PDA

View Full Version : Cutting through too far

Rocky
11-25-2008, 05:54 AM
I did a project on a 3/4" piece of wood. The project was on a carrier sled. In Designer I specified that the project was 3/4" thick. Yet, when the CW did the cut through part of the project, it cut into the carrier about 1/8". Any thoughts folks?

Thanks,

ChrisAlb
11-25-2008, 06:06 AM
I did a project on a 3/4" piece of wood. The project was on a carrier sled. In Designer I specified that the project was 3/4" thick. Yet, when the CW did the cut through part of the project, it cut into the carrier about 1/8". Any thoughts folks?

Thanks,

First thoughts that come to my mind are...

1) Is the board "exactly" 3/4 thick - a 1/32 here and there can matter.

2) Is it completely "flat" (Board and or sled)- depending on where the bit touched it when finding the surface can effect whwre the CW thinks the bottom is.

adding 1 and 2 above could produce that result.

Rocky
11-25-2008, 06:28 AM
First thoughts that come to my mind are...

1) Is the board "exactly" 3/4 thick - a 1/32 here and there can matter.

2) Is it completely "flat" (Board and or sled)- depending on where the bit touched it when finding the surface can effect whwre the CW thinks the bottom is.

adding 1 and 2 above could produce that result.

The board and sled are flat. The board is, maybe 1/16" less than a full 3/4".

ChrisAlb
11-25-2008, 06:48 AM
That could certainly have played a part. I would try specifying the thickness as closely as possible to the actual wood.

Before we could specify the thickness of just the board for using the "cutout" feature, when I did cut outs using a sled I had to apply the cutting bit to the path and set the depth manually. If my board was exactly 3/4, I'd set the depth 1/32 less and it would leave a paper thin amount of wood so the CW is pretty darn accurate.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
A bent down bit flag can cause cutting depth errors.

Do a test cut. Use the 1/8 inch bit and draw 4 circles and assign the 1/8 inch bit.

Set the first circle to .001, the next .1, the next .2 and the next .3

Bet the first .001 in the real world is deeper.

I now measure my board with a digital micrometer for thickness.

If the bit flag is bent then your shallow V text could be light.

Last resort do a calibration.

AL

Rocky
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
A bent down bit flag can cause cutting depth errors.

Do a test cut. Use the 1/8 inch bit and draw 4 circles and assign the 1/8 inch bit.

Set the first circle to .001, the next .1, the next .2 and the next .3

Bet the first .001 in the real world is deeper.

I now measure my board with a digital micrometer for thickness.

If the bit flag is bent then your shallow V text could be light.

Last resort do a calibration.

AL

Thanks, folks. But, what is the bit flag? :(

cnsranch
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Rocky

DWS is talking about the bit plate that flips out when the machine is measuring your bit's depth.

Rocky
11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Rocky

DWS is talking about the bit plate that flips out when the machine is measuring your bit's depth.

Oh! Thanks.