PDA

View Full Version : granite???

jpaluck
11-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I have carved corian works great. I have access to alot of granite scraps..is it carvable similar to corian?

Thanks

John

Jeff_Birt
11-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I have access to alot of granite scraps..is it carvable similar to corian?

As in rock? No. Here is a good explanation of what Corian is from Wikipedia: Corian is the registered trademark of one of many building materials collectively known as solid surface and is composed of acrylicpolymer and aluminatrihydrate made by DuPont. Basically it is a 'fancy' plastic and very different from rock. Being plastic it can be worked with tooling similar to wood working tools.

Granite on the other hand is typically worked by hand with chisels and hammers or by machine with diamond coated tooling (and lots of water for cooling and flushing. Obviously water and rock shavings would not be good for our machines. The do make milling machines for granite such as: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5536.0.html.

atauer
11-24-2008, 10:41 AM
As Jeff stated, granite and corian are totally different. The Carvewright machine is not capable of carving or cutting in stone. It is only capable of carving/cutting woods, high density foams, and certain types of plastic. Using other materials that were not approved for usage will void your warranty and potentially damage your machine.

jpaluck
11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks jeff..kinda what i thought

John