PDA

View Full Version : just can't quit on the last supper

myshop1044
11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
My wife said I should paint the letters and polish it more, what do wives know?
But she was right. Not that I showed it to group of ladies at the office, I guest I will be doing some more in different Corian colors and in Cherry, Mahonagy, and maybe in Walnut to see how they hold the carve. Anyway here is the final one in Corian it think, anyway what do wives know!!!!.

Perry

supershingler
11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
great job perry

i did one in oak and it turned out nice

maple is my next carve

kendall

mtylerfl
11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
But she was right. Not that I showed it to group of ladies at the office, I guest I will be doing some more in different Corian colors and in Cherry, Mahonagy, and maybe in Walnut to see how they hold the carve. Anyway here is the final one in Corian it think, anyway what do wives know!!!!.

Perry

That's beautiful, Perry. What did you use to polish it up so nicely?

leesheridan
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Perry it looks great. I like the scroll. I hope to take on a project at our Church, the offertory table. It's had a lot of use over the years and I believe the CW will really make it stand out. Another thought for the lettering for your cut might be "In Remembrance of me". I would love to have your mpc. Have you shared it? Perry, great work. And your wife has a good eye for such.

RayTrek
12-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Perry, That is Beautiful looks like it could last a couple thousand years and people will still admire it Thanks for showing it to us.
Ray

Rocky
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Perry

Very, very nice job! Did you buy the pattern? If so, where? I'd like to get it also.

myshop1044
12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I will try to answer all the questions.
1. The pattern comes from the pattern store, it is listed as last supper scroll.
2. I had a piece of Corian about 11 7/8" by 13" and I fit everthing on it. I left
enought on the edges to maybe router a nice edge on my router table, don't waste your carving time.
As for the polishing, I took some advice from Kendall in a E-mail he sent me.
I sand my piece before I start carving, so the area that does not get carve already the the shine on it.
I use 120 grit (wet and dry sandpaper)to start and spray a light coat of water from a spry bottle I got from my wife, I sand it good and rinse off the coating and do it again. After 2 passes I go to 220 grit paper and then on to 400 grit with water spray each time, you an go on to even more finner paper if you wish.
But the real secret to the shine if you don't want to spent a lot of time sanding after the carving is finished is Minwax Polyurethane clear Gloss spray, I cheat a little. I then use a 220 grit sanding sponge to knock off the air bubbles from the clear gloss. There is a marine paste wax you can use to really shine it up, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
so now you all know all my tricks ha!
P.S. hey Kendall sent some pictures of your wood carvings of the scroll, I would like to see how the other woods do with this piece.
Perry

supershingler
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
here is the last supper that i carved in oak

it is not the scroll one that you did.
i used a pattern form the gallery and it turned out nice
although the picture doesnt do it much justice

your one in corian is really nice

my next one is going to be in maple need to get it done next week as it is a christmas present

keep up the good work

kendall

Rocky
12-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I will try to answer all the questions.
1. The pattern comes from the pattern store, it is listed as last supper scroll.
2. I had a piece of Corian about 11 7/8" by 13" and I fit everthing on it. I left
enought on the edges to maybe router a nice edge on my router table, don't waste your carving time.
As for the polishing, I took some advice from Kendall in a E-mail he sent me.
I sand my piece before I start carving, so the area that does not get carve already the the shine on it.
I use 120 grit (wet and dry sandpaper)to start and spray a light coat of water from a spry bottle I got from my wife, I sand it good and rinse off the coating and do it again. After 2 passes I go to 220 grit paper and then on to 400 grit with water spray each time, you an go on to even more finner paper if you wish.
But the real secret to the shine if you don't want to spent a lot of time sanding after the carving is finished is Minwax Polyurethane clear Gloss spray, I cheat a little. I then use a 220 grit sanding sponge to knock off the air bubbles from the clear gloss. There is a marine paste wax you can use to really shine it up, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
so now you all know all my tricks ha!
P.S. hey Kendall sent some pictures of your wood carvings of the scroll, I would like to see how the other woods do with this piece.
Perry

Thanks, Perry. I looked at the Last Supper patterns in the Pattern Depot. The one you used is $10 and the one above it is $50. I see some differences, but do you have any idea why one is 5 times more than the other?

myshop1044
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Rockey
I saw the same thing and I sent a E-Mail to the patteren store people asking the same question, why is there so much difference in price and got no answer.
I would like both of them but not at that price.

Maybe it would be nice if we could rate the patterns as they do on E_bay and maybe even find out how many of one kind of pattern has been bought.
This may give us insight as the quality of the pattern rather than put luck when you buy one.
does anybody else have a comment on this subject.

I like the pattern store concept, I don't mind buying them if they are of good quality.

oh well have to go and carve some more tonight.

Perry

Rocky
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Rockey
I saw the same thing and I sent a E-Mail to the patteren store people asking the same question, why is there so much difference in price and got no answer.
I would like both of them but not at that price.

Maybe it would be nice if we could rate the patterns as they do on E_bay and maybe even find out how many of one kind of pattern has been bought.
This may give us insight as the quality of the pattern rather than put luck when you buy one.
does anybody else have a comment on this subject.

I like the pattern store concept, I don't mind buying them if they are of good quality.

oh well have to go and carve some more tonight.

Perry

I like your rating idea, Perry.

I wish I could carve tonight. My 4 month old CW has its 2nd major problem in 2 weeks. :mad: I called CarveWright and left a message, but no one has called me back.

fwharris
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I think the answer to your pricing questions of the patterns is that the person who creates the pattern is who sets the price. LHR probably has a little input but I bet the creator is the price setter.

mtylerfl
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Perry. I looked at the Last Supper patterns in the Pattern Depot. The one you used is $10 and the one above it is $50. I see some differences, but do you have any idea why one is 5 times more than the other?

Free enterprise in action - vendors simply set their prices as they see fit.

JamesB
12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
The higher price model is ours (Vector Art 3D) - so I thought I would try and explain some of the reasoning behind it. As Michael says though ultimately its just market forces that will determine whether someone thinks its worth it or not.

We not only supply patterns through the Pattern Depot but we also supply models in other formats to customers with standard large format CNC routers through our own website. As we do not know how large our models may be carved we try to ensure a very high level of detail. This is not meant as a comment on the other Last Supper model as I have not looked at it in detail and that may be great too in which case it is the logical choice to buy!

The best I can say is our model was optimized to be cut at 24" x 12" with a 1/8 diameter ball nose tool in a low depth of material while still aiming to get good detail in the faces/figures in the scene (It can also be cut much larger than that if the machine can handle it). I do not have a photo of it cut on a CarveWright but below you can see it cut on a 4' x 8' CNC Router the part is 24 x 12 x 0.5" and it was carved in Walnut with a 1/8 diameter bit. There is a limit to how large a photo I can attach so I attached an image of the whole model and a close up. Hopefully this will allow you to better judge it. As for pricing we do actually charge less in the Pattern Depot than we do on our own site (this model is $75 there). In the end we set what we think is a fair price based on the work done to produce the model (this was made specifically by us and is not probed) and hope it is worth $50 for what you can make with it, if not then we don't sell any!

Thanks for reading,
James

mtylerfl
12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
James,

That pattern is awesome! Superb quality/detail at every level! Thanks for posting the pics.

Rocky
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
The higher price model is ours (Vector Art 3D) - so I thought I would try and explain some of the reasoning behind it. As Michael says though ultimately its just market forces that will determine whether someone thinks its worth it or not.

We not only supply patterns through the Pattern Depot but we also supply models in other formats to customers with standard large format CNC routers through our own website. As we do not know how large our models may be carved we try to ensure a very high level of detail. This is not meant as a comment on the other Last Supper model as I have not looked at it in detail and that may be great too in which case it is the logical choice to buy!

The best I can say is our model was optimized to be cut at 24" x 12" with a 1/8 diameter ball nose tool in a low depth of material while still aiming to get good detail in the faces/figures in the scene (It can also be cut much larger than that if the machine can handle it). I do not have a photo of it cut on a CarveWright but below you can see it cut on a 4' x 8' CNC Router the part is 24 x 12 x 0.5" and it was carved in Walnut with a 1/8 diameter bit. There is a limit to how large a photo I can attach so I attached an image of the whole model and a close up. Hopefully this will allow you to better judge it. As for pricing we do actually charge less in the Pattern Depot than we do on our own site (this model is $75 there). In the end we set what we think is a fair price based on the work done to produce the model (this was made specifically by us and is not probed) and hope it is worth $50 for what you can make with it, if not then we don't sell any!

Thanks for reading,
James

James, we appreciate getting your feedback. It makes sense to me. Do you think the CW 1/16 carving bit would be 'ok' with this pattern?

mtylerfl
12-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Rocky,

I'm not James, but I assure you - the pattern will carve flawlessly with the 1/16" bit.

myshop1044
12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks James for you response. I do understand your comments, since I do deal with the public on other woodworking projects and many times you cannot get what the project is really worth. They just want pay for the time and effort you put into the project.
The quality is very good and at the time I got the pattern I just couldn't see
the difference since this was my first pattern I ever bought.

You do quality work keep it up and I will look at you patterns on my next time around.

Thanks again

Perry

bizbiki
12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I carved one in cherry and it turned out great, no fuzzies to speak of. I finished BLO mixture then sprayed some laquer on it after several days.

JamesB
12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
In theory using a 1/16 ballnose you should expect the same level of detail you see in my photo but at half the size (12 x 6). If you were making it larger than that and cutting with a small tool the detail should get even better. The images below show the pattern in Designer set to be 12 x 6 x 0.25 - 1/16 bit and best quality.

Thanks,
James

fwharris
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
This is Vector Art 3D pattern of the Last Supper. I was contacted by James @ Vector Art to carve this on the CW to show their pattern detail.

Note that the red oak stain does not do the detail any justice in the picture, should have stayed with the golden oak.

The last picture shows the one I had the goof on pattern settings (top) and the correct pattern settings (bottom).

If you would like to see higher resolution pictures take a gander at: http://photos.ringneckblues.com

HelpBot3000
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow! Now those came out great! They picked a good candidate for showing off the detail in that pattern.

Rocky
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
This is Vector Art 3D pattern of the Last Supper. I was contacted by James @ Vector Art to carve this on the CW to show their pattern detail.

Note that the red oak stain does not do the detail any justice in the picture, should have stayed with the golden oak.

The last picture shows the one I had the goof on pattern settings (top) and the correct pattern settings (bottom).

If you would like to see higher resolution pictures take a gander at: http://photos.ringneckblues.com

I don't see any Last Supper photos at the link you provided?

fyrpuppy
12-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Look at the menu on the left there is a tab for "The Last Supper"

Rocky
12-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Look at the menu on the left there is a tab for "The Last Supper"

DAH! Dumb me, I was just focused on the photos. I see them now and they're very nice. Are the 2 little dark spots wood knots?

fwharris
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Rocky, Glad you found the pictures and yes the dark spots are small knots. Frypuppy, thanks for the help!

HBK3, not sure if I was the right person or not with the little brain fart I had with the original set up. The pattern even with the bit not optimized did carve with very nice detail. Also the oak with the grain does mask or hide a lot of the detail in the pictures and I feel does not do the pattern the justice it deserves. The red oak stain also came out darker than I liked on the end grain, should have listened to the wife and stuck with golden oak as it would have been a better comparison for showing detail. Live and learn I guess.

I use a lot of Vector Art's wildlife patterns and I am amazed with the small details that they put into them to make them look as real as possible. They definitely have the high tech art software and put a lot of time and attention to detail in each pattern. For me they are well worth the $$$$.