PDA

View Full Version : Returns

dlh978
11-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been watching Carvewright for some time now. Like many interested buyers I am concerned about the realiablity of the machine given that most seem to be returned. Numerous equipment failures and user errors are listed on the forum weekly. So why is quality a problem from the factory? What is the factory doing to improve quailty and eliminate out of box failures?

Where are the field training clases where a user could get hands on and make the purchase on sight?

This is one of those products you really want but hesitate for months. I want to see one in action...tell me where. I want to know what it will really do.

Jeff_Birt
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I have been watching Carvewright for some time now. Like many interested buyers I am concerned about the realiablity of the machine given that most seem to be returned. Numerous equipment failures and user errors are listed on the forum weekly. So why is quality a problem from the factory? What is the factory doing to improve quailty and eliminate out of box failures?

While I can understand your concern, I have to strongly disagree on your statement that 'most seem to be returned'. The last count we heard from CarveWright was that over 15,000 machine have been sold. If you count up every negative review you'll find that it is a very, very small percentage (like 0.005%, I mention this in another recent post.) The big issue with any product is that unhappy customers will go out of their way to complain while all the happy ones are busy enjoying their product. While a small percentage of the first production machines a few years ago did have few issues with a few parts like the Z-axis motor and board sensor, CW has redesigned both of these parts. Most recent reports of out-of-the-box problems (there are only a few now-and-then) seem to revolve around shippers being a little to rough with the machine which usually just requires the head to be leveled. I tend to think that checking/squaring/leveling is something that should be done with most any power tool (table saw, planer, etc) when you first set it up.

While the machine is not hard to operate/maintain it is more complecated than any other tools most of use have in our shops. Compared to say, a table saw, there are lots more moving parts. Keeping the machine clean, a 15 minute job after a day of using it, will help ensure that your machine stays in tip-top shape.

One of the benefits of this 'users forum' is that it gives us users a place to congregate and ask questions, share ideas, etc. So, if somebody is having a problem you'll likely find them asking a question here. (Most folks don't write to say their machine is working great.) If you take a look at other CNC machine forums you'll find the same thing.

The largest issue for new owners is realising that there is a learning curve and time spent reading through the available documentation, Tips&Tricks, and tutorials will go a long way to ensuring that one understands how to use the machine.

Where are the field training clases where a user could get hands on and make the purchase on sight?

CarveWright holds training classes at their facility in Texas (and I just saw they do them at the wood working shows too): http://www.carvewright.com/cms/TrainingClass, and you also might want to look for a wood working show in your area: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/scheduled-shows.

I'm not sure of your location, but you might post the general local as your likely to find a machine in your area who will gladly give you a demo.

fwharris
11-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I have been watching Carvewright for some time now. Like many interested buyers I am concerned about the reliability of the machine given that most seem to be returned. Numerous equipment failures and user errors are listed on the forum weekly. So why is quality a problem from the factory? What is the factory doing to improve quality and eliminate out of box failures?

Where are the field training classes where a user could get hands on and make the purchase on sight?

This is one of those products you really want but hesitate for months. I want to see one in action...tell me where. I want to know what it will really do.

dlh,

First off welcome to the forum. As a possible new user your are taking the right direction by joining the users forum. The information and support here will go a long way in helping new users to become successful with using the CW. I did not find out about the forum until after I had purchased my CC.

I would like to point out one possible misconception or assumption in your statement that "most" machines are returned. I would argue that is not true. Yes there are posts of carvers having to do that but I would guess that the number of returns compared to number of units sold is a low ratio. Of course I do not have the actual numbers (nor do you) to support our statements.

What is LHR doing? In the one year that I have had my machine they have made numerous design and software improvements. They have been listening to the users for what changes they would like to make these changes. I like other users have gotten upgrades to equipment because of a design change/improvement at LHR's cost.

As for seeing the machine first hand, try to find a user in your area (post your location and we will let you know who is close) and there are right now the traveling woodworkers shows going on (locations can be found on the main CW Web site). Also Lowe's stores are starting to sell the machine and they are doing user demos and those locations are also posted on CW site.

OR WHAT JEFF SAID!!!!

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM
you also might want to look for a wood working show in your area: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/scheduled-shows.

As long as you brought it up.

Is anyone planning to go to the Wood Working Show in Detroit on December 5-7? If you are I'd be available for a coffee and conversation. How about a meeting?

Also, I'm in Western Michigan and would be interested in attending/starting a local user's group.

Kenm810
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey Bill,

Yep, I'm Planning to be there Friday and probably Sunday too,
I'm looking forward to seeing LHR's New Demo of the Machine.

GrammaPam
11-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi dlh978 and all other new or wantabe CW/CC users,
I'm learning it's like marriage or raising children, for those of us that want it, still sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good. It's not always the fault of the person trying to solve the problem. There are rewards but it's up to each individual and how they handle the challenges as to if it's worth it. But for those of us that want it, no amount of naysaying will deter us. We hope we will be one of the lucky ones and when the going gets rough we believe it will get beter. There's got to be a reason we keep trying.
Good Luck
G.P.

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Bill,

Yep, I'm Planning to be there Friday and probably Sunday too,
I'm looking forward to seeing LHR's New Demo of the Machine.

I'll be there Saturday if my wife comes along, Friday and Saturday if I go alone. I'll let you know my agenda when it gets closer. The coffee is on me.

Kenm810
11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Bill,
Which ever works for you, I'm only about 15 minutes away from the Mt Clements
and the Donuts or Lunch are on me.
If you've not been there before, it's a good indoors walk around just to see everything.

DECEMBER 5-6-7
THE WOODWORKING SHOW (http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Default.aspx)
GIBRALTAR TRADE CENTER, INC,
MT. CLEMENS, MI 48043

http://www.gibraltartrade.com/

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Excellent! I have not been there and am looking forward to it. I'm about 3.5 hours away. I will add details when I get them.

Anyone else?