PDA

View Full Version : Stuk in "Change Bit mode"

Bill Binns
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm new at this but my machine is stuck in the "change bit " mode. Has anyone had this problem, please respond.

Amonaug
12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Make sure the bit is actually touching the bit plate (flap that pops out on the opposite side from the keypad) and the surface of the board.

GrammaPam
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Check the temperature where your machine resides. Even 50 degrees is usually too low and funny things happen. Also check for threads with quotes around the words in the search.
Good Luck
G.P.

Digitalwoodshop
12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome!!

A very common problem. Using the " " with a search like "Bit Plate" would give you a bunch of stuff to read. The Tips and Tricks has a bunch of stuff to cut down on pilot error.

This is a complicated machine, not a plug and play. Any problem you have in the next 6 months will have been posted here.

AL

Joe302
12-06-2008, 07:34 AM
i had this problem and it was only that the bit came loose and was sliding. it could not find the depth.

Kenm810
12-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

Everytime someome adds a little information about a problem,
all the folks on the forums benefit from your experiences with the Machine.

CraigBrownDesigns
12-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Bill,
Please don't take offense, but are you pressing the 'ENTER' key after the bit was changed?

CraigBrownDesigns
12-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Just read on another post that having the head pressure to high can cause this fault. Their pressure was in the 90's and LHR had him back it down to the mid 80's. It worked and cured the fault.

lostinthefrost
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I think I may be experiencing the same problem. Still a newbie as most of you will see my other posts. I thought I had this think licked, but it could be the qwarks that are killing me.

Pulled the bit out the other day to do a full cleaning. Last night I started it up again to start a new carve. It homed and measured the board, in the end it said to put the 1/16 bit in. I am 100% positive that's what i have been using the entire time. I havent even unwrapped the 1/8 yet. It did it for several patterns as I troubleshooted. It hit the plate on the right side correctly.

Any ideas? Master reset? the chuck seemed to be tight or in place.

cnsranch
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
The machine will always ask you to insert the proper bit during the measuring process, even if you already have it inserted. If it's already inserted, simply hit enter, it then will "home" the bit, measure its length by way of touching the bit plate, etc.

You may want to consider removing the bit after each carve, and leave it removed until the next carve - there are some horror stories of a bit getting stuck, sometimes by a little spot of rust if you leave it in the machine for a period of time.

lostinthefrost
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I did pull it out a few times then homed, but it kept asking for me to insert that bit each time. I even shut the machine off a few times in patience that it would help clear the "error" per say.
I have the feeling it could have been the temp inside my shop. Tomorrow will be spent all day playing (working) with the machine. I have been off it for 2 days and need it like a bad smoker having withdrawls.

cnsranch
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Couple of things -

First, make sure that the bit is touching the bit plate, and that the plate is coming out fully.

Also, make sure that when the bit touches the wood, that it isn't touching on an area that has already been carved.

Finally, in case you did, there's no need to assign a bit to your project when using only the carving or 1/8" cutting bits, the machine defaults to them automatically.