PDA

View Full Version : Can you make money with this?

Don Moran
11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey I am new to this forum and am thinking of getting one of these due hickies. Was wondering if there is a money making potential with this or is it like a lot of other wood working pieces that don't sell once you have created something nice. I have some good ideas. Let me know if anyone had made some income. Thanks a lot. This may help me make my decision.

supershingler
11-29-2008, 09:43 PM
dan
i bought my machine in july and unpacked it on the 5th of july
buy the time i get my orders done for christmas ill have paid for the carver
and i am going to order another. you just need to find a niche that nobody else does like the lithos that is what is popular for me right now

good luck and im sure you wont be disappointed with your purchase

kendall

Major_A
11-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Don't try to buy this machine to set up a business around it. If you already have a business where you could use the machine to accent what you are already doing then you are better off. I see too many people looking at this to be their new primary income maker and that just doesn't happen.

LittleRedWoodshop
11-29-2008, 11:51 PM
but I believe that this machine can be a primary source of income. Look at the number of people that have prospered from the addition of a CarveWright Machine. People are using it to make litho's as Kendall stated. But, I can also see the side of adding it to an existing shop. My CarveWrights are the main source of income in my shop.

Check out WoodchipMagazine.com (http://woodchipmagazine.com) to learn more about this CarveWright.

The "DH"
11-30-2008, 07:47 AM
I have my own shop that started without the CW. Since adding one to my shop almost two years ago!!! my now 3 CWs are used for 80% of my orders and make money. As stated, you just have to find that little something that isn't already mass produced.

BTY, I like the magazine referenced!!!
Happy carving

Rocky
11-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Basically, I agree with Major_A. I like my CW, but with the couple of problems I've had with it in the short time I've had it I am very reluctant to commit to any significant amount of work. The CW is a nice addition to a home workshop, but if you want to use it as as significant part of a business, I'd suggest that you have 2 or 3 of them available.

Jason sells the CW and has been involved with the CW longer than me, so he does have a lot more background on the subject than I have. The forum (which is a great resource for the CW) is my best source of feedback and information regarding the CW; and, from what I have seen on the forum I haven't got the feeling that a lot have people have prospered with their CW.

LHR has been very helpful and supportive with my few problems with the CW.

Like I said at the beginning of this, I still like my CW.

ChrisAlb
11-30-2008, 08:09 AM
It really depends on your approach and what you're making to sell. For instance, if you intend to make mostly signs and plaques done mainly or entirely on the CW, then making substantial money is a bit tougher. But when you use it to augment things you already build like furniture or cabinet doors and drawer fronts, it's worth it's weight in gold.

I've been building coffee and end table sets for years. I have a "standard" set that folks like. When I add custom carvings to them I can almost double the price. Same wood, same materials and it's carving while I'm already building the other parts so it's really no additional time.

So can you make money? Absolutely!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

And oh, I only have one machine. Bought August 07, almost 400 hours, no problems except one board sensor that coughed up it's diodes on a 14 hour carve. In all honesty, that was my fault. When it had about 8 hours on it, the sensor got dust inside it. When i took it apart to clean it out, I broke the little posts on the cover. Still, I used it that way for about 200 hours before it went. So in my humble opinion, used and maintained properly, I have yet to feel the need for a "backup" machine.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
11-30-2008, 08:18 AM
One important thing to keep in mind is that it probably take a little while to start making money. Reason being is you want to have a good amount of experience with the machine before you can have 5 different custom orders wanted five different ways. You would have to know the machine and software well enough to make it do what you wanted to do. As anybody will tell you there is a bit of a learning curve. You would be surprised the things potential customers want carved.

FINGERS
11-30-2008, 08:43 AM
You have to relize at this isn't a plug-n-play machine you need to have some talent, ask your self can I do the finish work like sanding and sealing, painting and most important part making the sale, getting back to the machine, you have to have suporting tools for the machine like sanders,saws,sprayers and much more, You have to ask "yourself" Can I make MONEY with this machine.

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2008, 09:51 AM
YES is the short answer.....

Last year I made a little less than $4K as a business and this year I am at $12K and 75% of that is Wood Carved Stuff, mostly signs. I also do Sublimation, Vinyl, Laser Engraving, Fire Department products.

So YES you can.

AL

GrammaPam
11-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Problem with making money is that any potential income is surpassed by the desire to add new things to the shop. It's a hobby, it costs money. Still it's cheaper than a psychiatrist and you make lots of nice things for the home, family and all your friends. The occasional frustration keeps you from focusing on the real world problems. And it's fun trying to keep up with the forum.
G.P.

Reset
11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
http://compucarvewright.com/images/stories/common_pictures_and_logos/halfdollar.jpgSure you can... oh... never mind...

Tommy :)

Amonaug
11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Your milage may vary. As some have posted they can make a living off of it but it took time to get there. I started in March thinking I could dive in and make money. I've made about $1200+ since then but certainly not something I could live off of so now the business has been put on the side while I look for a job to live off of while I get more exposure for the business. Most of the money I did make went right back into the business for materials, new tools, etc.

Rocky
11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
It really depends on your approach and what you're making to sell. For instance, if you intend to make mostly signs and plaques done mainly or entirely on the CW, then making substantial money is a bit tougher. But when you use it to augment things you already build like furniture or cabinet doors and drawer fronts, it's worth it's weight in gold.

I've been building coffee and end table sets for years. I have a "standard" set that folks like. When I add custom carvings to them I can almost double the price. Same wood, same materials and it's carving while I'm already building the other parts so it's really no additional time.

So can you make money? Absolutely!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

And oh, I only have one machine. Bought August 07, almost 400 hours, no problems except one board sensor that coughed up it's diodes on a 14 hour carve. In all honesty, that was my fault. When it had about 8 hours on it, the sensor got dust inside it. When i took it apart to clean it out, I broke the little posts on the cover. Still, I used it that way for about 200 hours before it went. So in my humble opinion, used and maintained properly, I have yet to feel the need for a "backup" machine.

Chris,

I bought my CW for the same reason; to add carved designs to furniture and other projects that I make. For me, woodworking is more of a hobby, although I do make projects where I make a few "bucks". I have a web site http://www.marylandwoodcraft.com, maintaining it is also a hobby, although it's not current with items where I've added carvings.

I agree that one can make money with the CW, but I guess I had trouble with the word "prosper"......sorry.

You are luckier than me as far as problems go with the CW. I bought mine in August of 2008. I thoroughly clean and lube mine after every carve. The 2 problems I have had include the Z truck "freezing/stalling", and a control board failing. I'm now waiting for my replacement board (I hope the new board corrects the current problem). I have about 50 hours on my CW. With both problems, LHR has been very responsive. I recognize that with anything mechanical, "stuff" happens.

I'll repeat, I like my CW; and, I'm glad that I'm able, with LHR's help, to correct problems on site.

Thanks for the feedback on this thread, and the others where I needed help.

ChrisAlb
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, I don't know Rocky. You and I were typing our posts at about the exact same time this morning...LOL Yours beat mine by seconds.

But luck? I just don't know. I've really never had any. That's not a complaint, just an honest observation. But when it comes to machinery of ANY kind, it does seem that mine out last and out perform others.

My brother and I bought the exact same Dewalt sliding chops saws not more than a month apart. I got mine first. He has nothing but trouble and mine has never failed and I've never needed to anything other than plug it in and go. Yes...lol...new blades from time to time but even they last longer than my brother's do. He works with his in the rain, I do not. Mine gets cleaned at the end of everyday, his does not. I cut slowly through the wood using the slide, he "Chops" his wood.

Ask Al, he'll go through two sets of cut motor brushes to my one. I vacuum out my CW every 15 minutes including the cut motor vents. He's been through I don't even know how many traction belts. I'm still on my original ones.

So is it luck or annal care?? I honestly don't know. You tell me....LOL

wgrigsby
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I've had people ask me to make signs for mail box's like mine for them to give as Chrismas Gifts. I'm just not to that point yet. Yes I think a person could make money with this thing.

Rocky
11-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Well, I don't know Rocky. You and I were typing our posts at about the exact same time this morning...LOL Yours beat mine by seconds.

But luck? I just don't know. I've really never had any. That's not a complaint, just an honest observation. But when it comes to machinery of ANY kind, it does seem that mine out last and out perform others.

My brother and I bought the exact same Dewalt sliding chops saws not more than a month apart. I got mine first. He has nothing but trouble and mine has never failed and I've never needed to anything other than plug it in and go. Yes...lol...new blades from time to time but even they last longer than my brother's do. He works with his in the rain, I do not. Mine gets cleaned at the end of everyday, his does not. I cut slowly through the wood using the slide, he "Chops" his wood.

Ask Al, he'll go through two sets of cut motor brushes to my one. I vacuum out my CW every 15 minutes including the cut motor vents. He's been through I don't even know how many traction belts. I'm still on my original ones.

So is it luck or annal care?? I honestly don't know. You tell me....LOL

Is that anal or annual? LOL

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM

It's the Water up here in the Mountains..... We get all the Acid Rain from the Midwest Power Plants.

Like the red LACKtite.....

You should see the Rust colored Cows....

Snicker....

AL

Hexe SA
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
it pays for the wood I buy, the patterns and parts, and cuts down on the gifts I used to buy, but I don't have the time to make it full time. I like it being a hobby and that's what I bought it for.
Eva

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM

It was anal. Just poorly spelled...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif...LOL

liquidguitars
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes we can,

but like anything if you let your inventory slip like replacement parts and wood, you could loose money.

as a money making plan I recommend two or three units, + backup motors and sensor parts.

LG