PDA

View Full Version : Locktite

jerrbitt
11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Am in the process of replacing the lower left fixed bearing and was told by the CW tech to make sure I use red locktite. I have blue locktite and quite frankly did not know there was a difference. Now I know that the red is a permanent adhesions that can only be removed with heat around 500 degrees while the blue adhesion can be broken loose with tools.

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2008, 08:14 AM
I use blue as it works fine for ME and in my opinion does the job of holding the screw tight and can be removed with mild heat. Using red and you will need to drill out the screw head and buy a new bearing and screw.

It's like a paint company telling you to punch a hole in the bottom of the can to use the paint. A one time use can..... Then you buy another can.

Why the red? How is "You can never remove it without damaging it" better than just holding it?

AL

HighTechOkie
11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Why the red? How is "You can never remove it without damaging it" better than just holding it?

Now I would have thought a guy who worked for Sony would understand the logic behind this better than anyone :D.

I was given the same advice and chose to use blue loctite as well. Definitely going to extremes, from no loctite from the factory to making it a permanent fixture requiring major effort and risk of damage to ever repair.

Rob

liquidguitars
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I use blue 2

LG

Rocky
11-17-2008, 04:57 AM
I use blue, too; but, then again, I didn't even know there was red.

jerrbitt
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Interesting follow up to my original post. I had talked to CW Friday and was told that the bearing and screws would be shipped and further told to use red locktite.

On Tuesday evening, I checked my answering machine (was out of town) and had a call from CW. Called them Wednesday morning and was told that before the parts would be shipped, I had to confirm that I would use red locktite on the fixed bearings. I advised that "Yes I understand that and you told me that last week." He replied "Well my supervisor said that I had to confirm this with you before she would approve the shipment of the parts."

Well I was looking forward to repairing my machine on my return Thursday but now know the parts won't be here by then. Overall, I'm pleased with the service from CW but on this occasion, just a little bit ticked.

So if you are under warranty and need to replace a fixed Z bearing, you better use red locktite ir be prepared to fib. :p

Digitalwoodshop
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Disregard my advice to use Blue Lock Tite. I am missing something here that LHR knows.

Use Red Lock Tite as directed.

AL

mtylerfl
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Disregard my advice to use Blue Lock Tite. I am missing something here that LHR knows.

Use Red Lactate as directed.

AL

Al,

Is red lactate something that's milked out of red cows??

EDIT: Nevermind - I found it (see photos)

Kenm810
11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Hmmmm - Elmers Removable Strength Red Lactate
Sounds a lot like Medium Strength Blue LocTite to me, or even Low Strength Purple Loctite http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
There's even a Green

Digitalwoodshop
11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Got me.... Can't even spell anymore..... Multi-(Lacktating)-tasking.....

Let's see.... Do one thing well....

Multi-Tasking..... Do many POORLY.....

11:35 PM.... I should just quit work and go to bed...... Like a normal person....

AL

RED COWS !!!!! Let's hope they are "Happy Cows"...... So that is where Strawberry Milk comes from.... I always thought it was Red Beet Juice and lots of SUGAR..... My Bad.... :)

Eagle Hollow
11-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Al,

Is red lactate something that's milked out of red cows??

EDIT: Nevermind - I found it (see photos)

I don't recommend trying to milk the bovine on the left. He could really get ticked!

FiddlemakerMills
11-21-2008, 12:31 AM
If you do a search in Mc Master Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ at the bottom of the page is the different colors that are used and the conditions they are used for.

The main reason the red is used, IMHO is the vibration induced in the QC during the carving process. The red thread locker http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=91458A17

#262 prevents inadvertent loosening of the parts, preventing damage to the machine and or personal injury.

Be safe and use what LHR recommends.

Jeff_Birt
11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
That's interesting and prompted me to do a quick search of Loc-Tites web site. I found two documents that I thought might be of interest.

Tips for product usage:
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/LT1475_Do_It_Right_User_Guide.pdf

Thread locking users guide:
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/92572_LT4985_Threadlocking_Users_Guide.pdf

What I found most interesting is that on many surfaces a primer is required for the product to work properly.

Tom75
11-21-2008, 09:00 AM
that good to know about the lock tite . they did not say witch colour to use so i used blue on the z-tuck bearing i will have to go back out to the gradgr to put red lock tite on the bearing screws . thanyou guys for the in put . that would have been a big mess if i did not look at this thred. all have a good one

FiddlemakerMills
11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
That's interesting and prompted me to do a quick search of Loc-Tites web site. I found two documents that I thought might be of interest.

Tips for product usage:
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/LT1475_Do_It_Right_User_Guide.pdf

Thread locking users guide:
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/92572_LT4985_Threadlocking_Users_Guide.pdf

What I found most interesting is that on many surfaces a primer is required for the product to work properly.

Jeff Thanks for finding the user manual for the locktite. I was going to scan the manual I have from a class 10 years ago. I thought it may be out of date. Thanks for saving me the time.

Carl

Hexe SA
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Interesting follow up to my original post. I had talked to CW Friday and was told that the bearing and screws would be shipped and further told to use red locktite.

On Tuesday evening, I checked my answering machine (was out of town) and had a call from CW. Called them Wednesday morning and was told that before the parts would be shipped, I had to confirm that I would use red locktite on the fixed bearings. I advised that "Yes I understand that and you told me that last week." He replied "Well my supervisor said that I had to confirm this with you before she would approve the shipment of the parts."

Well I was looking forward to repairing my machine on my return Thursday but now know the parts won't be here by then. Overall, I'm pleased with the service from CW but on this occasion, just a little bit ticked.

So if you are under warranty and need to replace a fixed Z bearing, you better use red locktite ir be prepared to fib. :p

I'm out of warranty and replaced the bearing using blue first. Guess what came loose and ruined another carving after 2 hrs. Re-did with red and haven't had a problem about 20 hrs now.
Eva

Digitalwoodshop
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, OLD DOGS can learn NEW Tricks....

Thanks for that input.....

Time to buy some Red....

AL

Tom75
11-22-2008, 08:24 PM
ok just a quick qustion to ease my minde . on new bit addapters use blue or red lock tite ? took old screws off the old addapter to put new addapters on the bits that had bb marks and the screws came off to easy . i used blue lock tite before shuld i stick to the blue or use the red ? i usyal put a dab on the shaft of the bit that slides in the addapter to .

mtylerfl
11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
ok just a quick qustion to ease my minde . on new bit addapters use blue or red lock tite ? took old screws off the old addapter to put new addapters on the bits that had bb marks and the screws came off to easy . i used blue lock tite before shuld i stick to the blue or use the red ? i usyal put a dab on the shaft of the bit that slides in the addapter to .

I use Blue on the 1/4" shank adapter screws, per LHR's recommendation. (I do NOT put any locktite on the shank of the bit, though.)

NOTE: Permanent Red is used on the 1/2" shank adapter screws, as they 'never' have to be removed - they are a totally different configuration than the 1/4" ones.