PDA

View Full Version : Measuring error?

Don Butler
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm trying to start a carve, but the CW isn't agreeing with me.

The project board, carefully measured, squared and perfect measures 10/15.5.
The CW, after asking if I want it to stay under the rollers (Y), measures the board and shows it to be 8.565/15.500.

Why? Isn't this going to result in a smaller carve field than the one I designed?

????????????

d...

HelpBot3000
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes it will. Now, assuming that you are saying "no" to stay under rollers, check your outfeed trays. They are adjustable and sometimes after periods of use they come out of adjustment. This results in the project board coming off of the board tracking sensor (brass wheel between the sandpaper belts.) The sandpaper belts keep turning regardless and the part that didn't run over the sensor gets "skipped". You can test the level of the feed trays, assuming that your floor and table are level to begin with, by placing a straight edge across the sandpaper belts and make sure they are on the same plane as the black rollers on the ends of the outfeed trays. Additionally, make sure that your boards are straight because if they are cupped even slightly that can cause the board to rise off of the board tracker. If all else fails, give us a call and I can help you further.

bjbethke
11-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes it will. Now, assuming that you are saying "no" to stay under rollers, check your outfeed trays. They are adjustable and sometimes after periods of use they come out of adjustment. This results in the project board coming off of the board tracking sensor (brass wheel between the sandpaper belts.) The sandpaper belts keep turning regardless and the part that didn't run over the sensor gets "skipped". You can test the level of the feed trays, assuming that your floor and table are level to begin with, by placing a straight edge across the sandpaper belts and make sure they are on the same plane as the black rollers on the ends of the outfeed trays. Additionally, make sure that your boards are straight because if they are cupped even slightly that can cause the board to rise off of the board tracker. If all else fails, give us a call and I can help you further.
Question? The measurements stated sounds like the width measurement. On my machine that measurement is taken where I place the board in the machine. The brass wheel should not effect that measurement. (8.565/15.500)

mtylerfl
11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to start a carve, but the CW isn't agreeing with me.

The project board, carefully measured, squared and perfect measures 10/15.5.
The CW, after asking if I want it to stay under the rollers (Y), measures the board and shows it to be 8.565/15.500.

Why? Isn't this going to result in a smaller carve field than the one I designed?

????????????

d...

Hello Don,

Couple other things that can throw the width measurement off...

1) Board is too dark

2) Board has a strip of dark grain (or a dark knot) making the LED board sensor "think" it has come to the edge of the board

3) The board has a previously carved area and the LED board sensor stops at that edge instead of the board edge

The solution is the same for all 3 scenerios...
apply a length of light-color masking tape to the area where measurement is taken across board (ya know, the area where the LED sensor travels over the width). Be sure the strip of tape ends at the edge of the board (the edge farthest away from the keypad side normally)

Don Butler
11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Mike,
The board wasn't the problem. Apparently it was my response to the query "Stay under the rollers?" I thought I was supposed to say "Yes".
After I tried it the other way (No), it didn't report the size of the board but it carved the item at full size.

I'm slowly getting into the groove. Maybe someday I'll be able to help someone else with the CW.

d...

mtylerfl
11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Did you not have the additional 7" required to keep it under the rollers?
What was the size of your virtual board? and What was the size of the real board you put into the machine? (I am assuming the width of the board matched the width of the layout in Designer)

Maybe you already know this...
If your virtual "fake" board was say, 12" long in Designer, then the actual "real" board you put in the machine needs to be 19" long for you to say "YES" to the stay under rollers prompt without risk of the machine reducing your layout to fit a board that is too small.

The "only" time it is safe to say "NO" to the stay under rollers prompt is if your board (or sled) is 7" longer than your virtual "fake" board. In other words, it's the same either way...no matter if you say YES or say NO, your real board (or sled) must be at least 7" longer than the virtual board for the project to stay under the rollers at all times.

To keep it super simple: Always add 7" length to the board you put into your machine, either by cutting a board that length, or by using a sled or carrier board that is that length.

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Mike,
I did make the board 7" longer than the area to be carved. I got that message loud and clear. What I didn't get, loud and clear, is when to say "yes" and when to say "no" to the query "Stay under rollers?".

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Don

Amonaug
11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
When you tell it to stay under the rollers it reports the workable area of the board. In other words you have a 15.5" board - 7 " would be 8.5" of carving area which it reported as 8.565/15.500.

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
HA HA HA HA HA

I really didn't get THAT at all! I thought the15.5/8.565 meant 15.5 by 8.565 inches!

I'll get it, but, apparently, slowly, very slowly!

d

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Hello Don,

So if your board was 15.5" long that you put into the machine, that means your "virtual" board in Designer was 8.5" long, correct?

If not, that accounts for the problem you had - i.e., that you really did not have the extra 7" required;) (which is what I have been suspecting)

Show us the original mpc - we can tell in an instant!

Don Butler
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Mike,

What it means, Michael, is that I answered the question with the wrong answer!

d...

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Been there, done that!