PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Pass Cutting?

oldfogey
11-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Let's say I want to make several cuts to create various pieces of a project. Can I make the machine cut pieces which have a joint boundary? Could jigsaw type cuts be made so that the entire puzzle was on one board? If this can be done is there some way to do this and not cut through tabs left on previous passes? I am brand new here and am impressed by some of the people posting to this forum. I hope to contribute answers rather than questions once I get my sea legs. Thank you all for being here. Jerry Firman (oldfogey)

Amonaug
11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
From what I know you'd need to leave some space between cutouts so the tabs have something to be attached to. We cannot specify WHERE to put tabs for cut-out only the minimum number of tabs, how big and how far around the path. I guess if you would spend a lot of time measuring around the path to see what setting would be best for tab placement it would work.

Personally it's easier to just leave some space, otherwise you run the risk of tabs breaking and pieces flying all over the place and the chance for the bit to break on jammed parts, etc.

An alternative would be not to use the cut path tool but apply the 1/8" (or 1/16" if the cutout is 1/4" or less) cutting bit to the path then set the depth so that it leaves at least 1/16" of material on the bottom them use a dremel or scrollsaw, etc to finish cutting it out.

oldfogey
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Amonaug, thanks for the reply. My machine is yet to arrive but I have had the software for a week or so and I have read everything I can get my hands on. It may be that another solution would be some kind of double sided tape to keep pieces in place after cutting. I am sure there will be many questions in the future and I hope I have answers this graciously then. I certainly like what I see in this community. Lots of good boosters. Thanks again.

Kenm810
11-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Jerry,

A few times in the pass when I needed to cut out some irregular shapes in 1/8” stock,
I used the two sided tape that some folks use to put plastic sheeting over their window, in cold weather climates.
On some thicker stock I used two sided Carpet tape, but be careful it can be tuff to get your cut outs off the carrier board
after the 85lbs. from the pressure rollers pass over them a few times.
Another I’ve used is lathe wood turners 2 sided tape that you can get a Rockers or the Woodcraft Store.

oldfogey
11-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Kenm810, thanks for this suggestion. I am beginning to see that forethought will pay off big time if I only restrain myself and do what is practical rather than what I might want. I will be pushing the envelop and trying to get a little more out of my machine than it was intended for. After a few dozen bits and a machine or two I will learn. There has to be a way to make this thing dovetail even if I have to lop off the last few ears with a hack saw. Beveled edge anyone? On just a line segment? Nice community, proud to be here and hope I can be helpful to someone else in the future. I tend to write on and on and.......see my writings at farmer.newsvine.com.

Dan-Woodman
11-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Are you asking if the machine will do beveled edges? If so , yes it will do 45deg. beveled edges right from the keypad at the machine. 45 deg. beveled edges,across the ends or down the length, 45 deg. Miter cuts across the ends . no compound miters though. If you have a power miter box that would be a much cleaner cut, cw will do it.
later Daniel

oldfogey
11-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks, DanWoodman. Yes, I am rereading all material because I know I came across info on bevel edges. What I was hoping was to figure a way to have machine do short or segmented bevels in order to fake dovetails. Will keep learning. Thank you and others for being helpful. UPS now has my machine, it is on its way! Christmas before Christmas!

mtylerfl
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Jerry,

A few times in the pass when I needed to cut out some irregular shapes in 1/8” stock,
I used the two sided tape that some folks use to put plastic sheeting over their window, in cold weather climates.
On some thicker stock I used two sided Carpet tape, but be careful it can be tuff to get your cut outs off the carrier board
after the 85lbs. from the pressure rollers pass over them a few times.
Another I’ve used is lathe wood turners 2 sided tape that you can get a Rockers or the Woodcraft Store.

Hello,

It's not necessary to use double-sided tape for cutouts in thin stock anymore (thank goodness!), due to the fantastic control we now have over cut paths introduced in version 1.131.

The Sept ' 08 Tips & Tricks shows you how to use the new features and eliminate the double-sided tape hassle.

(Download any Tips & Tricks issue by clicking the link below.)

oldfogey
11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
mtylerfl, thanks. Your prodding got me thinking and reading and rereading. Although I had passed through the Sept08 Tips I did not relate this info to my question. Upon reading it again and using a little mental energy I began to realize the cutout tabs were the perfect answer to my question. By luck I have upgraded my trial software to the new version sometime after I began this learning process. Thanks for the help and hope we meet often along this path.

mtylerfl
11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
mtylerfl, thanks. Your prodding got me thinking and reading and rereading. Although I had passed through the Sept08 Tips I did not relate this info to my question. Upon reading it again and using a little mental energy I began to realize the cutout tabs were the perfect answer to my question. By luck I have upgraded my trial software to the new version sometime after I began this learning process. Thanks for the help and hope we meet often along this path.

Hello Jerry,

My pleasure! I'm very happy to hear you are finding the Tips & Tricks helpful.

We all look forward to seeing your projects, and you've got plenty of helping hands here on the forum whenever you may need it.

All the Best...