PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother question about two sided design

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm confused. Not that that isn't the usual thing! But I think I've been ambushed by my brain state and the visual appearance of the design software.

I'm trying to make a design in which the two sides of the board have mirror images so they line up when they're cut out.

So I flip to the back side and (because the software seems to do it this way when I use the rotate tool) I put it upside down and backwards. So when I use the rotate tool it shows me the backside the way I expect to see it.

But when I carved it out, - SURPRISE!!! The backside IS upside down and backwards. (sigh)

So I was blindsided between the way the rotate tool works and the way the F and R buttons work.

So my question is, and please say it slow so this confused old geezer can get it, how do I actually do what I want to do?

d

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Don,

Which way did you "flip" the board, end-for-end or top-to-bottom?

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Top to bottom.

d

Amonaug
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
You should always flip the board just like designer does when you use the F/R icons. The side closest to the keypad gets flipped so it's the furthest from the keypad.

When you design the board the backside needs to be upside down but not necessarily backwards. So something like

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Don,

I was concerned since I saw a post yesterday stating to always keep the top to the keypad side. I believe that you are doing it correctly.

To resolve your problem, do a cut-out path on the first side and look at it on the back - then place the object in that cut-out. Is that the way you thought it should have been?

I personally have not had good results from two-sided carvings, they always seem to be about a 16th of an inch off. I can live with that, but find it easier to just make two mpcs.

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Ken,

How do you make sure that the two mpcs line up to each other?

d

Kenm810
11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
If I may, I drilled a couple of index holes and lined them up on the front and back.
If you want, you can delete them before you load it up for carvimng

Audie
11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I use the same technique as Ken and works great each time

Audie

Amonaug
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Another way is on the front for example attach the pattern to the top edge and left edge of the board. Note the measurements, let's say 1 inch from the TOP and 2 inches from the left. Now click R to flip the board, top becomes the bottom and left remains left. Now put your pattern and flip it vertically then attach 1 inch to the BOTTOM and 2 inches to the left and they should line up perfectly.

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Another way is on the front for example attach the pattern to the top edge and left edge of the board. Note the measurements, let's say 1 inch from the TOP and 2 inches from the left. Now click R to flip the board, top becomes the bottom and left remains left. Now put your pattern and flip it vertically then attach 1 inch to the BOTTOM and 2 inches to the left and they should line up perfectly.

Kevin's method is the best way - very exacting.

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks Ken M. and Amonaug, I went away for awhile.

Don, since you can have two mpcs in Designer at the same time and you can attach corners of the pattern to the centerlines and edges, it is not difficult to position it. That bodes well with my years in construction and doing layouts.

I hope that you have enough information to get you through this rough-spot.

fwharris
11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
This is how I do it...

Double side carve:

set pattern sizes, locations, outline and cutpath on front side

copy and paste each pattern one at a time to the back side

flip the pattern vertically

align the back side with the vert. and horiz. reference points "I believe they are actually called attachments" from the front side. This sets the back side patterns at the same distance from the edges of the front side of the board.

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Gentlepersons,

I'm baffled!

I went back to my original pattern and drilled the hole. It came through right where I thought it should.

So, I blew the R side away and started all over with the transfer of the F side pattern.

It looks just like my original pattern!

I'm sure I turned the board correctly after the fine directions I got on that, but I'll never know now, until I carve it out again!

BOOGERS!

d

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Don,

Here is what a typical two-sided carving will look like in Designer...also an illustration of board flipping.

liquidguitars
11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
flip it like a page in a book...

copy and paste each pattern one at a time to the back side

flip the pattern vertically

align the back side with the vert. and horiz. reference points "I believe they are actually called attachments" from the front side. This sets the back side patterns at the same distance from the edges of the front side of the board.

This is how i do it also.. One thing to remember if your table pressure is wrong and the board slips at any time you will be out of
alignement making your carvings off.

LG