PDA

View Full Version : Helpbot... here is one for ya

TerryT
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Lines and waves. For several months I have been getting small lines and/or waves in my carvings. The lines are small and close together. The waves are a space of up to 1/8 inch between lines with the area between raised and rounded.

Here is what I have tried.
1. Head pressure dead on 80 pounds= lines
2. Head presure varied + or - 80 = lines or waves. Lighter pressure = waves. Higher pressure lines get closer together.
3. Replaced traction belts = no change
4. Replaced z bundle twice = no change
5. Replaced ALL bearings on Y and Z trucks = no change.
6. The problem seems intermittent but mostly lines. Sometimes the carve will start of perfectly smooth then change to lines. Sometimes the opposite.
7. Sometimes the entire project will carve perfectly (but not very often).
The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is RR the X motor. Any ideas?

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
This is only happening in Carving mode?

So first the mechanical things.

I am thinking Z Belt..... Loose screw in the back.

QC worn?

Bit Holder worn?

Now user modes.....

Using Best Mode?

Using Best Bit Optimization?

Almost looks like Draft Cut Mode without the final clean up slow cut used in best mode.

Old Navy Bot.... Really old..... and Real Navy.....

AL

TerryT
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
This is only happening in Carving mode?

So first the mechanical things.

I am thinking Z Belt..... Loose screw in the back.

QC worn?

Bit Holder worn?

Now user modes.....

Using Best Mode?

Using Best Bit Optimization?

Almost looks like Draft Cut Mode without the final clean up slow cut used in best mode.

Old Navy Bot.... Really old..... and Real Navy.....

AL

Sorry Al, forgot to mention those things.
Z belt tight.
QC is fine. At least as best as I can tell. No play or wiggle that I can feel.
Bits and holders are fine. and YES, using BEST mode and bit optimization on best. Also tried 3 different carving bits.
Thanks for the try.

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
OK.... How about removing the bottom cover and checking the tightness of the 4 bolts that go up into the smooth corner posts that the head slides up and down on?

AL

HelpBot3000
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Al, they should call you AwesomeBot because you always have great advice! :) Terry, I spoke with some of the "powers that be" over here and showed them the pictures you sent. It seems to be the consensus that it is the bit itself giving you the issue. If your QC is ok I would check the integrity of the bit itself and its seating in the bit adapter. Something in that assembly is giving you those lines and waves. If it comes down to it give me a call and I'll try to help out further. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been trying to help those folks trying to get their call in before we close for the next two days but I'll be here until 6pm central time.

HB3K aka Barry the Hardware Tech

TerryT
11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Al, I just had the bottom cover off cleaning and checking the x drive and crank gears. I didn't think about the 4 main post bolts. I will check them, thanks.

Barry, I have a new QC I will install this afternoon. If it is in that system and not the QC, maybe spindle bearings? I have tried 3 different carving bits and (new) adaptors, I have about 450 hours on the machine, the QC has about 250 hours.

Thanks guys,

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Had one more thought... The Y or Z bearings not set to 100% closed position. I know you mentioned you had new bearings and that means you are proficient in installing the bearings.

If you (Carefully) man handle the Y and Z Truck and give it the up down left right in out tug, is there any motion showing a loose adjustment in the bearing.

I would think a loose Y bearing could cause this. I like to mark the bearing Nut Flat that should be out.

Just another idea....

AL

HelpBot3000
11-26-2008, 03:01 PM
That's a good bit of time on there. Not saying that a QC can't handle it but it does raise a flag. Do your bits have the same amount of time on them? Because they can NOT handle that kind of usage time. They wear down a lot faster than the QC itself. Here's hoping a new QC does the trick.

ChrisAlb
11-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Jeez Al,

I'm "almost" starting to wish I had all these problems with my machine...LOL. That way, I'd know as much about them as you do!!

See buddy? Proper use and preventative maintenance DOES have it's drawbacks...LOL

TerryT
11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
That's a good bit of time on there. Not saying that a QC can't handle it but it does raise a flag. Do your bits have the same amount of time on them? Because they can NOT handle that kind of usage time. They wear down a lot faster than the QC itself. Here's hoping a new QC does the trick.

The bits and adapters are new so that shouldn't be a problem.

Al, I did find just the tiniest bit of play in the left side, upper and lower Y truck bearings. I adjusted those and r&r ed the QC. First carve was perfect. I need to try two or three more before I can be sure.

Thanks guys.

Digitalwoodshop
11-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Good Job !!!!

AL

TerryT
11-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok, the verdict is in. Barry and Al, you were both right. Although Al hit the nail on the head. During a carve that started with the lines, I hit stop. I then tightened the Y truck bearings and restarted the carve. The lines turned into a perfect smooth carve for the balance of the 2.5 hour carve.

Thanks again guys.

HelpBot3000
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Glad to hear it. Hey Al, online high five! Now you can get started on some holiday carving. Don't forget to post pics.

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Hey... Send me a T Shirt.... Snicker.....

Who do I contact to get permission to use the Carvaholic and CarveWright name for Coffee Cups and License Plates?

Stickers

Hitch Covers

Key Fobs

Clocks

etc.....

So I don't get a Cease and Desist order..... Better to ask first...

AL

HelpBot3000
12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
You kidding me?!? I don't even get a t-shirt! :) As for the rest of your questions, I would direct that to the marketing dept. Those folks are the best to answer those kind of questions. I'm just a hardware tech. I'm not even important enough to be the dirt AROUND the totem pole :) lol