PDA

View Full Version : Several Problems

bjwisdom
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I did a search and tried to work through the problems I am having but I keep having more and more issues. I haven't used the machine in a couple weeks...and the shop temp was about 40 degrees (I did warm up the shop this morning).

First, I kept getting a stuck roller issue. I went through the tests and it confirmed the back roller was stuck, so I loosened the screws and cleaned out the sawdust. Fixed that problem. Then, when it came time to measure the board (6.5X22X1 mohagony) the head kept moving back and forth about 2 inches (fatal error message). Shut machine down and reloaded project. Then I got a clear sensor message. Cleaned sensor but keep getting it (tried a piece of tape on the board...still doesn't work). Then an X axis stall message. When I clamp down the workpiece, I do not hear the clutch kicking in....it just keeps cranking down.....HELP!

atauer
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Your head pressure is off. Use a bathroom scale and measure the head pressure. It should be between 75 and 85 pounds.

Also, if it was that cold in the shop, the machine will have issues. You will need to warm up the shop to about 75 degrees or warmer. The machine does not like cold weather.

Digitalwoodshop
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Dark wood gives you measuring errors because the wood is too dark the IR light is not reflecting back to the detector. Sometimes a strip down the middle of the board and a cross piece at the width check fixes the problem.

You did not mention where you put the tape, on the bottom along the brass roller track or on top to provide a better target for the board detector. 1/2 inch thick wood causes this too.

It is possible when the unit is cold to crank it down TOO tight. Remember it is not a VICE and you don't need to crank it down so tight that the sand paper belt is being pushed so hard to the bottom it can't move. Try taking some of the pressure off of the crank and hear the board speed up to normal speed. Check the pressure as mentioned above too.

It is possible you broke the X gear too...

Remember it needs to be a very flat board too.... Any taper will cause problems.

I bought some Transfer Tape used for picking up Vinyl letters. It is a low tack masking tape but wider. I have it in 2, 6 and 12 inch. I have a vinyl cutter but a local sign shop might sell you a roll. Regular masking tape works too. I have even wrapped the boards in white copy paper to get it to measure.

Good Luck,

AL

Bubbabear
11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Check this thread. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9220

the lights made a world of difference to my unit

and as long as I heat to 55 or 60 in the shop it is OK I don't even keep my house 75 degrees

Joseph
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Has anybody used aluminan tape on the edges of the board ? would
a 1/4 inch all the way around be okay as long as ones board was 7/1 inchs longer then the pattern and 3 1/2 inches wider and it stayed under the rollers with no edge work and the board was put through a planer to ensure uniform thinkness ?

Eagle Hollow
11-18-2008, 05:52 AM
I have found that as you are cranking down the head, you get "press ENTER" message when the proper pressure is reached.

Digitalwoodshop
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Now that is a GOOD TIP !!!!

Thanks,

AL

As for the foil tape.... Could go very wrong if the tape got wrapped around the bit and broke something.

Masking tape is best.

mtylerfl
11-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I have found that as you are cranking down the head, you get "press ENTER" message when the proper pressure is reached.

I never, ever noticed that! Thanks!

bjwisdom
11-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will try it today. Kind of weird, I never had problems with my surface planer and now, even though the rollers move it is not pulling the wood through....

MikeMcCoy
11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will try it today. Kind of weird, I never had problems with my surface planer and now, even though the rollers move it is not pulling the wood through....

If you have the Dewalt DW735, that's a pretty common problem. Waxing the beds might help to start with and cleaning the rollers. If you do have the DW735, the link has a mini pictorial that shows how to clean the rollers.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48721