PDA

View Full Version : The bit is "wobbling"

MetroGnome
11-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Actually, I have two problems I think.

It said that the board was too thick to cut. I planed the board to exactly 3/4 inch and tried again. Same message. I told it to continue and at first it seemed OK.

Second, I can can see that the bit is wobbling at the tip. I noticed this because the sound had changed. When I took the board out it was rougher than normal.

Are these perhaps related? Is my QC kaput?

I had just cleaned and oiled before starting this carve. Its the Apple Box from Jeff, I only mention that because there have been others that have carved this project without difficulty.

MetroGnome
11-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I just read the care_and_maintenance_of_the_QC.PDF (yeah, I should have read it before posting) and went through the Cut Quality is Poor section. I think the Chuck is not tightened onto the spindle since with a finger in the chuck I can make it move at the spindle.

How do I tighten it? Do I?

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2008, 08:30 AM
If you have BB Marks in the lip of the Bit Holders you need to replace the QC and all damaged holders.

AL

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I've got less about 6 hours on the machine.

The cutting and carving bits look essentially brand new.

The joining bit flew apart as soon as the machine did that little spin when you first install a bit. That was where I learned that the bits in the Full Bit set do not have the set screws tightened and there is no locktite on them That was two days ago. I was going to joint the board but then I decided it was better to just use the table saw.

I stuck a finger in the chuck and moved it right/left/forward/back and I can see the chuck moving relative to the threaded shaft that it is screwed onto. This makes me think that it needs to be tightened and some locktite applied. However, since mine is the only machine I've ever seen I'm a little apprehensive about just cranking it down without a second opinion.

From 00:19 to 00:24 and 00:30 to 00:41 of this video (http://www.billsias.com/carvewright/Chuck.AVI) you can see the movement. Its not as obvious in the video as in person. I also put a video of the two bits (carving and cutting) here (http://www.billsias.com/carvewright/Bits.AVI). Its less clear but there is some paint removed from the adapter but no wear that I can detect, although I will quickly admit that I have no experience with CarveWright bit wear detection.

Amonaug
11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
If the QC is not porperly installed and/or the bits aren't properly installed you can have damage in as little as a few minutes of carving.

You can search the forums for something like "changing the QC" using the quotes.

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
If the QC is not porperly installed and/or the bits aren't properly installed you can have damage in as little as a few minutes of carving.

You can search the forums for something like "changing the QC" using the quotes.

I have the .PDF on how to tighten it if necessary.

I was actually hoping that someone with more experience than I would look at the video, compare what they see there with what their chuck does and offer an opinion as to whether it actually needs to be tightened or if I need to explore further. As I mentioned before, mine is the only one I've ever actually seen and that amount of play may be normal (but it seems wrong to me).

Amonaug
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Well since you read the pdf on care and maintenance of the QC you know that there shouldn't be ANY play in the QC. After seeing that first video I can tell you it looks like the QC backed off the threads some. There is a yellow line in the video that looks like some type of thread lock and that is where the top of the QC nut should be. The QC should be removed, cleaned (threads and inside) checked for damage on both QC and adapters then put back on with blue locktite.

You'll need a flat wrench and square allen wrench/ratchet.

Jeff_Birt
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Bill, As you have learned it is best to check all pre-assembled bits yourself before using them in the machine. I know they 'should' be OK, but just as with other high tolerance applications (like plasti-guaging a crankshaft even though the new bearings and turned crank 'should' be matched) I have learned to always double check and avoid any possible problems.

MetroGnome
11-16-2008, 07:19 PM
That's clearly true. If I had the knowledge of the machine when I opened the box as I have now I would have more carvings and less scrap wood.

Don't think that I have lost any enthusiasm for the machine, I ordered the project subscription this afternoon.

Jeff_Birt
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Yep, knowledge is power! (Hey that was an After School Rock tag line wasn't it?)

We've all been in your 'newbie' shoes, those first several weeks of wonderment and occasional frustration when learning the machine. After two years I still learn something almost everyday from this forum.

brouv
11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Just for information, I have this issue too (not alone) with just 6 hours of carving (new out of the box machine)
I sent an email last night to LHR to get a new QC because I went through all the cleaning,checking adapter, replacing adapters, etc....
Waiting for the answer ..... Keep you posted

MetroGnome
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Following the instructions, with the #3 square driver in the chuck into the square drive portion and the 7/8" flat wrench on the 7/8" nut. Holding the ratchet still while turning the wrench clockwise (as viewed from above).

I assumed that the square driver was to keep the threaded shaft that the flexshaft inserts into from moving while you turn the chuck off at the nut. I expected that it would be hard to turn and that I'd have to break the locktite loose. Even with the square driver inserted the shaft turns. For a moment I thought that perhaps the visible portion of the shaft was part of the chuck and that was to be unscrewed from the assembly above. After a couple minutes of no progress I decided that wasn't the case.

Digitalwoodshop
11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Bill,

Are you saying that the Square Drive hole in the top of the Spindle is stripped round?

Or the QC won't come off? Or is the QC loose and caused your bit wobble?

Make sure you heat the QC and rotate the QC slightly as you do the heating.

AL

MetroGnome
11-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Bill,

Are you saying that the Square Drive hole in the top of the Spindle is stripped round?

I don't think so. I can turn the spindle with the ratchet, moving the ratchet the other direction causes the ratchet to click as I expected.

Or the QC won't come off? Or is the QC loose and caused your bit wobble?

I think the QC is loose and is causing the bit to wobble. I haven't ruled out the QC being bad. That's the problem with "this", I don't know what a good one looks like. I don't know it I am to unscrew the chuck from the spindle or is the spindle a part of the chuck and all of that needs to be unscrewed from the assembly above (I doubt that).

Make sure you heat the QC and rotate the QC slightly as you do the heating.

I don't see how heating a part that is already moving will help. Obviously, I'm missing something.

AL[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding.

Like many things in life, once you understand how something works its difficult to explain it to someone that doesn't and the one that doesn't understand has trouble asking the right questions.

Here are my specific questions as best as I can form them:
1. Is the part that I need to insert into the chuck a #3 square drive bit? The .PDF never calls it a #3 square drive bit.

2. Does the chuck screw onto the spindle or is the spindle part of the chuck?

3. With the QC removal device (the #3 square drive bit I think) inserted and held firmly, should the spindle move when you turn the flat wrench? It seems not.

Here's what I think right now:
I think that my specific contraption (#3 square drive bit, adapter, extension) is not actually inserting into the square center of the spindle and therefore appears to be holding but actually is not. However, since I've never seen a CW except for mine I have no frame of reference.

Would it be easier to go from the other end and insert the square drive bit in same way as the flexshaft? I'm writing this from work and that last thought just struck me, it may be sheer lunacy.

I think, when I finally get mine running like a Rolex and I am comfortable with it, that I will produce a series of videos showing how to do all of this stuff for the next generation of newbies.

Kenm810
11-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Bill,
Here's a few Photos of the QC Chuck off the Machine
They show the small square hole as you look down through the Top Hat where the Flex-Shaft attaches,
and one shows the threads at top the of the Chuck where the Blue Loc-Tite is normally located.

Tom75
11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
if you are inserting the square drive frim the boottom you may need a small extention to get it in to the hole as i did . it is a bugger to get off . i thaught i had a qc cus it had a little wobbel to it and also had some jerky motion going left and right and up and down found out the roller bearing rod the z-truck had some pits in it when i got the new roller rod i took off the z-truck and found a crack in the z-truck that whent 3/4 the way accross that you could see from front to back . did not see it untill i took the z-truck off . when i called lhr told them what i saw and the agreed that with the crack that would caus the jerky motion .

MetroGnome
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Bill,
Here's a few Photos of the QC Chuck off the Machine
They show the small square hole as you look down through the Top Hat where the Flex-Shaft attaches,
and one shows the threads at top the of the Chuck where the Blue Loc-Tite is normally located.

Thanks Ken, that helps a lot.

MetroGnome
11-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I couldn't work on it last night (Dad duties) so this morning I went out to my shop just to try my new setup. Stuck it in the bottom, put on the wrench and gave it a turn. No difference, hmmmm...

Thinking about it and Ken's pictures I put the square driver I made into the top (where the flexshaft inserts) and while thinking about what to do next I spun it between my thumb and index finger. CLUNK, the chuck fell off and onto the glove I had sitting below it.

The threads on both the chuck and the spindle are clean and undamaged. There is no evidence that any locktite has ever been on either set of threads.

I'm going to reassemble this evening and hopefully get some carving done.

Kenm810
11-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Now You're Cookin! way to go.
Knew ya could do it. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

MetroGnome
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, and I really don't want to be at work.

MetroGnome
11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
if I should call LHR and let them know that at least one machine was assembled without the litetite.

On the other hand, I bet Barry is reading this thread and just keeping quiet.

Kenm810
11-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Quote: -- (Yeah, and I really don't want to be at work.)

I know what you mean,
Blah ---- It’s been a boring week so far, -- Catching up on some production work in the shop; I’ve been building 4 x 8 ft. wall section for an up coming Art Exhibition somewhere. Each is 6 to 12 inches thick with gallons of White Primer and Paint --- mind numbing to say the least. Their awkward to handle, heavy to move around, and generally not much fun to do -- But Pays the Bills I guess. At least I can hear my machine carving away in the background. --- Sounds like it’s calling to me --- is it Miller Time Yet!!