PDA

View Full Version : Problems -- Cutting Grooves

jerrbitt
11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm having a problem. As you can see by the attached photos, the machine is randomly cutting irregular. On the one picture you can see a line thorugh the apple and to the left more lines by the stars. I was watching the cut and I noticed that the motor would change pitch, spinning faster, when it cut the grooves. The bit is tight and there does not seem to be any play in the truck although it is difficult to check up and down movement.

Any ideas as to what the problem is.

Thanks

brady.schwyhart
11-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Can you post your mpc? That would help to try and determine the problem. On the first two it kinda looks like some of my first carves where I didn't have the extra 3 1/2 inches on each end so they came out from under the rollers.
Brady

Digitalwoodshop
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Board length same as designer? Board tipping up not under the rollers? Rookie mistake but with over 100 posts I don't think that is the case... So assuming the board was 7 inches longer than the designer and under the rollers all the time lets move on to what else can cause this.

Bit loose in Bit holder, set screws loose.

Bad QC and bit holder has BB marks.

QC has become UN Screwed and is loose.

Belt on the back of the Z Truck has a loose screw and belt is slipping.

Z Motor Encoder has gone bad, missing some pulses. ( Most likely not as it did not dive into the board. )

Loose Z Bearing or Y Bearing? Can you grab the bit tip and try to move it? Does it move?

Z Belt cogs or the gear cogs have impacted dust.

Not an area of my expertise but the quality of the .ptn or .mpc could be a problem... .jpg artifacts??? A check of the equipment would be to make some 1 inch squares around the board the same size you used or the back side of the same board. Use Carve Region and select a depth like .100 on one box .200 on another and so on..... Look for FLAT bottom squares and that tells you the equipment is FINE and the .mpc was the fault....

Let us know....

AL

jerrbitt
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Attached is the mpc. Actually I used it before for "Miss Gray" with no problems. The only thing I changed is the "Mrs."

With regard to the other suggestions:

NO Bit loose in Bit holder, set screws loose.

NO Bad QC and bit holder has BB marks.

NO QC has become UN Screwed and is loose.

WOULD THAT BE THE TENSION SCREW -- I DID REPLACE THE MOTOR AND I THINK THE BELT IS TIGHT. Belt on the back of the Z Truck has a loose screw and belt is slipping.

?????Z Motor Encoder has gone bad, missing some pulses. ( Most likely not as it did not dive into the board. )

NO Loose Z Bearing or Y Bearing? Can you grab the bit tip and try to move it? Does it move?

WILL CHECK Z Belt cogs or the gear cogs have impacted dust

jerrbitt
11-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Can you post your mpc? That would help to try and determine the problem. On the first two it kinda looks like some of my first carves where I didn't have the extra 3 1/2 inches on each end so they came out from under the rollers.
Brady

I used "stretchers" to give me the extra length needed.

FiddlemakerMills
11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
If the Z encoder is dirty it will cause missed pulses. Try removing the cover for the z encoder and check that the encoder is clear of dust. I had an issue with the z truck moving and carving incorrectly. Once I cleaned the encoder out the issue was corrected.