PDA

View Full Version : pattern editor

olkarch
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I was excited to read the 'Tips and Tricks' for July, about the pattern editor, as it describes exactly the function I need for editing some imported graphics. Now I question what software is involved, as the article doesn't match the software.

I have version 1.131. Trying to use the pattern editor I find that the only adjustment on erase and blur is 'tool pressure' and there appears to be no difference between 1 and 100 on either, rendering both useless.

The 'Tips and Tricks' on page 7 shows standard and custom brush shapes. It says the custom types are not yet available, but the 'standard' ones do not appear on the toolbar either.

On page 9 in 'special notes' it says to open any ptn, mpw, or graphic file and select a soft brush and set height to 0 and strength to 2, but there is no 'strength' setting. Is that the 'tool pressure'? Again, there is no 'soft' setting for the brush and 'tool pressure' of 1 and 100 are identical in effect.

Any guidance?

Olin

mtylerfl
11-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello Olin,

I apologize for the confusion. At the time I wrote that particular Tips & Tricks, all the functions and Tools worked exactly as described.

When 1.131 was released, there were some changes to the toolset that were not necessarily intentional and I understand that they will be corrected in the next release of Designer/Pattern Editor. (I do not know the timeframe for any future releases.)

If there are any significant operational changes that ARE intended permanently for the long-term in any of the future releases, I'll either write a new Tips & Tricks on the subject, or I'll update the "old" Tips & Tricks to reflect those changes.

rstudley
11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I have just now bought Pattern Editor and am finding the same problem as Olin. And this was not a problem in an earlier release? This limits very much what the PE can do. It seems a little surprising--- this is not an inexpensive software purchase. Also there is no HELP manual available on this software.

I have gotten all my information from the great Tip and Tricks files on Carvebuddy, which is the only reference I know about.

olkarch
11-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi,

I have just now bought Pattern Editor and am finding the same problem as Olin. And this was not a problem in an earlier release? This limits very much what the PE can do.

Apparently in their haste for sales they prematurely released the product and broke it in the process. I am not impressed.

Olin

mtylerfl
11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Apparently in their haste for sales they prematurely released the product and broke it in the process. I am not impressed.

Olin

Hi Olin,

You have the wrong impression, I'm afraid. It was not released in a haste for sales. The folks at CarveWright do their best to test everything before it goes out for release. In addition, they rely on the Beta test stage for reports of any problems that need to be addressed before official release (just like all other software developers).

I was among one of the Beta testers on the 1.131 version and I am sorry to say, we failed to notice the issues with the Pattern Editor. I think that was primarily due to our intense focus on the cool new features in Designer 1.131 itself.

So... since no problems were reported on the Pattern Editor, the release got the green light.

I think all of us on the Beta Test team learned a valuable lesson and plan to be a lot more careful in the future. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

All the Best...