PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy.

ASHGRIMM
11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Hello everyone

I have been reading the posts here for a while and am having a hard time deciding to purchase a carvewright.
It seems that there are some who love and understand it and some who struggle with problems and issues, weather self inflicted or failure in the machine I am not sure. There is a belief that newer vs. older machines have some advantage.
In reading the posts across the forums and reviews on Amazon and other sites I find a steady flow of negative input.

So I am looking to all of you who have taken the plunge for advice to buy or not to buy and help me understand if the bad press is just user derived or that the machine is under built and under developed.

Thank you
Ash

jcorder
11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Hello Ash and welcome to the forum. I purchased my machine in June and I have had to return it to CarveWright for an issue I had with it. I have had a few other issues, but none serious and all of them handled as easy as a phone call to tech support and they walked me through the troubleshooting and adjustments that I needed to and were able to make. I am not in any way mechanically inclined, so if I can make the adjustments they direct me to make anyone can! The quality and beauty of the products this machine is capable of putting out is worth a small amount of aggrivation I have had with it. I am hoping to grow this into a retirement business in the next 4 years before I retire from the fire service. It is baby steps with this machine because it has a bit of a learning curve. If you are not willing to read lots, make a few mistakes, ask questions, then do not purchase the machine. If you are willing to do those things, then do not hesitate to buy it. If you have problems, you will find no better people in the world than those that are on this forum. No matter what the problem, they are here to help immediately. Just post your problem and in a very few minutes, you will have answers and directions. Many of those that post here are pretty much techs in their own right and the techs from CarveWright post here as well. So I say take the plunge and step into a world of amazement on what this machine can produce and prepare yourself to for chatting with some of the finest people in the world.

Best of Luck in your decision

Jeff

johnt
11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Ash, I asked the same question earlier today.
read the replies to my post just before yours.
(titled "new member")

Hey Jeff, I retired from the fire service 2 years ago. I love being retired!

jcorder
11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Johnt, I am in the "DROP" in Ohio, so I can work a little over 4 more years before I have to leave. I am the fire prevention officer and do most of the homeland security stuff for my department and county, so I am happy with what I am doing now.

johnt
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I dropped for 2 years. The money was good, but I was ready to go.
Now I need a carvewright. :)

jcorder
11-10-2008, 06:58 PM
you sure do, it is a great machine. I wish I had researched the forum first, I bought mine through Amazon, but if I get busy enough to get another one, it will be from Jason at the littleredwoodshop. He has great prices and from what I have seen from him on the forum, great support.

brady.schwyhart
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Ash,
I've gotta agree with Jeff. If you're willing to put the time into it for all the initial boo boos, uh ohs and other self inflicted mistakes that all of us have made at one time or another, go for it. I've only had a couple of problems with my machine and almost all of them were caused by me. Make sure you read the manual, the tips and tricks, and definately the forum. Lots of great info out there and lots of great folks willing to help. The only downside (if you want to even call it that) is that this machine is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!! You'll be a carvaholic in no time!
Brady

supershingler
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
i love my carver
would not give it up for nothing

when looking at the reviews your only going to get the people that complain the loudest.

happy people dont say much because their having so much fun they dont have time to bitch.

my suggestion is to call someone that has a machine in your area if possible and talk to them one on one and get an honest answer. that is what i did and it pushed me over the edge and i made my purchase. just be willing to sell your golf clubs, bowling balls, guns and fishing stuff because you will be having so much fun you wont want to do these other things.

call jason at little red woodshop and visit with him. i did and jason is a great guy and knowledgeable about the machine.

if you want send me a private message and ill give you my phone number and you can call me.

you will be a carvaholic like me before you know it

good luck

kendall

fwharris
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
For those who are looking to buy!

Just saw that Sears.com has the CC in stock. $100 off new and $200 off the reconditioned machines. Aslo bits, bit sets and probe.

daveo
11-15-2008, 08:17 AM
After reading all the negative reviews about the carvewright I almost didnt buy one. It was these forums that convinced me to purchase. I am glad I did. After reading some of the advice in the forums I was up and running quickly with absolutely no problems. Great machine!!!

Dave Ozerkevich
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Bubbabear
11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Must be nice to work for a fire service you can get a decent retirement age and time. Our county we have to be 63 to retire. if you leave a day earlier you loose two thirds and that is people with 30 years. So good luck on retirement

Tom75
11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
glad to hear and welcom to the fourm it is a great and fun machine . have a good day

fwharris
11-15-2008, 09:20 AM
After reading all the negative reviews about the carvewright I almost didnt buy one. It was these forums that convinced me to purchase. I am glad I did. After reading some of the advice in the forums I was up and running quickly with absolutely no problems. Great machine!!!

Dave Ozerkevich
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Dave,

Welcome to the carving club, aeh!

mifflinlake
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I have looked at and read about the CW for a couple of years. I have read many bad reviews as well as good ones. Sometimes it is hard to distginuish between what is real and what is not. I downloaded the trial software two different times, just to play with it. If the machine will do just half of what I have done with the software, then it will be money well spent. So finally after two years and a lot of evaluation, I just sent for a new CW yesterday along with the scanning probe. I may need some friendly advice, so you are stuck with me now. I will let you know when it arrives, I have a whole barn full of wood that needs to be made into sawdust.:)

Kenm810
11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the wood chippers, and the CW Forum
Please keep us up to date, we'll be looking forword to seeing your projects. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

mtylerfl
11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I have looked at and read about the CW for a couple of years. I have read many bad reviews as well as good ones. Sometimes it is hard to distginuish between what is real and what is not. I downloaded the trial software two different times, just to play with it. If the machine will do just half of what I have done with the software, then it will be money well spent. So finally after two years and a lot of evaluation, I just sent for a new CW yesterday along with the scanning probe. I may need some friendly advice, so you are stuck with me now. I will let you know when it arrives, I have a whole barn full of wood that needs to be made into sawdust.:)

Hello and Welcome,

While you're waiting for your machine's arrival, you may enjoy reading through the Tips & Tricks newsletters. Especially the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues. Those two teach you project setup and machine maintenance.

Download the back issues for free at:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

or

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

Sign up to receive the newletters monthly via email at the CarveWright homepage (http://www.carvewright.com/). Just fill in the "Join Our Free Mailing List" box.