PDA

View Full Version : Burning and chatter

blanning
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I ran a sign through this evening. It's a christmas present for my mother. I used the centerline software and the 90 degree V bit. The lettering was about 6" high and 2' long, and looks like it went the maximum depth for the bit. This was a maple board. I'm very happy with the results.

My only complaint is that there's a fair amount of burning. Anywhere the bit depth was deep, it burned the workpiece. Also, there was a lot of chatter. You could see the flex shaft wiggling quite a bit. As a test, I also ran a piece of 3/4" plywood through and did just one letter. That burned so bad, I had to stop it because there was smoke coming out of the machine.

The bit was brand new, right out of the bit set. After carving the sign, it's in great shape.

I plan to paint the carved letters this time. But if I didn't want to paint it, I'd have to sand all the letters now. Any idea how I can reduce the burning and chatter? I'm worried about breaking something.

brian

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Brian,

Maple is really hard on a V90 bit.... I would run the project twice.... Once with normal text and a second time with the BOLD selected. This will just make the cut deeper with a slightly less of a cut and clean up the burn marks.

AL