PDA

View Full Version : Stop button didn't function

Rocky
11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
I was just beginning a carve using multiple bits and the first thing the CW called for was the 90 degree V bit. I pressed "Select" as usual, then I realized I intended in Designer to use the 60 degree V bit, so I pressed stop with no bit inserted. But, the CW kept moving the head back and forth trying to do "something". I pressed stop several more times and the CW kept going. I finally had to turn off the power switch.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

HelpBot3000
11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
That can come from one of two places. Either the controller has an issue (damaged cable, loose connection, plain old bad controller) or the keypad is not functioning. Take your side panel off and look at the keypad, particularly at the cable coming off of it and running to the controller. If you don't see anything wrong at either point, call us and we can take you further from there.

Rocky
11-13-2008, 12:30 PM
That can come from one of two places. Either the controller has an issue (damaged cable, loose connection, plain old bad controller) or the keypad is not functioning. Take your side panel off and look at the keypad, particularly at the cable coming off of it and running to the controller. If you don't see anything wrong at either point, call us and we can take you further from there.

The stop button seems to work otherwise, so for now I think I'll pass taking off the side panel.

Thanks,

HelpBot3000
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Well keep an eye on it. If it starts to occur in other areas of operation then my primary suspect would be the parts I listed above.

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Your wasting your time "In MY Opinion" taking the keypad apart. I believe this is just the controller doing what the computer is telling it to do and moving from on place to another. It is most likely just one line in a very long program. Once it starts moving it will complete it's travel before responding to a keypad Stop command or IRQ. If you had opened the cover I believe it would have stopped quickly in mid travel. It is like an Emergency stop button with a higher IRQ priority.

So you ask "Why IS this?"..... Well it all comes down to what the Controller and Computer does. The processor hums along doing it's thing and like the computer you are using at home, it has a processor, input, output, display, power supply, and memory.

There is a thing called a Interrupt or IRQ, in the computer program and Interrupts are assigned a priority. The Cover Switch has a High Priority so the program may check for a cover switch input ever 2 steps in the program but may check the keypad interrupt every 4 steps in the program.... So when you press the Stop Key it sets a bit in a register and waits for the processor to look at the register. So if the computer just set a output bit to have the Y Axis move from left to right and you press a stop key it will wait for the key IRQ to be looked at. Even if it see's the stop key it, the program is written to "Complete" the current function it is doing.

I know all this because I was a Navy Instructor teaching a Digital Gun Fire Control System in 84. We broke down all the computer functions and registers and input and output devices.

Here is a picture of me sitting at the control panel of a MK 68 Digital Gun Fire Control System that was used with a radar to aim the 5 inch gun capable of reaching 12 miles. I was a E6 then and during the school I was advanced to Chief or E7 and was asked to stay and teach the school.

Picture 2 and 3 are the Digital Computer and Picture 4 is early in my Career in 77 off the coast of Japan on a Tin Can in the Gun Director a Radar that aims the gun.

The second picture is a Univac UYK-20 General Purpose Computer. It was used to run the Fire Control System and another just like it was used to unscramble the radio communications in the radio room.

All the little lights and push switches are broken down into a 16 bit word along the top and the others are memory registers. We had the ability to monitor and force command with that keyboard.

It was later replaced with the UYK-44 computer a faster computer.

So in summery, your Carve Machine is just doing what is NORMAL for the circumstance. If you push the stop button while the computer is carving it will respond and STOP the carve...

Don't believe me....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt What is a IRQ

http://www.kh6bb.org/photos1.html UYK-7 Used in a Radio Room

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-68.htm

From the kh6bb page.... Your Cell Phone has more computing power.....

A view inside the AN-UYK/20 computer used in the NAVMACS message processing system, showing the control panel with switches and lights for individual bits. This computer has 64K of memory (that's kilobytes, not megabytes) and about one five-hundredth of the power of a modern PC.

The Gray Box behind the Computer in picture 2 was the 3/4 inch Magnetic Tape Drive that held the program....

AL

cnsranch
11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
You were a lot better-looking back then, too :D

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
You were a lot better-looking back then, too :D

That is because I got hit with the UGLY Stick a few too many times..... :)

AL

HelpBot3000
11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Well Al, I respect your opinion and ironically you have had your machine longer than I have been with this company. When you give advice on subjects on this forum, trust me, we pay attention. User feedback is the best and you are a shining example thereof. My diagnosis was just a couple of possibilities of the cause of the problem that could be checked. Your diagnosis is very possible as well. Also, I liked seeing those pics of you in the service. My father served on the USS America as an electrician and seeing those pics reminded me of him in his Navy days. To you and to all of our military folks past and present, thank you for your service! :D

ChrisAlb
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Al is 100% right. It simply has to complete the operation before it will respond to the Stop button. Had this happen many times myself. Just wait for it to finish it's "current" process and all will be well again...LOL

Rocky
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Al, I was in information systems for over 35 years before I retired; so, your logic makes sense to me. I should have thought of that possibility myself. I do appreciate the quick response from HB3K. As I indicated, I wasn't about to take the side off for this minor "problem".

Al, 64k of memory! You were in the lap of luxury. When I started programming on an IBM 1401 it had 8K; and, when we upgraded to 12K, I was in heaven.

Jeff_Birt
11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
On the 'big boy' commercial CNC machines they call it 'Feed Hold'. It works just as Al said, finish the current operation and then pause. The classic 'feed hold' will often leave the spindle running and if your move the axis the machine may not know how to get safely back to where it left off. The classic CNC 'Stop' stops everything immediately and may return the spindle to a safe position and can have the same issues getting back to where it left off safely.

CW made it much simpler for us by making a combination 'Feed Hold' and 'Stop' that is smart enough to pick up where it left off.

Rocky
11-14-2008, 05:08 AM
On the 'big boy' commercial CNC machines they call it 'Feed Hold'. It works just as Al said, finish the current operation and then pause. The classic 'feed hold' will often leave the spindle running and if your move the axis the machine may not know how to get safely back to where it left off. The classic CNC 'Stop' stops everything immediately and may return the spindle to a safe position and can have the same issues getting back to where it left off safely.

CW made it much simpler for us by making a combination 'Feed Hold' and 'Stop' that is smart enough to pick up where it left off.

Somehow, Jeff, I knew you would have some good feedback....thanks.

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2008, 12:47 PM
It just comes down to knowing your machine. Over time we see things that are normal and things that are "why did it just do that?"....

A interrupt is like raising your hand in Sunday School.... Depending on your priority, the teacher would finish her sentence before asking you what your question was or stop mid sentence and say.. Yes, Johnny you can go to the rest room........

At the end of my Career in 95 I happened to be at the Barstow, CA Military Salvage yard on a day off and saw one of the UYK 7 Computers being offered for reuse or after a period of time sold as scrap. I went into the office and called my Navy Command and asked the computer guys if they wanted a "Training Aid"... And they said No..... It just showed how the usefulness of a 64 K computer had dropped to scrap. We had 2 in the building I worked at for Computer training.

AL