PDA

View Full Version : 20 Hours but worth it

MCGEE2SKINNER
11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
After 20 hours of carving this is what I have to show for it.
The wreath is worth ever minute it took to carve. My wife of 50 years went nuts which for her is a lot. Most of what I know is from you guys and the forum.
Thanks Jim:)

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Really Great job Jim, http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

And best of all I will last for years,
that's much more than we can say
about a lot of stuff we buy now a days.

mtylerfl
11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
After 20 hours of carving this is what I have to show for it.
The wreath is worth ever minute it took to carve. My wife of 50 years went nuts which for her is a lot. Most of what I know is from you guys and the forum.
Thanks Jim:)

WOW! That is terrific! What a fantastic finish - beautiful job, Jim!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just a point of information: The carve times have indeed been increased (intentionally) via the last few software updates. The reason is that this improves overall carve quality while at the same time, reduces wear and tear on our machines - both of which are a good thing! So, a heads-up... if you ran a project before (on an older version of the software), that exact same project will take longer and the quality will be even better using the more recent software versions.

LollyWood
11-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Jim,
That is simply LOVELY!!! Great Job Sir.:D

DesertSkies
11-20-2008, 07:45 PM
That is fantastic! I'm just learning and boy am I envious, wouild love to be able to do something like that. Maybe someday soon.
:-D
Dan

MikeMcCoy
11-20-2008, 07:49 PM
That is definitely worth the carve time and the finish is fantastic.

SAA3840
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Don't really know how long it took, I was working on numerous other projects, but here's my finished wreath. My wife of 36yrs loves it and has it hanging on the front door.

andes
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
MCGEE2SKINNER

What type of paint did you use?

Bubbabear
11-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I have a question. Does this use the different V groove bits or just the basic carving bits that come with cc/cw.
And yes that is a great looking piece if I ever do one I will have to get someone else to paint it

mtylerfl
11-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a question. Does this use the different V groove bits or just the basic carving bits that come with cc/cw.
And yes that is a great looking piece if I ever do one I will have to get someone else to paint it

No special bits required - you only need the two bits that came with your machine.

mtylerfl
11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Don't really know how long it took, I was working on numerous other projects, but here's my finished wreath. My wife of 36yrs loves it and has it hanging on the front door.

Another great job!

- My wife loves ours too, & never let me put our wreath in storage after the holidays last year. Our wreath is stained a honey pine color and after Christmas, she just brought it indoors and displays it on the wall in the foyer year 'round!

SAA3840
11-21-2008, 10:45 PM

Bubba- the only paint on mine is the red, for the berries and the bow. The green is actually fabric dye. Got it too dark the first try and had to dip all the parts in bleach/water to lighten it up. I'd be willing to bet the red could be done the same way, using fabric dye.;)

elblimpo
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Looks greatttt

Bubbabear
11-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Just got mine started carving started with the bow

bayea
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I have made two Wreaths so far. I love this project. I made mine out of maple. I seems to stain the nicest. Tried alder and pine but that didn't stain as nice.
When staining the wreath I used the rag method letting the stain soak into the groves then gently ragging off the excess, it makes the pattern stand out more.

mtylerfl
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I have made two Wreaths so far. I love this project. I made mine out of maple. I seems to stain the nicest. Tried alder and pine but that didn't stain as nice.
When staining the wreath I used the rag method letting the stain soak into the groves then gently ragging off the excess, it makes the pattern stand out more.

Excellent wreath! You're right - the pattern really does stand out nicely!