PDA

View Full Version : Extra work

hardly
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Hello Carvewright,

If I have a carving that requires several bits, at startup the machine asks for each bit and measures it. Then I have to put the 1st bit back in and it starts carving after it remeasures that bit a second time. When it needs the next bit it asks for it and then remeasures that bit again. Why is the redundant loading of bits necessary? If it measures a bit just before it uses that bit why have it ask for all the bits and measure them at the beginning before any carving? Or if it measures all the bits at the start why does it have to do it again? It seems to me a waste of time and doubles the wear on the chucking mechanism.

Jeff_Birt
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Hello, welcome to the forum. This is a 'users' forum, meaning that 99.9% of use are just machine owners like you.
When you insert all the bits at the beginning of the project the machine measures them and then knows what each bit 'looks like'. When you insert them during the carve they are remeasured to double check that you have indeed inserted the correct bit.

LollyWood
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Welcome to sawdust centeral Harly,

If I'm not to far off the mark, when the first set of bit checks runs it also checks for surface (Board)contact w/ ea bit. When you switch them during the project, the machine checks the bit w/ the one from the surface check from memory and goes to work. It doesn't recheck finding surface.

mtylerfl
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Hello Carvewright,

If I have a carving that requires several bits, at startup the machine asks for each bit and measures it. Then I have to put the 1st bit back in and it starts carving after it remeasures that bit a second time. When it needs the next bit it asks for it and then remeasures that bit again. Why is the redundant loading of bits necessary? If it measures a bit just before it uses that bit why have it ask for all the bits and measure them at the beginning before any carving? Or if it measures all the bits at the start why does it have to do it again? It seems to me a waste of time and doubles the wear on the chucking mechanism.

Hello,

This is by design, and there are very, very sound reasons for this procedure. Perfectly normal behavior.

When you start doing double-sided carves, you'll notice a very similar, but a little different procedure for bit insertion/removal/re-insertion.

Trust the machine - it knows what it's doing. Be sure to follow the LCD prompts exactly and you'll be fine.