PDA

View Full Version : New member here, considering buying carvewright

johnt
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Hello all,
just found this site and joined today.
I have been hesitant purchasing this machine because I went to Sears to get a look at it and the salesman stated it is only available through special order and they no longer carry them in the store because of so many complaints and returned machines.
On this site I read many horror stories also.
I would love to have one but I want to carve with it, not work on it.
This would be for hobby/fun use only.
I am computer literate, and have built 2 homemade cnc machines. (plasma cutters)
I guess I am looking for reassurance that these machine actually do work properly right out of the box.
Is that asking too much?
Feel free to share your experiences.... would you buy another or would you rather have you 2000 dollars back?
Thanks, John

brady.schwyhart
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Hello all,
just found this site and joined today.
I have been hesitant purchasing this machine because I went to Sears to get a look at it and the salesman stated it is only available through special order and they no longer carry them in the store because of so many complaints and returned machines.
On this site I read many horror stories also.
I would love to have one but I want to carve with it, not work on it.
This would be for hobby/fun use only.
I am computer literate, and have built 2 homemade cnc machines. (plasma cutters)
I guess I am looking for reassurance that these machine actually do work properly right out of the box.
Is that asking too much?
Feel free to share your experiences.... would you buy another or would you rather have you 2000 dollars back?
Thanks, John

Welcome John!
I can only speak for my machine in saying that I have had a few hiccups with it, but most of them were caused by my own errors, not through a faulty design. Like any piece of equipment that is mass produced, there are bound to be lemons, but they are the exception, not the rule. This machine is definately worth it in my book. I do woodworking as a hobby and sell most of it or give it away. I think my machine paid for itself in the first few months. As to whether or not I would buy another one, I will be building a workshop in the back yard in the next year or two and one of the first purchases I make for it will be another Carvewright. Just make sure you read the manual, the forum and most definately the Tips and Tricks. And don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.
Brady

want2b
11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Like you I waited, spent about 6 mon reading the forum. downloaded the trial software. Finally took the leap(Sears March 2007) and have been very happy with my machine ever since. Only have about 80 hours on it, just can't seem to get there. Have made some beautiful carvings, some standalone and some to accent or dupilcate pieces on furniture. Also got into doing Lithopanes which everybody loves(great Xmas gifts). Had couple of problems, ripped a belt(my fault), bad board sensor, so I agree with Brady, there have been some who tell horror stories but the majority love the machine. You just need to understand that like anything else that runns like it does, there will be down time. Also agree with Brady on this forum being a goldmine of help and info.
Rick H.

fwharris
11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
John,

If I had to do it over again I would do it again and again. You should be very happy if your main use is for hobby and fun. That is/was the main intent for the machine. There are several users here on the forum who have more than one machine.

You will find the LHR is very customer driven and that most of the changes/enhancements were based on feedback from the users. Sure you will find "horror" stories from some of the users, but you will also find a lot of success stories as well. Take a look through the gallery section here and on the main CW web site to see the results the machine will produce.

Like Brady said, read as much as you can on the forum and the tips and tricks on CW site. For the best performance you will need to do regular maintenance and care of the CW.

brady.schwyhart
11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I forgot to mention this. Mike McCoy originally posted this comment about the machine, and it has stuck with me, as well as giving me a giggle or two.

"It's all a matter of perspective. It's not just this machine ... Check out the CNC forums and you will see similar things. In all cases, you have a delicate bunch of electronics bundled together with a machine that is doing it's best to beat itself to death .... using this delicate stuff in a dusty shop environment .. things are going to break."

Gotta love the mental image there, ha ha.
Brady

supershingler
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
would il buy another?
my answer is i would buy a couple.
would i like my 2000 back?
only for a couple of outher pieces of equipment that i spent big bucks on that i dont hardly use.
i unboxed my carvewright on july 5 and with the order i have on the books to do i will pay for the machine. i have about 90 hrs on my and only had to preplace my sandpaper belts because i didnt lube the screw shaft properly
these machine take a little time to clean up but i also learned that a clean machine(and this means all the machines in my shop)works the best.
as far problems go how many people buy a 30,000 dollar car and never have a problem with it?
i love my cw and would give up a lot of other tools before my carver.
just be ready to be totally amazed and lose some sleep while thinking what your next project is going to be.
they dont call us the carvaholics for nothing. best addiction ive ever had

good luck
if you patience and go slow you wont be disappointed
and may i suggest that you call jason at 309-232-9663. he is who i got my machine from and he answered a lot of questions i had before i purchases mine. the little red woodshop is jason's handle on the forum and i believe there is a link in the store to his website

kendall

johnt
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, thats encouraging.
One other question:
Is there any difference between the sears machine and a "real" carvewright?
Including Service/parts etc..
Sears has a refurbed one for about $1300. Amazon has 'em for $1700 (new I think)
.. Don't you all run out and buy them all up now. :)

brady.schwyhart
11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
The only difference is that on the top one says Craftsman and the other says Carvewright. They're both the same machine, just different vendors.
Brady

jcorder
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I was told a week ago by an associate at Sears that CarveWright is no longer making the compucarve for Sears. I have not confirmed that with CarveWright, but it would make sense since LOWES is going to be a new vendor for CarveWright and have them in the stores.

brady.schwyhart
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Hmm, didn't know that about Sears. Another member of the forum lives close to me, he has the Craftsman and I have the Carvewright. The name is the only difference in our machines. Can't wait for Lowes to start carrying the machines and bits though!
Brady

jcorder
11-10-2008, 07:22 PM
One of the members of the forum has a Sears and when his broke and was out of warantee with CarveWright, but still in warantee with sears, he had to send it to Sears to have it repaired, it no longer went back to CarveWright. He had heard as well that Sears would no longer be carrying the machine. Guess time will tell. You are right, I hope Lowes carries bits and other "parts" for the machine. That way if something minor breaks, you don't have to wait for shipping to go and get it!

Jeff_Birt
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Guys, Sears is most definitely selling the machine. CarveWright had a statement about about it here on the forum a few weeks ago.

I can recall several such stories recounted by other forum members in the past several weeks. They all seem to have a diffrent explanation so I'm not sure what to make of it. :confused:

jcorder
11-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Jeff thanks for looking out for us here! I am not sure where the sales person I spoke with got her information, and I did not pursue it. I know the store I was in has never had a machine when I was there. That was the first place I went to make a purchase when I was ready to buy and they gave me a song and dance about the machines had all been recalled due to issues, found out from CarveWright they just could not keep them supplied fast enough.

Jeff_Birt
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I just can't figure them out. We have a small local Sears 'neighborhood' dealer here in town. They have always treated me squarely; I just picked up a new shop vac I ordered from them tonight. I've gone gone down to the 'big' Sears store in Springfield and stopped in to pick up some bit adapters and was told they quit manufacturing them (this was right after they started carrying the CompuCarve two years ago.)

I like Sears and have bought things from then for years, I just can't figure out why they either mis-inform their folks or a large number of them make things up as they go?

fwharris
11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I have yet to see one on display at Sears, Ace Hardware, WoodCraft or any other box store that is selling them. I did see one at a WoodCraft store but it was for their work shop. It sat unused for the better part of 2 months before it got sent back to the big store in Denver.

All of the stores that I talked to did indicate that it would be a special order item only. That included bits and parts.

jcorder
11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Have you heard if Lowes is going to carry any parts?

MikeMcCoy
11-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I forgot to mention this. Mike McCoy originally posted this comment about the machine, and it has stuck with me, as well as giving me a giggle or two.

"It's all a matter of perspective. It's not just this machine ... Check out the CNC forums and you will see similar things. In all cases, you have a delicate bunch of electronics bundled together with a machine that is doing it's best to beat itself to death .... using this delicate stuff in a dusty shop environment .. things are going to break."

Gotta love the mental image there, ha ha.
Brady

I think I need to carve that. :-D

I bought my first machine because my furniture niche was hand carves. People want craftsman quality with Walmart prices and the Carvewright let me give that. My first machine paid for the second machine in about 4 months but my machines were only getting used for a couple of hours for each project until the last month or so. You read a FEW horror stories but they aren't the norm. My only problems so far with a cumulative 300 hours were caused by me.

fwharris
11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Lowes is the one place I have not talked to yet. I does sound like they might be doing a bigger promo for the CW. I do not recall if any of the others did the demonstration schedule like Lowes.

That reminds me, Who did they fill that job post with for work with Lowes?

myshop1044
11-10-2008, 08:35 PM
johnt,
I got my CW thru Amazon and was well please, of coarse I get all my woodworking tools thru them. They have a great return policy. I once got a $800.00 plywood cutting machine and returned it in 30 days and got a full refund and they paid the shiping back too.
I just looked at their site and they are very well priced on the CW, bits too.
I don't know about other Lowe's, but around here they just sell and don't know what they are selling. I go to Lowe's to feel the tool and then go to amazon to get it ,sometimes cheaper and don't for get free shiping over $25.00.
I just bought a replacment disc for my sander at a $9.00 difference from Amazon as compared to manufacture of the sander.
hope this helps
you only go around once in life go ahead and get that CW and start making sawdust lots of sawdust.

Amonaug
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Have you heard if Lowes is going to carry any parts?

As far as I know Lowes isn't going to carry anything in store, it'll all be special order.

cnsranch
11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Since I'm never without an opinion.....

If you take some time and think about how the Retail Industry has changed over the last 20 years or so, it's no big leap to understand where and how Sears has evolved.

Sears used to be THE place to go, period. Whether it be for a fridge, or a power tool, they were it (remember when you could get a replacement pair of tin snips, or a replacement broken screwdriver no questions asked?) Not only were they basically the only game in town (or anywhere), it was something of a big deal to work there - the sales folks were knowledgeable, experienced, etc. You could go into a Sears and a rep would spend hours showing you a product, comparing it to all the others - you walked out of there knowing your stuff (and quite likely just having made a purchase). Sears was the place we trusted.

Not their fault, but today, it's just not the same. There's tons of competition, many other places for those "experts" to go to get a job, be it HD, Lowes, or the local Ace. It's all about price nowadays. Even though we would like to demand service and expertise in the Rep that's helping you out at your local store, let's face it, when price is the focus, service and good old fashioned know-how go before quality.

Going into my local Sears these days is like walking into a tomb - it's depressing. No customers, no activity, just some sales folks walking around with clipboards looking like they haven't eaten for a week.

When I decided to buy my machine the first of this year, I thought I'd be better off buying it from Sears than from LHR - here locally, sharp Sears people, blah, blah, blah. I went into the store, found the tool guy, they had a CC machine on display, a bunch of bits on the wall, etc. Boy was I excited - I was going to get the scoop. Man, was I wrong.

This guy had clue zero - he admitted he knew NOTHING about the machine, all he did know was that he had heard nothing but bad things about the machine (remember, this was a sales guy). Told me they never had sold one at that store, yadda. I walked out of there really dejected - I thought I'd found the latest addition to my workshop, and here was Sears, guru of tool gurus (sorry Tim Allen) telling me to run, not walk away form the machine.

Went to the woodworking show the next week, spent about an hour with the LHR guys there, and walked out with my CW - best decision I ever made.

Prologue:

Went into the Sears last week to buy a 1/8" cutting bit - guess what, no machine on display, no bits on the walls, and no sales guys to help me. Finally found one after about 15 minutes, told him what I was looking for - he WENT INTO THE BACK STORAGE ROOM - REPEAT - WENT INTO THE BACK STORAGE ROOM, and found a carving bit and cutting bit on the wall in the corner!! He promised to do some research on the CC so he'd be able to better answer my questions the next time I came in (like that's gonna happen). I bought the bit and beat feet.

It's not Sears fault, per se, they're just victims of the times (and having merged with K-Mart). The days of walking into your local Sears and getting the education you need to make an informed buying decision are over. Oh, I know that there are going to be exceptions - there's always the local Sears in some small town that's been owned by the same guy for 100 years, but all in all, it's over for them.

Does it mean you shouldn't buy your machine from them? No - it's the same machine I have with a different logo on the cover. Does it mean that you have to get your information somewhere else? You bet it does. Go ahead and buy one from Sears, just don't expect any support or help - they just don't have a clue. Let's face it, a radial arm saw is a radial arm saw - most anyone can sell you one of Craftsman's saws. But in this day and age, there's no way they're gonna be able to sell you a CompuCarve unless all you want them to do is ring it up.

Dammit, the wife promised to toss that soapbox I keep tripping over.

johnt
11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Let's say I find a good deal on a used or reconditioned machine.
I know there is no warranty.
But....
Have the machines changed over the years?
Is it software or hardware changes or both.
If the newer machines are better, when did they get better and how do I determine the age of a machine?
If a machine is reconditioned, is it considered "up to date"? (I know thats hard to answer, as only the "reconditioner" knows what was done to it.)

myshop1044
11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I believe in a warranty, I have read some posts that the person purched a used machine and found out it had a bad part, it not only cost him for the part but he had just paid for a used machine.
If A new machine in the first year or 200 hrs has problems they take care of you quickly. I just had to replace a power supply and I'm still just under warranty, they sent me new Power supply and I'm back up and running.
I still want to have a warranty for the first year while you are learning the ins and outs of the machine, but still your call.

later
Perry

LittleRedWoodshop
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
there is not really that much of a difference in price to justify uying used. You can buy new machines for $1699.99 shipping included and $2299.99 for the whole package. The piece of mind is in the thought that the machine you take out of the box will have a warranty. Just my opinion.

brady.schwyhart
11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Buying a new machine with the warranty will actually save you more in the long run (most times) than buying a used one without. For instance, you get/find a used machine for $1,200.00 (just a rough figure, don't really know what a used one goes for) and in the first 200 hours/1year you end up having to replace parts like the QC, Z drive, etc etc. Not only are you paying for the parts, but shipping on each as well. And if you have to send it in to be repaired, WOW! That can add up quick. Unless you're one of those folks that already has a couple of machines and is whiz bang quick on fixing them yourself, it's better to buy new and get the warranty. Just my opinion.
Brady

jcorder
11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I looked at new vs used when I was thinking of making the plunge. I am glad I purchased new. My only regret is that I did not find this forum first and do more research, I would have bought from Jason instead of Amazon. My suggestion would be to definatly go with a new machine with warantee the first time, until you learn the machine and how it works. I think I would feel more comfortable now buying a second machine that was a refurb or used. I feel like I could stumble my way through replacing parts and keeping it running. It appears the parts are pretty reasonable and this forum will give you all the help you need to do repair/replacement of parts. I just think starting out, you need the confidence that the new machine will give you.

good luck
Jeff