PDA

View Full Version : Z Truck Bearing

jerrbitt
11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Found what appears to be the problem with my machine cutting erratically - depth mostly. The lower Z bearing on the left side (toward the keyboard) is loose. The phillips head will tighten it but it does not "lock" -- you can still turn it. I've carved after tightening it but it loosened again.

I've read some posts after doing a search but can't seem to find whether there is a nut the phillips head screws into or some sort of retainer. Can't seem to see anything but haven't taken the cover off yet to get a better view.Supposedly from the various posts, CW wants the machine returned to them to repair/replace the Z truck/bearings.

Any instructions from how to handle this problem will be appreciated.

Found I can get a wrench on the nut on the back of the bearing. Now I can tighten the phillips head. Question is can I just tighten it without adjusting the opposit cam type bearing? Also should I remove the phillips head screw and place some locktite on it before retightening it?

bjbethke
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Found what appears to be the problem with my machine cutting erratically - depth mostly. The lower Z bearing on the left side (toward the keyboard) is loose. The phillips head will tighten it but it does not "lock" -- you can still turn it. I've carved after tightening it but it loosened again.

I've read some posts after doing a search but can't seem to find whether there is a nut the phillips head screws into or some sort of retainer. Can't seem to see anything but haven't taken the cover off yet to get a better view.Supposedly from the various posts, CW wants the machine returned to them to repair/replace the Z truck/bearings.

Any instructions from how to handle this problem will be appreciated.
Z Truck needs to be removed to be repaired, may need new parts, it’s best to return CW machine. They will give the machine a complete check up.

DocWheeler
11-13-2008, 06:27 PM
jerrbitt,

BJ gave you good advice, especially if you are still under warranty.
On the other hand, the rollers are not a "big deal" as I found out.
I replaced all eight of them last month (along with a Y motor).
There are instructions available.

One side of the Z truck has off-center attachment holes in order to tighten them - can't recall which side but thought it was the "back" side. And YES, there are flats for a thin wrench.

bjbethke
11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
This image shows what the back side of the Z Truck looks likes.
I think they were posted by Digitalwoodshop.

I have a PDF for replacing the Z Truck, it is to large to post, PM me with your E-mail, I will send it to you.

(CarveWright_service_replace_z-truck.pdf:
Your file of 941.6 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 488.3 KB for this filetype.)

PDF's have size limit on the Forum.