PDA

View Full Version : Working with PDF AND DXF Files

ScottS
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Hello all,

I have some Rc Boat palns that are free and they came in a pdf and DXF files. I do not have a program to open the DXF But was curious if anyone knew how to get these into the carvewright programs in a 100% scale?

Any help here would be greatful as I don't really want to spend hundreads on any special program.

Or anyone willing to explain or take this task on for a fee?

Thanks ScottS

andes
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Scott, not sure this will help, but I use corel draw and import the pdf. I then make my edits and export to a png. Now with the dxf I have a program that converts the file.

ScottS
12-04-2008, 10:45 PM
So I assume it's gonna take another program other than designer to get this to work.

Is your other program for the dxf files by chance freeware?

Thanks,
Scott

sewpeck
12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I would be willing to give it a shot. I have Turbo-cad and Pattern editor and lovew fooling around with this stuff.

ScottS
12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Here is where I got the plans . The gentleman that designed them is Marcell. He is froom the netherlands and these are free plans,so I nor anyone else can charge for them. I downloaded the zip which has a pdf and a dxf files.

Here's where I got them.

http://cid-d15bb0f76da55eb3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/MaxCat/MaxCatV1-L.zip the file is the one onthe left Maxcatv1-L not the old file.

This just happens to be my other hobby. Slap in a weedeater motor some hardware and this cats been gps at 58+ mph.

Thanks for the help.

ScottS

FiddlemakerMills
12-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Here is one that I had some luck with converting.

ScottS
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have something to work with and will update as I get this project started.

Thanks ScottS

bjbethke
12-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have something to work with and will update as I get this project started.

Thanks ScottS

Scott, I was able to load that DXF file on my CorelDraw X4 program. It looks like that pattern is 86 inches long and 10 inches wide on the pontoons. I have all the images in PNG format. This is one of the MPC's. May need to send the file on a CD. I'll e-mail you. you should be able to use 1/4 inch ply wood

ScottS
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Scott, I was able to load that DXF file on my CorelDraw X4 program. It looks like that pattern is 86 inches long and 10 inches wide on the pontoons. I have all the images in PNG format. This is one of the MPC's. May need to send the file on a CD. I'll e-mail you. you should be able to use 1/4 inch ply wood

I appericate all your help. The patterns look good. I'm just a little confused If I can figure this one out I think I'll get it. If I take this pattern click on it and look at the size Take the size x 1.5 on a calculator and enter the new # only the outside of the pattern changes. it does not change the inside cutout. so if I click on that and times it by 1.5 it does not stay in the right perspective. does that make since? I have inclosed what I'm talking about. I increased the board Took and clicked on the image increased by 1.5 then clicked center and increased by 1.5. any ideas?

ScottS

bjbethke
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I appericate all your help. The patterns look good. I'm just a little confused If I can figure this one out I think I'll get it. If I take this pattern click on it and look at the size Take the size x 1.5 on a calculator and enter the new # only the outside of the pattern changes. it does not change the inside cutout. so if I click on that and times it by 1.5 it does not stay in the right perspective. does that make since? I have inclosed what I'm talking about. I increased the board Took and clicked on the image increased by 1.5 then clicked center and increased by 1.5. any ideas?

ScottS
Scott, you need to make the pattern adjustments on the pattern only. The cutout parts of the MPC patterns can not be changed. I sent you a copy of the PTN's of all the images. You need to start a new MPC, and make all changes in that MPC before you enter the cutouts. You could select all patterns and then Group then, you can change the size with the yellow arrows. hope this helps. BJB

ScottS
12-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Well I grabbed that ptn from the image 10 folder(1 PTN PER DIFFERNT IMAGE FOLDER) I opened it and was prompted to save as a pattern. (this is what I was trying to say earlier) the pattern has bumpy edges. Whats up with that? I'm sorry if I am being a pain but I just don't get it yet. If I can get this one down I can get the rest of them later. anyways I've include the pattern to start, the 2nd image is outlined with cut path fip out on outside and in on inside also on right is the orignal ptn to show the 1.5 resize if that is right? Pleas be patient as I will get this but my knowledge of this software is very poor to say the least.:(

scotts

bjbethke
12-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Well I grabbed that ptn from the image 10 folder(1 PTN PER DIFFERNT IMAGE FOLDER) I opened it and was prompted to save as a pattern. (this is what I was trying to say earlier) the pattern has bumpy edges. Whats up with that? I'm sorry if I am being a pain but I just don't get it yet. If I can get this one down I can get the rest of them later. anyways I've include the pattern to start, the 2nd image is outlined with cut path fip out on outside and in on inside also on right is the orignal ptn to show the 1.5 resize if that is right? Pleas be patient as I will get this but my knowledge of this software is very poor to say the least.:(

scotts
the pattern has bumpy edges. Whats up with that? The "bumpy edges is from the carving bit in the pattern file, after you outline PTN and select cutout bit you need to set the depth to zero or delete this file and only use the vector files. this will remove the bumpy stuff. to move the files you need to group the vectors. (select all, then select group) then you can move and size the pattern. Use the grid to change the size.

see my MPC

ScottS
12-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Ok I think this is right there resize 1.5 times the orignal I loaded the orignal for a size comparison . I also set teh 3.5" from side as once the ptn's delete you can not move the cut paths.

Thanks so much for your help on this. If its right let me know and I'll send some money your way asson as I can.

Thanks ScottS

Amonaug
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
You can still move the cut paths anywhere you like even after the pattern is deleted. Easiest way is to select them in the carving list. If you don't have the carving list visible go to
View > Carving list (at the bottom)

Using conventional Windows keys (shift-click or alt-click) select the 2 cut paths that make 1 shape and group them, or select all 4 for that row and group them. Then select the group and move it where you want.

BTW just for information the CW starts measuring from the right side of the board in designer.

ScottS
12-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks I was very tired last night . I figured that out pretty late .

Now Hopefully this is my last problem. I included the mpc. I have been fliping the cutout to the outside of the patterns and on and inside cutout I flip it inward. I have the folling mpc set like that. But this one as is won't cut a couple grooves needed for the ribs to lock into. There are serveral that either don't cut or cut some of the groove but not all. If I flip the cut to the inside it looks right but this will make the cutout groove to wide for the ribs to fit into.

tHANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR THE HELP.

ScottS

bjbethke
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks I was very tired last night . I figured that out pretty late .

Now Hopefully this is my last problem. I included the mpc. I have been fliping the cutout to the outside of the patterns and on and inside cutout I flip it inward. I have the folling mpc set like that. But this one as is won't cut a couple grooves needed for the ribs to lock into. There are serveral that either don't cut or cut some of the groove but not all. If I flip the cut to the inside it looks right but this will make the cutout groove to wide for the ribs to fit into.

tHANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR THE HELP.

ScottS
Scott I removed the waste wood from your MPC and all the cut outs are there. I e-mailed you a PDF to show the steps I used to make the image 11 cut out. I will try to post it here if it is not too large

ScottS
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Scott I removed the waste wood from your MPC and all the cut outs are there. I e-mailed you a PDF to show the steps I used to make the image 11 cut out. I will try to post it here if it is not too large

If I click on the mpc here and click the ptn and delete. It's not the cutout per say but the grooves that the ribs will sit in. The last one on the transome is not there and several are not their just maybe the bottom of the groove but not the whole (line).(These are the line I wanted set at 3/16 so the ribs would slide in them. Hopefully that makes since.

ScottS

ScottS
12-07-2008, 02:32 PM
FWIW,

Heres a pic of marcelL BOAT, this cat does 58+mph with a moded g260 weedwacker motor and tune pipe. I just posted to give all ya an idea on what I am bothering all you about.

Thanks ScottS

FiddlemakerMills
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM
FWIW,

Heres a pic of marcelL BOAT, this cat does 58+mph with a moded g260 weedwacker motor and tune pipe. I just posted to give all ya an idea on what I am bothering all you about.

Thanks ScottS

Its a neat project Scott.

The rib pattern that you posted, was that for a taylorcraft wing?

bjbethke
12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
If I click on the mpc here and click the ptn and delete. It's not the cutout per say but the grooves that the ribs will sit in. The last one on the transome is not there and several are not their just maybe the bottom of the groove but not the whole (line).(These are the line I wanted set at 3/16 so the ribs would slide in them. Hopefully that makes since.

ScottS
Scott, I think the cutout is there. On the MPC I can see what you are talking about, it does not show some parts of the cutouts with the complete board view showing. You need to select the "Hide Cutout" function to see your complete cutout. The MPC will not show the tabs also.

see images

ScottS
12-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Scott, I think the cutout is there. On the MPC I can see what you are talking about, it does not show some parts of the cutouts with the complete board view showing. You need to select the "Hide Cutout" function to see your complete cutout. The MPC will not show the tabs also.

see images

Yep your right. weird I always thought what you see in designer is what you get. So before you mentioned this i would zoom way in and flip the board an they appered to be missing.

Thanks Again .I believe I have it Jut trying to get it all on a 4'x8' piece of birch.:)

Thanks so much again BJB. I look forward to meeting you maybe next spring.

ScottS

ScottS
12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Its a neat project Scott.

The rib pattern that you posted, was that for a taylorcraft wing?

No the rib is part of the boat. maybe this unskinned shot will help.

TIMCOSBY
12-08-2008, 11:32 PM
http://anydwg.com/ they have conversion programs to go from dfx to pdf, dwg to jpg etc etc. the trial versions will only let you do three conversions at a time but so what i'm usually only doing one at a time.
they will convert both directions too.

BobHill
12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Remembrer that DXF files are vector and that Designer only imports raster images, thus if you allow that to be your design it's going to CARVE, not CUT, thus your edges will not be true, but beveled to the degree of the depth. Best to import your PNG (RASTER) into Designer WITH THE PARTS filled with black, thus when you are in designer use Outline Path and now you'll be able to vector CUT the parts out with true 90° edges.

Bob Hill