PDA

View Full Version : Got mine today

BBrooks
12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Good evening fellow carveheads,

I got in from work 1.5 hours ago, set it up (unboxed, registered software, flashed memory card, uploaded file, 10 minutes), cut out some small parts that I made with the Designer this weekend and it all worked.
To those new to this or lurking in the forum researching about a purchase I say read plenty here before getting it because knowledge is key in getting out of this machine what you want. It will work if you take care of the machine and take time with your designs.
I am impressed and say thanks to all of you folks here for the time and knowledge you have shared. I hope I can do the same as I get more time in the shop.

Cheers,

Bill Brooks
Glen Allen, VA
Printer, Zymurgist and now Carvehead :)

Digitalwoodshop
12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
WOW.... EXCELLENT Example of a FIRST POST !!!!!

To sum up your post.....

"I have been designing in the software, reading the forum and owners manual and my first carving experience right out of the box was a POSITIVE experiance".....

WOW.....

Give Bill an A+ GOOD JOB !!!

A shining example..... We could use more posts like that....

AL

Jeff_Birt
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Welcome Bill! "Zymurgist"? I had to google it...it's a 50cent word for brewer. Man, You can learn something new everyday here...:)

ßøøndøx
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Congrats BBrooks!
Glad to hear your first experience has been a good one.
Mine comes in tomorrow and hope to have similar successes.
(Been lurking here for a while too, reading up, and playing with the evaluation version of designer).

fwharris
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Bill,

Welcome a board to the carving world. Fantastic post on how to take the right approach to make the CW a very positive experience! Always did wonder what those "guests" were doing!

Can't wait to see some of the projects you probably have brewing up!

ChrisAlb
12-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Welcome Bill,

So cool to see someone taking the right approach and getting positive results. Looks like we have another carver who will undoubtedly produce great projects and teach us all a thing or two along the way.

GO GET EM!!...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Eagle Hollow
12-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Hey, Bill

Welcome to the carveaholics!! Most of us are waxing nostalgia relating to your great experience with this fastinating machine. Mine came out of the box and blew me away watching it carve my first designs flawlessly. Most everybody has had that experience. AND anytime I've had an issue, someone on this forum has lead me to a solution. I've also had a couple of problems that LHR resolved at no expense to me.

Congratulations! Carve away...and please post some pictures. Everyone loves them!!

p.s. There is a downside...Most of us waste time, mesmerized, staring into the machine as it's carving

Beerfaced
12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey, Bill

p.s. There is a downside...Most of us waste time, mesmerized, staring into the machine as it's carving

And I didn't realize you were watching:)

Robert

cnsranch
12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Welcome Bill! "Zymurgist"? I had to google it...it's a 50cent word for brewer. Man, You can learn something new everyday here...:)

Jeff, you've got waaay too much time on your hands - go carve something. :D

Kenm810
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
ßøøndøx,

In all the posts going back and forth,
I noticed that you're also a new member of the CW Forum.
So I wanted to extend a Welcome to you also,
We'll be looking forward to some of your projects and photos too.

CABINET MAN
12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
My mech. is still downand and it looks like I will not get it up untill after christmas.
Are there any carvers in the Seattle / tacoma wa. area that would have time to carve some parts for a toy chest before christmas? I will pay for your time, I think it will be around three + hr. I will deliver all needed to do job.

Thanks Dave

w2csa
12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Hello name here is Chris.
I have an imaging business doing glass etching, vinyl signs, Laser etching and sublimation.
I purchased the CW to compliment my other applications.
I use Corel, and Flexi for my graphical programs.

Got my CW the other day.
Have been reading the forums ever since.
I hope to try a simple experiment tomorrow.
I have a few questions perhaps someone can help with.

I have read that the Flex shaft often comes without being lubricated.
I have pulled the shaft out, what are indicators that the shaft is lubricated, should it be wet to the touch?
Is WD40 OK to lubricate?
I have a laser thermometer, is there a nominal temp for the shaft during operation?
Finally, my first practical project is to make a 12" square picture frame with a O.D of 13.5 and a I.D of 11.5. a 12" etched mirror will go inside.
The back side would have a recsessed area for the mirror to fit in.
I'm sure this is possible but at this point I think I'm still to noobe to tackle this on yet.
I know this is a long post and appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions.
You all have done a great job with this forum, thanks for letting me join you!

Chris

cnsranch
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello name here is Chris.
I have an imaging business doing glass etching, vinyl signs, Laser etching and sublimation.
I purchased the CW to compliment my other applications.
I use Corel, and Flexi for my graphical programs.

Got my CW the other day.
Have been reading the forums ever since.
I have a few questions perhaps someone can help with.

I have read that the Flex shaft often comes without being lubricated.
I have pulled the shaft out, what are indicators that the shaft is lubricated, should it be wet to the touch?
Is WD40 OK to lubricate?
I have a laser thermometer, is there a nominal temp for the shaft during operation?
Finally, my first practical project is to make a 12" square picture frame with a O.D of 13.5 and a I.D of 11.5. a 12" etched mirror will go inside.
The back side would have a recsessed area for the mirror to fit in.
I'm sure this is possible but at this point I think I'm still to noobe to tackle this on yet.
I know this is a long post and appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions.
You all have done a great job with this forum, thanks for letting me join you!

Chris

First of all, welcome!! Soon you'll be a carvaholic like the rest of us!!

One of the great features of the Forum is the ability to do a search for a particular topic, or when you get to the point of searching for a pattern, etc. Try a search for "lube" or "flexshaft" , you'll find a ton of info.

Lubing the flexshaft is, in my opinion, the most important thing you can do in the beginning. I really fought it, having read the Forum like you before I fired up the machine. I was anal about the thing, and couldn't keep it "barely warm to the touch" (quotes are mine - that's what all say you want in a temp), even with using chain lube with moly - BTW, that's what LHR recommends for the lube - the moly is super lubricating - WD 40 won't work - don't use it.

Good thing you have an infra thermometer - I use mine all the time. Temp of the flexshaft where it curves the most shouldn't get above 95 degrees. Further, keep an eye on the cutting head (the silver part where the quick change is installed) I had concerns, and LHR said that if it stays below 120 degrees, you're ok - danger of destroying it above that temp.

Trust me, if you can find Crane Cams 99001 assembly lube for your shaft, go with that. It's about $10 per ounce, comes in two 1/2 ounce packets, but will last you forever. I fought the shaft's temp until I got the CC lube (thanks again Chris Alb, Oh Great One). I've put 50 hours on the machine since using Crane Cams, temp never gets above 95 degrees.

Again, as another sage one will tell you, search is your friend (is that MT or Jeff - can't remember, but you'll get to know and sorta like both of them :p

That's enough from me - we're all here to help, but remember, it'll be your turn to help sooner than you think!!

ChrisAlb
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
CNS,

I'm sure glad you jumped all over that WD-40 thing!!! What a scary vision I just had reading that post. I saw melted sheaths, flex shafts and springs just a flying all over the place...LOL Not to mention burned spindle bearings when that WD slides down the shaft...WHEW!!

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT. It's a RUST inhibitor and in my opinion, has NO place anywhere near the CW unless it's just to clean or free something (although nothing should ever be allowed to get that bad), and then be completely wiped off and a REAL lube used... http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

mtylerfl
12-06-2008, 03:39 PM
...Have been reading the forums ever since.
I have a few questions perhaps someone can help with...Chris

Hello Chris,

Welcome!

Just wanted to mention that many of your questions would have been answered by reading the CarveWright Tips & Tricks Newsletters - particularly the Dec ' 07 and Jan ' 08 issues. They will help you avoid common "newbie" mistakes and teach you how to properly lubricate and maintain your machine.

You can download the Tips & Tricks back issues via the link below my signature, or from the Learning Center at CarveBuddy (http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html)

To receive all future Tips & Tricks issues automatically (via email) you can visit the CarveWright Homepage (http://carvewright.com/) and fill in the box that says "Join Our Free Mailing List"

All the Best!

w2csa
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks to everyone!
Tried my first project today, a 8 x 10 edge routed plaque.
It came out fine and the FS stayed nice and cool.
Thanks for the info on NOT using WD40.
The only hiccup I had was when I first powered up I could not get past the accessory menu, I formatted the program card and everything was fine.
I must have missed that in the manual.
Next batch of reading will be the Tips and Tricks!

Thanks again,

Chris

Dan-Woodman
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Chris
Welcome and good luck . My advice would be to start out with simple patterns from the library, carving 0.125 deep. The default is 0.250 on patterns and carve regions and a lot of things just don't need to be that deep. A lot of mine I set around 0.190.
And remember " What you see-is what you get " in designer.
later Daniel

ChrisAlb
12-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Yep, and I would add that... what you see (When you tilt the board in Designer and look at an angle), is what you'll REALLY get.

Welcome Chris and have fun. read, read, read, this forum. It contains about everything there is to know. Of course if you still can't find it, ask. Lot's of great folks in here.