PDA

View Full Version : Fishing flies/lures

rhausman
11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Looking for patterns for fishing flies and/or lures ... tried CWPattern search with no luck ... anybody out there have any? Thanks, rafa

fwharris
11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Here is a couple. Maybe not the best.

JVallario
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Wholly bugger?

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Here's thread from a while back
It shows how to carve a Fishing lure.
Mirror Image Capability (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8608&highlight=rattle)

fwharris
11-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Ken,

Amazed that I did not come across it while researching 2 sided carves. Like the carve on back side for adding weight.

Now I have to know, did you actually use it to fish with and if so did you catch anything?

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry to say, I really haven't had a chance. I had planned to try them out on Lake Michigan last month,
but couldn't get away from the shop. I'm taking next week off but it's been storming pretty good out there.
So I'll just catch up on things to do around the house before the holidays. --- You know -- The old Honey do list.http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Ike
11-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Spoon?

Ike

HelpBot3000
11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
That's good fishing out on Lake Michigan. I used to live in Saginaw, MI and my dad and I used to go out there and spend all day. Pretty soon its going to be ice fishing time too!

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Yep, we would that the boat up through lake Huron into Saginaw bay for a few days,
then go up through the straights and under the Big Mack Bridge and down into Lake Michigan and back.
We would make it a 10 day or 2 week fishing trips out of it, Lot of ice to store the fish, plus plenty more for some Old #7 too. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

HelpBot3000
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
That's another great spot over by the Mackinac Bridge. I have family in Sault St. Marie that showed me some sweet fishing spots. Maybe its time to carve out a fishing pole and head out to the water! :D

atauer
11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
That's another great spot over by the Mackinac Bridge. I have family in Sault St. Marie that showed me some sweet fishing spots. Maybe its time to carve out a fishing pole and head out to the water! :D

I know a guy who knows this guy who is really good at designing stuff with the software.

And that is a long drive!

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow!! I just got a taste for some Smoked Salmon, Swiss Cheese and chunk of French Bread.
Gotta get a couple Coors or Lone Star to go with it! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Ike
11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Coors?????????? Nah a nice Merlot or even better a desert wine like this great stuff called Joy by Beaulieu Vineyards. Very nice and only $100.00 a bottle or Beaulieu Vineyards Clone 6 Cabernet 2003, it is only $126.00!

Coors!!!

Ike

fwharris
11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Nope, do not like wine. I heard that if you drank too much it gives you a headache!!!

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
HB3K,

By the way it was 17 Degrees with Heavy Lake effect Snow last night in Saginaw,
not much better here at 19 degrees and lots of Black Ice. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Ack! Two things I could go the rest of my life without ever experiencing EVER again is lake effect snow and black #@*&%! ice! That's why I only visit during the spring/summer. If I had to shovel out a driveway just in time to see the city truck come around the corner and pile it all back in one more time I was going to lose it and go bananas a la Brendon Frasier in "Encino Man" :)

cnsranch
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
14 degrees this am in KC, good news is, clear skies!

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Lake effect Snow,

Oh ya, --- only fun when I was a Kid

cnsranch
11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Here's a few...

If they work for you, pm me with an e-mail address if you want the patterns - too big to attach here.

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Ken, that picture would carve a great litho that would send shivers down my spine every time I turned on the light source.

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
HB3K,

Hese's one I post some time ago,
about my Ol' Home Town In the U.P.

It can snow steadily for days on end. A friend of mine from the Kewenaw town of Calumet once told me that in February, 1979, it snowed only twice - once for 17 days, and the other for 11 - and that he was tired of having to call his dog off the roof.
They received over 390 inches of snow that winter. It's difficult to imagine nearly 400 inches of snow on the ground.
The picture below from a Detroit Free Press article puts it into perspective.

Notice the Record High, Low http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif and 20 Ft. Average!

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
WOW! I hadn't seen that article before. You know I've been down here in Texas so long now I don't even know if I could handle that kind of snow anymore. However, I do think its kind of sad that my kids will never get to know the wonder of "snow days" in school. Of course they also get to miss out on when they total those days up and add them to the end of the school year (never my favorite part as a kid.)

Kenm810
11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
That's OK,
I don't really miss the Flash Floods and Hurricanes I remember
from the few times I spent stationed in Texas. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif
Seems anywhere ya go there's perks of one kind or another!

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
That's true. I would rather go through a hundred snowy driveways than to go through Ike again. Well next time I'm up that way we'll have to go fishing and talk carving. Also, any other Michiganders that are interested, if you look at the upcoming shows on the main page, there is one in Detroit next month. I don't think I'm going to be there, unfortunately, but that's a great way to come out and support the machine.

MetroGnome
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Ken and I have already made tentative plans to get together at the Detroit woodworkers show. Anybody else?

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I'll be there in spirit. Unfortunately, I'll be in Texas in body. :( It should be a great show though and anyone in the mid-west (or anywhere at all for that matter) who can attend should go. You'll have a great time, I'm sure. Go represent Carvaholics everywhere!

rhausman
11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Harris, Ike, Ken ... thanks all for the offerings ... I believe I can use them to decorate a few small signs with sayings about fishermen for a group I'm tying flies with. Haven't figured out yet how to make my own patterns from photos ... want to try to get good carving of a Clouser Minnow we use for redfish (drum) down here on the Laguna Madre.

Enjoyed other's stories of their fishing grounds ... not too long ago I was checking out a Texas Hill Country river (stream where it crosses my mother-in-law's place) looking for bass ... just missed stepping on a 4.5 ft rattlesnake ... somehow, I think snow may be better fishing conditions than what I have!

Again, thanks for the offerings ...

CNSRANCH: Would love to have copied of the patterns you have; any chance of getting them without the backgrounds? Email: rhausman_ralph@msn.com. Thanks. r