PDA

View Full Version : IPOD or MP3 player covers?

mstang64bb
12-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Hello all,

Has anyone carved a wood case or cover for their IPOD or MP3 player would and be willing to share it? I'm a middle school teacher who has some students that want to use our Compucarve to make covers or cases for their players.

Thanks, Bob

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi Bob and welcome,

Never tried that but I'm sure it can be done. I don't even know what one looks like or it's size and dimensions (old dog here) but if your machine has the probe, you can scan the cover and reproduce a replica of it.

mstang64bb
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. However I do not have a probe at this time. It's on my wish list for next years budget.

Bob

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Where are you located Bob? I'm in PA.

Are all Ipod covers the same size and shape? If I could get my hands on one I could do the scan and post the MPC.

I think my kids have them but their away at collage right now. Maybe when they come back for Christmas break I could scan one.

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I just went to Apples site. It would "appear" there are 4 different types (Shuffle, Nano, Classic and Touch) and they are all different sizes and configurations for buttons and screens.

It would seem it would have to be a custom cover for each one.

HelpBot3000
12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
This is true about the different sizes for different models. Additionally, with each new "generation" of each iPOD they change the size (height, thickness, etc.) which forces folks to get new cases every time they upgrade. This is a very interesting idea about the wood case though. I would really like to see it if someone can generate a pattern for it.

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Although it would appear they would have to be pretty thin, I have no doubt that a pattern or scan could be done. I've done many outlet covers and although not the same, they're close enough to make me think it's possible.

Kenm810
12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I just did a quick Google Search on wooden iPOD cases
and found 15 pages of them

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Well there ya go!! Almost looks like they would slide into those covers?

But then hey, what's the fun in just "buying" them?....LOL

HelpBot3000
12-05-2008, 10:47 AM
That third one is the iPOD "Touch". It's like an iPhone but without the phone part. My wife has one of those. If anyone comes up with a pattern for a case for that one let me know.

HelpBot3000
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Oops, I just looked again, looks like that third one IS the iPhone. But still if anyone gets a pattern for the touch I'd still like to know about it.

mstang64bb
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
The pictures that Ken has posted is what I'm looking for. As I said, I have a class of 8th grade students who wish to make them. They each have their own version of IPOD, Sansu,and other brand names. I guess a pattern of just about any one would do. I sure there is a kid who has the right player to fit it. I also curious as to how the fit and finish would be.. At this end, any pattern would be helpful....

Bob

MetroGnome
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
When my probe arrives on Monday I will scan my iPod Touch.

lawrence
05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
When my probe arrives on Monday I will scan my iPod Touch.

Make sure to cover the tip with a glue tip-- I'd hate for you to scratch up your ipod-- I love mine (and heck, it is government issue so if I messed it up I'd have to pay for it)

Lawrence

LittleRedWoodshop
05-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I did not make these patterns and I haven't cut them. I found them in my MPC file so I would guess that they came from this forum. It may have been upto 2 years ago though. Hope they help.