PDA

View Full Version : Muffler blowing off during carve

Hexe SA
11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
It is the first time that that has happened to me but the Muffler bag is blowing off the machine during carve. Turned the machine off put it back on and started carving again. After a few seconds it blew off again. Stopped again cleaned the bag real good, put it back on, started and it blew of again. Right before the first "blow" the rpm's started to increase, at least that's what it sounds like. Stopped completely and when I removed the board there was a screw about 1 inch long black, philips flat head with head taper laying on top. It is smaller than an M5. Looked thru the parts list but the screws that I found with that length go on the x-axis wheels or the cover switch opposite the key board. I don't know if one has to do with the other, but your input is greatly appreciated as always.
Thanks
Eva

jcorder
11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I have had mine blow off, and also mine has blown a hole in the seam of the end of the bag. I have had the machine since June and the hole appeared very early on in the young life of the machine. It does not see to have any effect on the machine.

atauer
11-11-2008, 01:13 PM
The bag is not necessary to run the machine. It is merely a muffler to help dampen the noise from the cut motor. If you would prefer to have a bag without a hole, you can always call our sales team and purchase one.

If you wish to save a little money, some of our customers have actually put a sock over the bag to create their own "Bag". I'm not saying to do this, its just what others have done in the past.

Also, I am not sure why the machine keeps blowing it off, but removing it and then placing it on again will wear down the plastic pieces, resulting in a loss of material for the parts to grip on.

jcorder
11-11-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL Alex you sound like my wife, she has told me to put a sock in it if few times..LOL. The hole causes it to be a bit more loud than before, but I wear plugs anyway. I don't notice much dust at all since I put my machine on a downdraft table.

Audie
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I had the same problem and tried the sock - problem I found with the sock is it reduced the air flow and seemed to make the cut motor run harder and strain more. I came up with an idea - used a flex hose off of an old canister vacuum cleaner and ran it into my downdraft box. Air flow is supurb and seems to run quieter. IT does not interfer with boards as I secured it to the side.

Audie

jcorder
11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I had the same problem and tried the sock - problem I found with the sock is it reduced the air flow and seemed to make the cut motor run harder and strain more. I came up with an idea - used a flex hose off of an old canister vacuum cleaner and ran it into my downdraft box. Air flow is supurb and seems to run quieter. IT does not interfer with boards as I secured it to the side.

Audie

Wow! Great idea. Alex do you see any problem with doing that? Will it restrict anything in the machine?

cnsranch
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
No worries, Eva - it's just taken you a little longer than the rest of us to find that you have a screw loose :-D

atauer
11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think that Audie's setup will hurt anything. As long as the hose does not interfere with the workings of the machine, it should be fine. However, keep in mind that modifying the machine can void the warranty, so I would be hesitant about making drastic changes. It looks like Audie hasn't even modified his, just plugged in a vacuum hose.

jcorder
11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
perfect, I will just slip it into the muffler port and make no changes....any luck on that file I sent you Alex?

Audie
11-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Jeff and Alex,

The vacuum flex hose fit perfectly without any modification to the CW. At first I ran the hose out the window but the sawdust was just blowing back into my shop - then it hit me- hmmmmm, the downdraft box would be take care of that problem, so a hole saw bit took care of that problem fast!

Audie

jcorder
11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
sounds like a project for tonight

Amonaug
11-11-2008, 01:49 PM
If the assembly keeps blowing off try some masking tape to add material back to where it plugs in. Mine did the same thing and after adding the tape it's nice and snug.

atauer
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
perfect, I will just slip it into the muffler port and make no changes....any luck on that file I sent you Alex?

Working on it Jeff. Not sure what is going on with it. Will let u know the status.

jcorder
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Alex, that would have been on the tail end of the board, if that was not under the rollers, it would have effected all the letters, not just 3 in a line down right? I always run under the rollers, but it was the end of a long board and it was really pretty wood, so I run that one not under the rollers. The thought just hit me.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
A piece of electrical tape around the shaft should make it a snugger fit.. "is snugger a word?" Anyways it holds it in place. Cleaning the muffler real good may help also. I have the same problem and the tape works for me.

jcorder
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Alex,
The board was 10 inches by 7.25. I let it go not under the rollers since the big carve was in the middle of the board. The three letters that were not cut deep were basically in a line from top to bottom on the board. There were letters behind it though that were cut just fine.

mtylerfl
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I have never used the mufflers on either of my machines. :eek:

liquidguitars
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I have never used the mufflers on either of my machines.

Hard to see it but its dusty, the bag traps the very fine type of dust thats bad for the old lungs..

Not sure if removing the bag cuts down on the air needed to clean and cool the truck...

LG

mark1945
11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
My muffler came apart so I put a piece of shop vac hose on it.I let it stick out the door of my shop it also helps cut down on noise.
Mark1945

mtylerfl
11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Hard to see it but its dusty, the bag traps the very fine type of dust thats bad for the old lungs..

Not sure if removing the bag cuts down on the air needed to clean and cool the truck...

LG

Yeah, I probably should use 'em to keep the dust out of me alright!