PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out overlapping ovals

pcfry
11-08-2008, 01:32 AM
How would one create overlapping ovals but cut out just around the outside of the combined object? I'm trying to Cut Path, but my design keeps wanting to Cut Path both ovals instead of just around the edges of the compiled object.

- Paul

ChrisAlb
11-08-2008, 06:35 AM
How would one create overlapping ovals but cut out just around the outside of the combined object? I'm trying to Cut Path, but my design keeps wanting to Cut Path both ovals instead of just around the edges of the compiled object.

- Paul

Hi Paul and Welcome to the forum!

Since designer still doesn't allow us to "Outline Pattern(s)" on preset shapes like circles & ovals, The "easiest" way I know is to create an oval in a graphics program and then import it into Designer to create an oval "Pattern". I've done this for you and posted the pattern.

1) Place two (or more) of these on your board.

2) Drag them to the size, shape & overlap you want.

3) Select both of them, right click on them and select "Outline Pattern(s)"

4) You now have a "path" which you can apply the cut out or any other bit you want to.

5) Delete the oval "patterns" leaving just the outlined path.

You could also use the various line tools in designer to draw them by "hand" but it's a real pain to do so. Hope that helps!

Chris

Amonaug
11-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Actually with the make pattern tool in 1.31 you no longer need to make simple pattern like this in a graphics program.

1) Make your ovals and apply a carve region to them (can be zero depth).
2) Select both ovals and group them.
3) With the carving list open (View>Carving List) select only the word Group
4) Click the Make Pattern icon (or Tools>Make Pattern) and save it in your library.
5) Delete the ovals and insert the pattern you just made from your library
6) Select the pattern and use Outline Pattern (Tools>Outline Pattern)
7) Apply cut path to the selected outline path (Tools>Cut Path)

ChrisAlb
11-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Ok...lol...this is COOL!

Even one step better Kevin.

You don't even have to make a pattern from them and save it to your library. Once you've applied a carve region to them, you can now just right click and use outline the patterns!!!

Thank you SO much for leading me there!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Amonaug
11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh so you can, just didn't seem to work with a zero depth. Live and learn :)

ChrisAlb
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Yep! No need to group them either. Man this is going to save BooKoo time in laying out frames and odd shapes like in days past.

Just keeps getting better!...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

CABINET MAN
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Actually with the make pattern tool in 1.31 you no longer need to make simple pattern like this in a graphics program.

1) Make your ovals and apply a carve region to them (can be zero depth).
2) Select both ovals and group them.
3) With the carving list open (View>Carving List) select only the word Group
4) Click the Make Pattern iconr Tools>Make Pattern) and save it in your library.
5) Delete the ovals and insert the pattern you just made from your library
6) Select the pattern and use Outline Pattern (Tools>Outline Pattern)
7) Apply cut path to the selected outline path (Tools>Cut Path)

Amonaug:
can you help me a little? On #3 I click on carving list but from there I am inable to find " select only the -word group-? I think I can follow the rest( I hope) thx. you

Amonaug
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Amonaug:
can you help me a little? On #3 I click on carving list but from there I am inable to find " select only the -word group-? I think I can follow the rest( I hope) thx. you

I replied to your PM with the steps. But as Chris pointed out above you can skip 2-5 with the exception that the carve region seems to have to be at least .01 in depth. After you get the outline you can delete the ovals.