PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

DesertSkies
12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi all, I'm new at this and have been working on this design. I'm wondering if you think this will be a good carve the way it is now? I'm concerned about the lettering being maybe to close or to small. There may well be things I'm not seeing as well.
Any advice, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.
This is a great bunch. Thanks

Lin
12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Not sure if it will carve without chipping due to the small letters but from experience if you need to keep the height on the letter uner .100" I personally use from .06" up to .08" . And I like using a bit more draft on the letters. That has what has worked out well for me with the nameplate I make using the raster carving. Example attached....I also changed the board thickness to 1/2". You aren't carving deep...don't really need a 3/4" board unless that is all you have on hand.
Lin

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Text carved at .275 deep with a height of 100 and a medium draft. I do it like this all the time and it carves great. Mono-type Corsiva is my favorite font too...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Lin
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Chris, I have to ask...I opened the MPC you posted and the height looked a lot like the one I posted....at least if you put your cursor on the lettering and check the height of it to the height of the carve region. I showed the height to be .170" at the top of the lettering and .250" for the carve region....a difference of .08". Bascially the same as what I came up with just using a different set of numbers to acheive the same goal. Is this right??? Or am I confused....lol....be careful I am easily confused..
Lin

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Yep!...LOL that would be exactly right Lin. You can achieve the same results and get there using different paths. I do it this way because I do a lot of pattern layering and this gives more control over heights and depths. By setting the depth deeper, I'm just pushing the text down into the region more. This way I can leave the height at 100 and get the same as you did.

DesertSkies
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys for your help, I appreciate it.