on jog to touch,as that will make it jog to touch every time.
Start your font program at the machine , go through all the bit setup, but when the bit starts coming down to touch the top of the board,push stop, then read the keypad ,push arrows up or down till jog to touch . then jog to the area, push enter.
later Daniel
You guys are full of usefull information. This is what I did, I did try to resize the board but it still did not work. So I used one of the other suggestions. I used a shorter bit and then when it went to carve I lifted the cover and it stopped. I then put in the carving bit and now it is carving raster mode as we speek. It do not have any bits shorter than the 60v so I could not juse that trick on that one. I hope I can figure out a way to use Centerline on a recessed area though. Thanks everyone for helping so far. I or we have to figure out how to use centerline on a recessed area, that frustrates me....