PDA

View Full Version : 90 Degree "V" bit vs. 60 Degree

SAA3840
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Run that by me again why you program a carve, text in Centerline, using a 90 degree V bit but when you get to actually loading the bit you use the 60 degree bit.

I ask because I've been wasting some 11" wide oak because the text I'm trying to carve seems to be too deep and the letters run together (or are simply too close together). I've ruined two 11 x 41 pieces of red oak for this project so far and I'd like to get the project done.

Does the 90 degree bit carve shallower but wider than the 60? I want to be able to read the text I'm carving. I plan to paint the text and then stain & finish the whole board but I don't want to keep wasting wood.

AskBud
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Along with the other answers you will get, remember that you may increase the "Spacing" between your letters as you set up your line of text.
AskBud

SAA3840
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I tried that and used a 60 bit but the letters still squished together and were too deep.

I'm guessing I should use the 90 bit with the 5 spacing I now have.

Azbear
11-24-2008, 06:40 AM
I tried that and used a 60 bit but the letters still squished together and were too deep.

Can you post your project and let us take a look see?

I ask as I had to increase my text spacing to 10 on one project as the lettering was crouded also. I was using french script bold and it was unreadable after first carve.

DocWheeler
11-24-2008, 07:37 AM
SAA3840,

Awhile back I posted something about that. I said that if you want to create good looking SM ALL text that you should specify the 90 degree bit in Designer but use the 60 degree bit to do the carving because by specifying the 90 degree bit in Designer creates a shallower stroke.

I also SPECULATED that by doing just the opposite might make large text broader or more bold.

If I caused you a problem with that post, I am truly sorry.

Kenm810
11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Ken,

I've used your suggestion of trading out the 60 and 90-V groove bits with out problems, and was pleased with the results.
One thing I might mention, is the I never use any text without at least a spacing setting of less than 15,
No more squished text and with the aid of a little draft much less chip out also.

MikeMcCoy
11-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Same here Ken,
I've been using what you said without problems but also use a spacing of at least 14 or so.

JOHNB
11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
try a different bit (dremel). you don't have to use a 60 or 90.

Kenm810
11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I have tried a few with some success,
but the small text, especially in centerline will cause a little
more than average fuzzies and require a bit more clean up or sanding.

Hexe SA
11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Run that by me again why you program a carve, text in Centerline, using a 90 degree V bit but when you get to actually loading the bit you use the 60 degree bit.

I ask because I've been wasting some 11" wide oak because the text I'm trying to carve seems to be too deep and the letters run together (or are simply too close together). I've ruined two 11 x 41 pieces of red oak for this project so far and I'd like to get the project done.

Does the 90 degree bit carve shallower but wider than the 60? I want to be able to read the text I'm carving. I plan to paint the text and then stain & finish the whole board but I don't want to keep wasting wood.

Just finished yesterday with the 90 v bit no added spacing. Letter size 1 1/2" too 2 1/2" tall. Smallest letter size I did was 1/2 inch with centerline and 60 v bit.
Eva

oldjoe
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I do that bit swap all the time I rarely put in a text spacing. But I will always pick a smaller font when I have to do small letters. One thing I do do is after the disigner puts the letters on the board I will run the cursor over the letters to see what the depth is going to be, then I have some idea what the depth is. Also I find that the type of wood you are using has a big effect on the fuzzies.

SAA3840
11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I think I screwed up and told the machine I wanted to use the 60 degree bit and then used the 60 degree bit. From what I've gathered from the numerous responses to my original question, what I should be doing is telling the machine I'm going to use the 90 degree bit but use the 60.

So, if I have this correct now, program a 90 degree bit in Designer, tell the machine I'm going to use the 90 degree bit, but when it asks for it, install the 60 degree bit. Is that correct? Should I let the machine do its measuring with the 60 or the 90?

What I'm trying to carve is two copies of "A Policeman's Prayer" in Blackchancery and I've got the spacing on the letters at 5. It looks good in Designer but I guess since I told the machine I wanted to use the 60 and then used the 60, that's why my letters all squished together.

I should also add that I've done some really big text carving, same font, using the 90 and told the machine I was using the 90 and I had no trouble at all. The carves came out fine. It's just when I get to doing small stuff, about an inch or so tall, that I have the problem.

dench
11-25-2008, 05:21 AM
with centerline you use a 60 for deeper cut and a 90 for shallow ones

ChrisAlb
11-25-2008, 06:22 AM

Some fonts you really have to space a long way to get any real change.

Yes, the 90 will cut shallower than the 60. In most if not all fonts, centerline uses the width of the letters as its gage. So to get the same width the 60 will cut deeper.

And oh, ALWAYS use a cheap piece of scrap wood to test your design first. Of course, you probably know that now. Whenever I layout a new design with fonts, whether centerline or not, after I have it the way I want on screen, I'll copy like just one word or so and throw it on another board. Upload it and use a scrap piece to test the outcome.