PDA

View Full Version : I'm Done!

sundog2001
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM
After two years of struggles I give up!

Anyone willing to make me an offer on a Compucarve and scanning probe? It has a new z-truck assembly as of last week and I just replaced the cutter motor magnet. I have the manual, projects and repair documents in binders that I'll include.

At the moment the cutter motor will not run for some reason. After replacing the magnet, I ran a short test run and part of a longer project with everything working great until the motor stopped. The cutter motor has continuity and the sensor is counting.

I'm sure it is a simple fix, but after two years of one simple fix after another and hours of frustration I'm done.

The scanning probe works wonderfully. I have a lot of scanned images available if anyone is interested since I'll never be able to carve them.

Amonaug
11-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Since you replaced the magnet, etc have you check to make sure the wires to the cover switch is well connected?

Ike
11-08-2008, 02:10 PM
My friend I know this sounds funny, get another machine. This time I suggest a real Carvewright. I add this because it is my opinion the CW is better cared for from the factory and has less problems.

I went through the same thing and then bought a CW and it has been wonderful. Yes minor cover switch issues. But now I am an old pro! This is a great lower cost CNC, remember when you switch to another CNC you will need to learn a whole different set of software. Trust me it is not as easy to use as the CW designer. Not to mention the cost involved!

So if you can afford it and don't want to give up buy a new CW, shoot you can get a good sale from Harbor Freight, Amazon.com and even from LittleRedWoodshop. With all the machines out there LHR has fixed most of the problems and will continue to do so!

Ike

liquidguitars
11-08-2008, 02:49 PM
At the moment the cutter motor will not run for some reason. After replacing the magnet, I ran a short test run and part of a longer project with everything working great until the motor stopped. The cutter motor has continuity and the sensor is counting.

Off the top of my head..

1. the red power on and off switch wires could be loose.

unplug the CW turn it over and remove bottom plate to get to the power on and off switch. make sure you have a tight
connection. I had noticed I had a loosened connection at one time...

2. could be home outlet or dirty power issue.

move the CW to a new outlet without extension cords ect..

3. bad switch on right or left side of cover.

take apart switch and use a VOM to test.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Could be one of the power wires is slightly unplugged.

A motor brush is hung up.

The right cover switch is loose. I found if when you have the cover off and don't support the clear cover, it rests on the switches. This can break them or loosen them up. I removed the plastic cover over the switch to let the screws get a better bite of the cover holding the switch in place.

Good Luck,

AL