PDA

View Full Version : feather Question

roughcut
12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I noticed on some of the MPCs that other people submit they put a feather on objects or raised letters that are in a carve region is there a reason to do that or does it not make a difference at all ? I have tried to see the difference but I don't see any . :confused:

MikeMcCoy
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Just select various levels of draft in designer and rotate the graphic and you will see what it does.

fwharris
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I noticed on some of the MPCs that other people submit they put a feather on objects or raised letters that are in a carve region is there a reason to do that or does it not make a difference at all ? I have tried to see the difference but I don't see any . :confused:

Bill,

If the feathering is in a carve region it has no effect to the carving. The feathering is essentially carved away because it is in the carve region.

What Mike is talking about is the "draft" setting. It does add a slope to the object that it is applied to.

Dan-Woodman
12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Draft is less likely to tear out when carving small to medium lettering and objects with small detail.
later Daniel

Ike
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
The feathering outlines the carving and with raised lettering it works away the surrounding material around each letter. It makes the raised or outlined letters more 3D. Plus the wider you feather it helps with the painting process. The further away the edge surrounding the letters, the less likely you will get paint on the edge.

The more you feather 1/8" to 1/2" you will see the difference.

Ike

roughcut
12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
That is what I was wondering if it helped in the carving or just added more time to the carving proccess. Thanks All