PDA

View Full Version : Fire !

Joseph
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Ive had my cw for almost a year but only use it near holidays, Ive carved maybe 10 things on it. 4 or five ship anchors, couple pictures, few crosses.
Any ways took it out this year and began carving a cross on a piece of cedar
seem all was well, till I smelled smoke. I looked at the cw it was carving fine
the flexshaft was warm in my hand, Like hot water warm..., but where it goes into the motor the motor was glowing red hot and the rubber around that area was dripping off and burning. I turned off the machine raised the head and allowed it to cool. The next day I took it to sears and they said under warranty
well get back with you. Anybody else have this problem ?

Digitalwoodshop
11-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Good Job catching the fire before it burned the shop.....

I had the same thing happen and it was my fault as I had the machine sitting out in the Sun in the summer doing a repair. The Flex was hot from the sun and I handled it a little too gingerly and kinked the inner spring. When I started it the kink rubbed metal to metal to the flex shaft and got so hot it started burning the rubber off the shaft about mid way.

So I am betting that what happened is the last 2 inches or so of the spring on your flex shaft broke off when you last lubricated the shaft and it doubled up or the end kinked causing a metal to metal and lots of heat.....

The shaft is not a warranty item and will cost you about $75.00 plus shipping if the price is the same as I paid last summer. It comes as a whole assembly.

This is just a wake up call to ALL Carvers to keep an eye on your machine when it is carving.

AL