PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" Bit snapped - HDPE

Carvingshark
11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
We are carving plastics. No probs so far on HDPE, but my 1/8" bit snapped this morning and in Canada I can't get replacement. I think I attempted to buy from LHR a while back.

Who can we purchase from ... & are there "stronger" bits. I think we are going to need a couple of them.

Deolman
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
If you go to the bottom of Carvewright's web site there is a link announcing a Canadian Reseller in Canada now. The number to call is 1-888-874-8661. Hope this helps.

atauer
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Carvingshark,

Just go to a distributor in Canada and tell them that you need to order the bits through them. They can place the order for you. If you still have trouble getting them, contact Triton Woodworking at the number that Deolman posted. We are in contact with Triton on a daily basis.

Jeff_Birt
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
HDPE gets soft pretty easily when machining causing the tooling to grab and snap. Adding an air-blast may help keep the bit (and stock) cooled down. I've been using an air blast system for more than a year now with great success: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=3704&highlight=automatic+air+blast. I never did get around to fully automating it..

Carvingshark
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
it sort of looked like a loop of masking tape (used over the hdpe) grabbed but I have a hard time believing it would cause a healthy bit to snap. we ere doing some larger areas but it didn't look so hot so we'll just be doing much less intense work on HDPE.

acetal has higher metal point and is a stronger plastic. machines amazing. great for small plastic parts.

anyway typical Canada - no stock wait 'til dec... on back order. i can't wait for this need a quicker solution.

is there warranty on the bits? The machine is just a few months old...

Jeff_Birt
11-14-2008, 08:19 PM
From what I understand HDPE requires a combination of slower spindle speeds/ higher travel speeds and still you have to worry about it overheating and becoming to gummy and pliable. This is no doubt why CW only recommends cast acrylics as diffrent materials require very unique settings, and trying to get those right can break a lot of bits.

Yes, acetal (a.k.a. delrin) is great stuff and generally machines quite well.