PDA

View Full Version : QC Compucarve into QC Carvewright

brouv
11-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Did anybody ever try to disassemble one to make it the other ?
Let me explain, I have a carvewright and my QC is shot. I bought a long time ago a comucarve QC that I cannot use (compress fit etc...)
Is it possible to disassemble the QC compucarve, and replace the thread piece to make it a QC carvewright ?
I saw the exploded view of the QC but I need to know if somebody messed with it ?
Thanks
Benoit

HelpBot3000
11-25-2008, 09:06 AM
There is only one difference between the Craftsman CompuCarve and the CarveWright and that is the decal sticker on the very top of the machine. Every part that is designed for the CompuCarve also functions the same way as in the CarveWright. So the short answer is, yes, you can change it out.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
It could be a slip in the perciption.... Did you buy a QC from a Sears store that is designed to fit on a Router? They are not the same. The Value pack of a QC and a few bit holders you get on sale at Sears is different from the Carve Machine QC. The Bit Holders are the same and will work but not the QC.

If you bought the QC from the LHR then they will fit both the Compucarve and Carvewright as they are the same machine except the plastic cover.

AL

Kenm810
11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Not really interchangeable parts.

HelpBot3000
11-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Ok I do stand corrected. If it is the original QuickRout that was not designed to go on either machine and was released before them then it will not go on. But as Ken and Al said above, if it came off a CC it will fit a CW and vice versa.

You know, I thought I was wrong once. Turns out I was mistaken. :D

brouv
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys
Yes I bought a quick rout for the adapters and the tools but I was wondering if I can use some of the internal component of the quickrout and put them on the CW QC

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys
Yes I bought a quick rout for the adapters and the tools but I was wondering if I can use some of the internal component of the quickrout and put them on the CW QC

What wears out in my opinion is the flats of the flower peddle looking things, that is the surface that contacts the bit holder and wears out and gets wider causing the bit to flop around.

AL

Kenm810
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
brouv,

I did the same thing a couple of years ago when I first bought my carver.
All I wanted was the 3 bit adapters that came with the Sears QC Router Chuck,
they had the whole set on sale for $9.99.
Later they came out with 3 packs of 1/4" and 1/2" adapters for $9.99 (now $19.99)
and I bought a few of those too, So all my extra Bits have their own adapters plus a few spares .
I'll Knock on wood, I haven't had one ware out yet.

brouv
11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
What wears out in my opinion is the flats of the flower peddle looking things, that is the surface that contacts the bit holder and wears out and gets wider causing the bit to flop around.

AL
Right
The flower peddle stuff wore out because of my unexperience with the qc
waiting for my new qc from LHR