PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a PTN file of a wing?

jwhllh55
11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm looking for a PTN File that is of a airplane wing. With a leading edge and trailing edge. If you have one or know of away to make one, let me know.
Thank you in advance..
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

FiddlemakerMills
11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
What style of wing are you looking for?
symmetrical ?
semi-symmetrical ?
what reynolds number would fit your needs?
Straight ?
Tapered ?
Swept ?

jwhllh55
11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
What style of wing are you looking for?
symmetrical ?
semi-symmetrical ?
what reynolds number would fit your needs?
Straight ?
Tapered ?
Swept ?

Fiddler,
What I'm making is a two part wing. It is for a wind mill, that has six wings total. Three on top and three on the bottom. Each wing are mounted to a ring of plywood and there will be three rings. Eanc wing is 48" long X 12" Wide and made of hard foam. Each side of the wing are the same and will be glued together after they are craved.
The wings will be verical opposed to each other. I know, without a picture it's hard to see what I am talking about.. The foam I'm using is 2" thick, so the finished wing will be 3" or so. Depends on how much the carver takes out.
There will be a 1/2" all thread going down the middle to keep it ridged and afix to the top and bottow ring.
Thanks,
John Hammett

FiddlemakerMills
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
If you search for "propellers is it possiable" Ken explained how to make an airfoil shape.

Ike
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
will this work?

Ike

jwhllh55
11-14-2008, 09:12 AM
will this work?

Ike

No, I sorry, but I wanted a wing that is uniform from end to end. This is a wind foil that is the same on both sides. But thanks a lot for trying.
I'm still working on it.

Kenm810
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
One of the problems that may have to be solved,
The Carving and Cutting Depth is limited to .8"

jwhllh55
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM

That is exactly what it should look like.
Did you have a hard time learning how to do that? I just can't seem to get the idea from my head to the ptn editor..
If you have the ptn or mpc let me know..
Thank you for your time.. It above my pay grade..
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

jwhllh55
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Once I have what you have there, is that I will carve it then it would get a couple of coats of fiberglass and it should be strong enough to stand up to a 50 to 60 mph wind.
Here is a picture of what I'm making.
Thanks again..

Kenm810
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry, no .ptn, I just used CW Designer to Draw it up.
Your welcome to the .mpc File, hope it helps a little,
You should be able to re-size it to suits your needs

In the Thread Propeller: Is it possible? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8434&highlight=prop) it shows how to do it.

jwhllh55
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry, no .ptn, I just used CW Designer to Draw it up.
Your welcome to the .mpc File, hope it helps a little,
You should be able to re-size it to suits your needs

In the Thread Propeller: Is it possible? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8434&highlight=prop) it shows how to do it.

Ken,
I don't know how to thank you.. It will do fine I think. I'm uploading it now and will try to carve it today. I'll let you know how it goes. It seems it will take about 5 hours to carve, but if it's what I need, it's worth it.
Thanks again very much.

Kenm810
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Any Luck, I had some time after dinner to play with it a little more.
The Project blank starts at 1" x 14" x 50" or there abouts.

jwhllh55
11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Any Luck, I had some time after dinner to play with it a little more.
The Project blank starts at 1" x 14" x 50" or there abouts.

Ken,
I started the project and half way, I received a 238 error. The blue foam from the cutting built up under the bottom roller between the belt and roller. In doing so, after cleaning, the belt has stretched out of shape. The z movement is now moving, but the belt is really loose. Is there a way to tighten the belt or do I need to replace it?
I have written LHR an email asking the same thing. I just did that, so I don't know when they will answer.
What I ended up doing was using your design, but changed it just a little. The half it did do really looks great and it's what I want. The change was I took out the center 1/2" grove, I can do that on the Router Table. Then I made the wing 10" X 48". That gave me an inch on each side for the rollers to ride on. Other wise, I would have had to make a shed for the whole thing. A 10" wing is large enough... it will really look good once I get it all carved.
The time it takes is over the top however, it takes 10 hours per wing to carve. That is over 120 hours of carving per wind mill. That's a lot..
Again Thank you for the design. I'm learning that the more I learn, the less I really know.
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

Kenm810
11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I just read your post and am sorry to hear about the belt stretching, never had it happen so I don't really know if there an adjustment on tension you can make.
When you mentioned the amount of carving time involved for each wing, I thought of the folks using their machine to carve a negative molds,
that you could mix the urethane foam you need yourself and cast each half in sets.
We've done a few with the aerosol material they call Stuff and then wrapped it with fiber glass.
Just a thought -- I know -- one thing at a time.

I do a lot of foam carving and use a DD Cabinet and air sweep,
it's almost a necessity on long foam carves,
the dust sticks to everything.

Dan-Woodman
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Which belt are you referring to . It sounds like your referring to the sanding belt,our it could be the Z-truck belt. The sanding belts are under constant tension and the z-belt has a screw to tension it on top.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
John,

Loosen the two screws holding the Z motor and the spring at the top should pull the motor up to tighten the belt. Then re-tighten the two screws.

jwhllh55
11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
John,

Loosen the two screws holding the Z motor and the spring at the top should pull the motor up to tighten the belt. Then re-tighten the two screws.

Yea, Doc I have been studying the problem and I thought it's a task I need to tackle in the morning when I'm fresh and not mad at it. You know there should be a sheild to cover the belt and pullies, to keep the dust and cuttings out of there. It would be easy to do, like a plactic cover or something like that. One day, I'll take it all apart and see if I can make something that would work..

Thanks again..
John Hammett