PDA

View Full Version : New User

AV_Turtle
11-27-2008, 03:10 PM
--Hey, how's it going? I'm new pretty much. My Mom bought a carvewright machine last year, but we never got the appropriate tools or software so it has sat in its box until now. I just got the probe and a full bit set so my Mom can start playing with her expensive toy, right? I was just wondering about the patterns. Is vector art the best way to create a pattern, or is bit map a better medium?
--I am interested in creating elaborate carvings and was interested in the best way to prepare my images. Thanks for any tips,
---Don

jcorder
11-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Vector patterns are the absolute best to use. They need to be gray scale so you can see the highs and lows. the CarveWright is a great machine and it is capable of producing great items.

Good luck
Jeff

mtylerfl
11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello,

For clarification...

- Fully-dimensional ("3D") patterns are raster (greyscale-based)- not vector.

(Raster patterns are carved with the 1/16" carving bit that came with your machine.)

- Vector patterns are basically just lines (not "3D").

(Vector lines can be cut with any bit you assign, but perhaps most common, vector cuts are performed with a 60° or 90° bit. An example of this would be Text cut with the Centerline function and a V-Bit, or any line drawing created in the Designer software using the Depth Profile function to make the lines appear to be "hand-carved", incised lines.) Other vector applications are for cutting out parts, or routing decorative edges.