PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas/Inspirations-X-Mas Gifts

peter_l
11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi All,

I am looking to make some small gifts for friends, kids and neighbors using the CW.

Was thinking about some game boards (cribiage, tic-tac-toe), ornaments, etc, etc.

I have made plenty of signs, and will be making more, but was wondering what others were doing.

Any photos, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

bjbethke
11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
How about a checker board?

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Pete,

Take a look at this thread of posts Cracker Barrel Golf Tee Game? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9024&highlight=Cracker+Barrel)
Jerry posted a .mpc of the Game that carves very quickly.
I made a couple a few days ago and the Grand kids love them. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Or Maybe a simple marble or ball bearing Maze for the kids,
that's also a quick carving to do.

brdad
11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Here are two of the things I am working on for gifts. The first is a lithophane for my brother, done in a CW made frame that I think fits a Naval theme and the lithophane has his ship and it's crest. The frame was more work than it could have been - some things are just more easily done with a standard router and table. But it came out decent nonetheless.

The second is a fun game board and pieces. The name of the game is Quarto (directions to play can be found here (http://www.educationallearninggames.com/how-to-play-quarto-wooden-game-rules.asp)). It is a fun game similar to but more advanced than tic-tac-toe. The game has a unique twist to it - you don't choose the piece you will play, the other player does, and vise-versa. The board shown here is one I whipped up after being intrigued by it while playing it with a store clerk who had one on the counter. I am going to make one for my new step-son with storage underneath to store the 16 playing pieces.

HelpBot3000
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I just checked out that game Quarto and that seems like FUN! Now I want to get a board and check it out. I love a game that exercises the ol' noodle.

peter_l
11-25-2008, 09:23 PM
that looks great.

Does anyone have a mpc for a basic tic-tac-toe game?

Thanks

Pete

MCGEE2SKINNER
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys for the games will start in the am to carve them

Kenm810
11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Pete,

How's this one, I just drew it up in CW Deaigner,
it's all carved with a 90-"V" Groove Bit, except the Holes.
You can drill them with your 1/8" Bit
or use your 1/2" Ballnose Bit.

Kenm810
11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
One more I found,

Tangram Example
A Tangram is one of the most popular jigsaw puzzles for young Children.
The aim of the game is to form various patterns: geometrical figures,
animals, people, and objects. Certain collections contain more than 1000 pictures: mostly figurative puzzles.
Each starts with the division of a square into seven pieces.
You cut out the seven pieces with the children using drawing paper with the help of the wooden models.
Each square set can be cut the same or different.

I taped two pieces of 1/4" stock together with 2 sided tape and used the 1/16" cutter Bit instead of the carving Bit,
but I suppose it would have worked as well.
After it was cut out I glued the upper frame from the cut outs to the lower piece of stock to form
a holder for the cut out parts, with a 1/16" clearance all around the parts.

peter_l
11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Sorry for not responding sooner, been busy with the CW.

Thanks for all the ideas and MPCs. have already made a few tic tac toe, marble games, and the others are on the list.

I appreciate everyones input.

Pete