PDA

View Full Version : Error: Too Thick To Cut Through

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 11:01 AM
My board is reality is 15/16" thick.
I'm trying to carve 4 patterns on it, each pattern with a cut path.
Am telling the software to use the 1/8" cutting bit, with a max pass depth of .25.

When I start my project on my machine, it gets to the point where it asks for the first bit (Bit M)...1/2" Classical, and measures the board thickness (I think that's what it's doing, right after "Homing..."), and then the LCD displays:

Too Thick To Cut Through.

I put my calipers all over my board after coming out of my planer, and it is indeed 15/16 everywhere!

ChrisAlb
11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Maximum depth of cut is .800"

mtylerfl
11-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello,

I think the max. Cut-through is 1" and the max. Carve depth is 0.8"

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Everywhere I read, I read that the max cut depth is 1". If it was .8, then I can see that I ned to plane my board down to .8. But if the max cut depth is indeed 1", I shouldn't be getting this error, true?

And, if I'm trying to cut thru a board thicker than allowed, wouldn't the software alert me to such?

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Yup, as I expected. I just told my software that the board is 1.5" thick, and I get the message:

"This board is too thick for the machine to cut. The cutting bit is limited to a one-inch depth".

So, my original question still stands.....confused....

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 11:56 AM
When I get that error that the board is too thick to cut through, it gives me the menu options:
1) Abort
2) Continue

Anyone know what would happen if I picked #2?

Would it remove the cut path?

Or would it still try and cut through? I hate that as a work-around tho, and I'd still like to know why I'm even getting the error.

supershingler
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe You Might Have To Just Cut A Little Shallower And Use A Scroll Saw To Finish The Cut

I Think If You Hit Continue It Would Still Cut But May Not Leave The Tabs Although Im Not Possitive

If You Cut It To 7/8 Deep It Wouldnt Be Much Left To Cut You May Be Able To Use A Utility Knife To Do It

Good Luck

Kendall

bjbethke
11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
When I get that error that the board is too thick to cut through, it gives me the menu options:
1) Abort
2) Continue

Or would it still try and cut through? I hate that as a work-around tho, and I'd still like to know why I'm even getting the error.
Most of the time I did that, it gives you a good cut, some times it leaves a little extra wood, easy to clean up with a knife and a sander. use #2

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
ok, that's cool. If that's all that happens, that's fine. I'll use my Dremel to cut it out if there's a bit more left behind.

ChrisAlb
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Sorry guys, my bad. it does indeed "cut" 1" deep. So 15/16 should be no problem.

So if it's not letting you, is it measuring the thickness correctly? Bit touching plate and plate not bent? Z travel free to move all the way down when measuring on the guide plate side?

mtylerfl
11-28-2008, 01:39 PM
1) Abort
2) Continue

Hello,

Apparently, that is a false error message if indeed the cut path is the one causing it. Go ahead and press continue, the cut paths should work fine.*

*Since we have not actually seen your mpc, there is no way for us to tell if there is some other element in the design itself that is causing the error - perhaps a valid one.

For example, if you assign a decorative bit a depth that exceeds its maximum depth capacity, that will generate an error message (I believe it is the same one... "Too Deep to Cut"). Just make sure you don't have anything in your design that causes the error. Better yet, post your mpc and we'll take a peek at it, unless of course you have non-copyprotected commercial patterns on it, then don't post it.

TurtleCove
11-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, I just told it to continue, but at about 50% done, the flex shaft popped out of the head, and it aborted. No idea why. I snapped it back in, and will fire it up again tonight, once I get a new board since this one is ruined.... :(

mtylerfl
11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I just told it to continue, but at about 50% done, the flex shaft popped out of the head, and it aborted. No idea why. I snapped it back in, and will fire it up again tonight, once I get a new board since this one is ruined.... :(

That's a shame - sorry you're having problems.

Make sure you are lined up with the square hole before snapping the flexshaft back in. It helps to place a white paper under it and look down through the top to get an idea of the positioning before reinstalling the flexshaft. Just need to be certain the flexshaft square end is in line with the hole. It is possible to snap the flexshaft into the top hat WITHOUT it being lined up with the square hole - I've never done it myself, but with enough "brute force" some folks have!

Also, check to be sure that the square hole hasn't been "rounded" at all. If the flex shaft was not fully seated and popped off like that, you need to check that the cable didn't cause any damage that would prevent proper operation.

MCGEE2SKINNER
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I have been getting that message ever since I upgraded. I always pick number 2 continue and it works out ok.

SAA3840
11-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I've gotten that message a lot when it's measuring for an edge route bit and I've always said to continue and had no trouble yet.

brdad
11-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been getting this error since the upgrade as well, and the connection seems to be with an edge rout, or at least in my case an edge rout with a cut pass.

I'd think this site could benefit from bug report section, where people could submit possible bugs and they could be dispelled or acknowledged by CW. It seems like many problems are sporadic, and you can often find where some users have similar issues, but often there is no definitive answer. A simple "yes, we have verified this is an issue and will correct it" or "this problem is not a known bug, and is most likely user error or a hardware issue" would make things easier IMO.

Hexe SA
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
got this message the first time with 1.131 when I loaded the trout clock project this weekend. It happened when the back was done and I flipped the board. Aborted and went thru an air carve for the back and after the flip and the cut bit loaded told me again too thick to cut. Aborted again. Loaded the runners from the sleigh project and carved just fine including cut out. So I'm not sure about version 1.131 being at fault. Went and erased the back on the trout clock project and will hopefully carve the front tonight.
Eva

mtylerfl
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hello Eva,

Next time you get that message, don't choose Abort, but rather choose Continue. It should do just fine (I do not know what is causing that "false" error, but in this case you can safely ignore it.)

oldjoe
12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Michael is right as usual.
Since I have upgraded to 1.131 I get that massage all the time when I have a cut out in a project so I just hit continue never have had a problem.

Beerfaced
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I have been getting that message ever since I upgraded. I always pick number 2 continue and it works out ok.

Yep, I get that one a lot. I always press 2 and it works just fine.

Robert

brdad
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Just choosing continue is fine, until the error is a valid one and something breaks. :(

jeff412
12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I get the same error and #2 works everytime.

Jeff

TurtleCove
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok, gang. Thanks for the answer.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com
Lowest prices on the web for thin boards...guaranteed!