PDA

View Full Version : African Big Five Game Art

RayTrek
11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Hello
Have been carving, one new pattern and the final edits of some older.
The African big five game carve is inspired from a hand carved piece that I picked up in Zimbabwe, it is done in Cedar. Have been learning some new things that I believe have improved the pattern making but still have 30 draft png files, and a new one since the carve today I most enjoy doing it.
The Indian Eagle is 2’ tall and in poplar
Talk later
Ray 1.131

SharonB
11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Your African design is a masterpiece. Was this scanned or all designed in Designer? Great work no matter how you look at it. I'd like to see your Indian in person because I'm sure the picture does not do it justice. And, I've always liked the Oregon Trail carving...another great job. SharonB

www.go3d.us
11-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Very nice Ray. Very clean machine too.

GrammaPam
11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Really, really cool. Are you by any chance the artist of the log train design in the Carvewright pattern catalog? Will the Big Game design be for sale? The scope and skill of the two pieces are both so awsome it would be hard to think two different people did them. If I can get my machines operating properly befor Christmas I would like to purchase the train and set it on a cross cut saw carving for my husband for a present. Of course I'd have to develope the bucking saw, as I haven't seen any on any of the pattern catalogs. I think I can dig one out of the rafters and copy it good enough. He always wanted me to paint on one but I never felt up to the callange. With the Carvewright I think I could make one.
G.P.

jpaluck
11-15-2008, 12:04 AM
very nice looking..alot of work went into those patterns

John

Kenm810
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Ray,

Double thumbs up on those Projects
Nice clean detail, Very well done! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

RayTrek
11-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Thank you every one I find my self sometimes putting the extra into it because of you
And all the great projects I see here are teaching me how.
Sharon, the pattern was not scanned I started with some picks of the original carving and then PS cs2 where I designed each piece using layers of gradient fills and other scanned objects that I take shades out of then days of back and forth from designer editing 1.131 and PS Drawing in the details.
GP, I saw the log train this morning do not know ho did it and yes it is a very nice pattern. I have sent in the applications to the pattern store and yes these patterns will be submitted but need to be approved so time will tell.
HT, thanks I have over 300 hours on it now and with a pretty good pro active maintained program its still going strong “knock on wood” Kens, saying is true.
Ken, wow two thumbs you are making me blush
John, Thank you it is all of you that I have gotten this far.
Ray

DocWheeler
11-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Ray,

I just saw your post, those creations are great! I had hoped to create some patterns, but I do not seem to make time for that.

Again, those are very impressive.

mtylerfl
11-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Hello
Have been carving, one new pattern and the final edits of some older.
The African big five game carve is inspired from a hand carved piece that I picked up in Zimbabwe, it is done in Cedar. Have been learning some new things that I believe have improved the pattern making but still have 30 draft png files, and a new one since the carve today I most enjoy doing it.
The Indian Eagle is 2’ tall and in poplar
Talk later
Ray 1.131

Ray, those are great projects! You spoil us with your wonderful work!

GrammaPam
11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Ray,
I am getting more excited about your design being available for sale. I will do the train first but if the Big Five Game pattern is available after January I have a great plan for it. I am on a fixed income so have to follow a budget but I will start saving for it as it well should be costly. Please PM me to let me know when it is ready.
Thanks
G.P.

James RS
11-22-2008, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=RayTrek;70376]Thank you every one I find my self sometimes putting the extra into it because of you
And all the great projects I see here are teaching me how.
Sharon, the pattern was not scanned I started with some picks of the original carving and then PS cs2 where I designed each piece using layers of gradient fills and other scanned objects that I take shades out of then days of back and forth from designer editing 1.131 and PS Drawing in the details.
[/QUOTE

Beautiful work, I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean by the shading in PS

Thanks,
Jim

Kenm810
11-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Jim ,
I believe when Ray used "PS" he was referring to shading in Adobe Photoshop Software.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/Adobe_Photoshop.html

James RS
11-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Jim ,
I believe when Ray used "PS" he was referring to shading in Adobe Photoshop Software.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/Adobe_Photoshop.html

Good morning Ken,
I have Photoshop CS2, I'm trying to get an understanding of what he did.

RayTrek
11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Good morning
Again thanks for the great reviews
Many have asked for my methods using Photo shop CS-2 and I cannot in one thread explain all the things you can do with it.
After reading this about a hour back I decide to try and give one example of PS-CS-2 and designer pattern editing, Please under stand that I have worked with photo shop since it came out and the best way to learn it is to spend the hours and that I will not be able to give all the details.
I started this Bird with a drawing in pencil and scanned it into the computer loaded into ps and saved as png file cut out back ground leaving the dark pencil lines only and inverted and converted to RBG color adjusted hue, saturation and light, First pic.
Next pic shows a radial gradient fill using magic wand to crop area that I wanted filled I did it a few times till I had what I thought would be a good start and again set light and gave it a Gaussian blur 1.0.
Next using the dodge tool drew in some detail and shading keep in mind Exposure.
Next took in designer set depth .500 and did some blur tool work and set lower a bit.

RayTrek
11-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I went back to PS one more time in this example for some more tool work and then back to designer to finish the first part of this project.
I understand that this is brief in detail but I hope it gives some things for you to work with and with some time you will be showing me how its supposed to be done.
Every one have a great day and carve something
I am working on two sleighs one carve today and some clean up and will show them next couple of days I hope
Cheers - Ray