PDA

View Full Version : Take a Look Please

James RS
12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Hello,
I got santa off here along with the plate and I came up with this. Any tips would be great

Thank You Everyone
Jim

HelpBot3000
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
lol took me a second to find Santa, when I opened designer he was hiding on the back. The pattern looks nice though!

Dan-Woodman
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Jim
Thats not bad at all. You have a small draft on"Happy Holidays" and no draft on 2008.
You have a slight lip on the front side , which will probably have to be sanded off or change your inset on the cutpath. But really it looks great. What you see is what you get.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
James RS,

Nice design.
Manipulating it to show a cross section sometimes helps put it all together.
Don't know if you did that or not, but here is a slice.

James RS
12-03-2008, 06:29 PM
LOL oops sorry about the stealthy santa, thanks Doc for the cross section view didn't even occur to me.

AWoodsmith
12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Exactly what is the inset for and how do you use it or when do you use it?

Ed

Jim
Thats not bad at all. You have a small draft on"Happy Holidays" and no draft on 2008.
You have a slight lip on the front side , which will probably have to be sanded off or change your inset on the cutpath. But really it looks great. What you see is what you get.
later Daniel

Amonaug
12-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Ed

Inset will move the bit either closer or farther away from the cut path, sometimes the default amount isn't quite right so you can fudge it a bit more. Max setting is .125

For regular paths the default carving put the middle of the bit directly on the path and the inset setting will move it either towards the outside or inside of the path depending on negative or positive values, again max is .125

mtylerfl
12-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Ed

Hello Ed,

Perhaps you don't know about the Tips & Tricks yet, so I thought I would alert you to that resource...

You can download the Tips & Tricks Newsletters for free. The issue that describes the inset function (as well as many other features) is the Sept 2008, Issue 12, "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights".

Click the link below my signature to download any or all of the Tips...

AWoodsmith
12-16-2008, 03:02 AM
:)First off thanks for the explination, I am glad I asked. I actually found some answers on the forum. I carved and cut out a sign for my folks and when it cut in the set cut path it cut too close and messed up the cross. After reading the inset explinations I am re-doing that sign tomorrow and I already redid the cut path using the inset. And believe it or not I have all the tips and tricks printed out and in a binder in my woodshop, I guess I just missed that part, or these damn pain pills are screwing up my head and memory, now what the heck was I talking about?????:-D

Thank you everyone.

Hello Ed,

Perhaps you don't know about the Tips & Tricks yet, so I thought I would alert you to that resource...

You can download the Tips & Tricks Newsletters for free. The issue that describes the inset function (as well as many other features) is the Sept 2008, Issue 12, "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights".

Click the link below my signature to download any or all of the Tips...

Amonaug
12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
:)First off thanks for the explination, I am glad I asked. I actually found some answers on the forum. I carved and cut out a sign for my folks and when it cut in the set cut path it cut too close and messed up the cross. After reading the inset explinations I am re-doing that sign tomorrow and I already redid the cut path using the inset. And believe it or not I have all the tips and tricks printed out and in a binder in my woodshop, I guess I just missed that part, or these damn pain pills are screwing up my head and memory, now what the heck was I talking about?????:-D

Thank you everyone.

You do know that the cut path option defaults to the inside of the cut path and "flip cut" flips it to the outside then the inset tool can be used to fine tune it?

cnsranch
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Since I'm kinda dense (no comments, please) the best way for me to know if my cut path is set correctly is to hide the cut out. If I've got it wrong, the design goes away - if I've got it right, the waste is wasted.