PDA

View Full Version : Tools, Tools, Tools...

cnsranch
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Can anyone relate?

Tool Definitions

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned guitar calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Yeow $#!+...."

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters. The tool most often used by banjo players.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads.
If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

WELDING GLOVES: Heavy-duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub while removing the bearing race.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motor cycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 45 minutes.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 2X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing yellow pine wood splinters and wire wheel wires.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

RADIAL ARM SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to scare neophytes into choosing another line of work.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The home mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids and for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads. Banjo players excel at using this tool.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert the common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts which were last over-tightened 30 years ago by someone at Ford, and instantly rounds off their heads. Also used to quickly snap off lug nuts.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit. Banjo players primarily use it to make gaping holes in walls when hanging pictures.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks and rubber or plastic parts. Also especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

DAMMIT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Anyone want to add one for our beloved machine? (careful, don't get me deleted :) )

atauer
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
CNS,

Let's try this definition for table saw:

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. May also be used to make nurse at nearby hospital faint when you bring in cut-off fingers in to be sewn back on.

That is my definition of table saw, only because I had it occur to me. :)

Funniest thing I ever saw was the nurse faint at the sight of me carrying my fingers in a glass jar.

cnsranch
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
No wonder you can't type well :)

mtylerfl
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Funniest thing I ever saw was the nurse faint at the sight of me carrying my fingers in a glass jar.

Alex,

Your sense of humor is w-a-a-y over the top!;)

atauer
11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
No wonder you can't type well :)

They were all sewn back on. I just get in a rush when I type.

I am used to having the software programs I use for typing automatically correct the mistakes.

The forum software doesn't do that. :(

Kenm810
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
cnsranch,

Wonderful List of Tools, and I must say
I own, use and abuse nearly all of them every day!!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Table Saws Ya, I'll add one to atauer's
Blistering fingers and thumbs try to remove a blue hot 2" drywall screw form your lower jaw after it passed through your lower lip and enbeded in the bone just below your teeth, that had been fired a you at the speed of light by the table saw, after someone had left it in a 2X6 after they tested their new battery drill. Yes it was me that got screwed, no it was not me testing their new battery drill. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

ChrisAlb
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
cnsranch,

I own, use and abuse nearly all of them every day!!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Blistering fingers and thumbs try to remove a blue hot 2" drywall screw form your lower jaw after it passed through your lower lip and enbeded in the bone just below your teeth, that had been fired a you at the speed of light by the table saw, after someone had left it in a 2X6 after they tested their new battery drill. Yes it was me that got screwed, no it was not me testing their new battery drill. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Ouch!!

Moral = ALWAYS check your wood for foriegn objects BEFORE cutting!!

atauer
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
cnsranch,

D@MN!!!! That will leave a mark!

Kenm810
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep the cleft is still there, just below my lower lip 10 years later.

Chris, Good Moral!! = ALWAYS check your wood for foriegn objects BEFORE cutting,
Then check it again before you turn the tool or machine on, just in case!!

cnsranch
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Gotta be careful as you age - I find that the older I get, the less often I check my wood for anything.

ChrisAlb
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Yep the cleft is still there, just below my lower lip 10 years later.

Chris, Good Moral!! = ALWAYS check your wood for foriegn objects BEFORE cutting,
Then check it again before you turn the tool or machine on, just in case!!

A practice I got into very young. Never had a mishap until the ONE time I didn't. Late in the day, getting dark and in a hurry. The last cedar deck board to go down against the house needed to be ripped as always. It was the last board on the bottom of the pile that had been dropped on a gravel driveway. I DID check it but not good enough because the stone my blade hit took out the left lens on my prescription eye glasses.

Thank goodness I ride motorcycles because I ALWAYS get the high impact lenses for my glasses...LOL

castingman
11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
HaHaHa Thats a good one !!!

How about the hammer that turns your thumb nail purple !

Michael

Kenm810
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Or how about the 2 1/4" Finish Brad Guns that often find
the Water or Electric lines in the walls instead of the studs. ~ http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Ps. I often refer to 20oz. ripping Hammer as my one tooth saw!

ChrisAlb
11-17-2008, 12:48 PM
HaHaHa Thats a good one !!!

How about the hammer that turns your thumb nail purple !

Michael

HEY BUDDY!!

I was wondering when I'd hear from you again now that I'm back in the swing here...LOL

Swinging at the wrong nail huh? I always swung an 18" - 22 ounce Rocket with a waffle head. It doesn't make nails purple...LOL it makes thumbs HAMBURGER!!!...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif<<<< wrong color thumb but you get the idea...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

castingman
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Chris

Thanks Good to see you back as well .

I don't swing things that have teeth on them ,

But, The pic. that is my avatar is a 600# 4 burner melting furnace that used to have windows behind it , A lot of them , Un til one morning one burner did'nt light off proper and FOOOOOOOOOOOM , No windows no hat no eyebrows .

I gotta good laugh outa this thread..

Michael

ChrisAlb
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Chris

Thanks Good to see you back as well .

I don't swing things that have teeth on them ,

But, The pic. that is my avatar is a 600# 4 burner melting furnace that used to have windows behind it , A lot of them , Un til one morning one burner did'nt light off proper and FOOOOOOOOOOOM , No windows no hat no eyebrows .

I gotta good laugh outa this thread..

Michael

That'll get your attention in a hurry huh? LOL. Let me guess....early morning, only a sip or two of coffee and just rushing to get the day going...right?

Kenm810
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
LoL, I had forgotten about the waffle heads, haven't swung one in years
WoW what Finger and Thumb Tenderizer they are!!
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif Got the fleshy webbing between me finger and thumb one time,
I think I was in shock for and hour.

castingman
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
That sounds like a good story , I'll use that one instead of the hangover,

And i was AWAKE after that one !!!

Good to hear from ya buddy !

Michael

ChrisAlb
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
LoL, I had forgotten about the waffle heads, haven't swung one in years
WoW what Finger and Thumb Tenderizer they are!!
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif Got the fleshy webbing between me finger and thumb one time,
I think I was in shock for and hour.

Yep...LOL...done that a time or two myself. The worst is when it happens in the winter. Then it takes a good long time for the pain to reach it's highest level, then the throbbing starts, then the burning and then when the thumbs starts to warm up after getting home, it starts all over again!! LOL

atauer
11-17-2008, 02:31 PM
CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle. Material used does not stand up to pressure very well and will tend to snap, resulting in a rather large piece striking you in the head, resulting in a large head wound which will require either stitches or the use of a rather large amount of duct tape to close the gaping wound.

Done that as well! :)

supershingler
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
maybe we could add superglue to your list

the liquid stiches in a small bottle
burns a little but seals them cut up fast
and if need a little electrical tape or duct tape over the wound also

kendall

cnsranch
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Alex -

Did LHR know about your "skills" before they hired you?

:rolleyes:

atauer
11-17-2008, 02:40 PM
They did! That's why I'm on the phone and not in the shop. :)

jimsorrow
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Pocket knife with a locking blade. Designed to resist closing of the blade until enough force is applied while trying to poke a hole in leather and then abruptly allowing the blade to close on the thumb.