PDA

View Full Version : Present for my Sister

sweliver
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Finally getting ahead of the Christmas Present curve.

The dog on the right passed away 2 months ago from kidney failure. This is her favorite photo of them - eyeballing some little critter outside. It made a great litho. This was taken halloween "07 - next to the dog's neck on the right edge of the litho is a skull decoration with a bandana and eye patch. You can just make it out in the pic but it's very clear on the litho. I'm amazed at the level of detail this machine carves at.

The litho is ~9.5 X 10.375. The box is 10.5 X 11.375 X 4.5". The top slot, heart, and vent holes were done on the CW. The rest was on the table saw.

sw

Eagle Hollow
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
SW,

Nice...they're women's best friend too.
Thanks for sharing the project.

cnsranch
11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
That's awesome - I've been wondering if those new-fangled bulbs could be used...

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Excellent Project... Im in awe at the detail of the lithos. Neat design on the box too... Shes going to love that!! Keep up the good work.. Thanks for sharing. Its an inspiration.. matt.

HelpBot3000
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey SW,

First off the litho came out great! The picture and the story behind it melted some hearts here in the call center. I was just echoing cnsranch's question. What has the experience been so far with that type of bulb. I was wondering about heat/light/etc. vs say a light puck or a small older-style filament type bulb.

brady.schwyhart
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
SW,
Beautiful work. Memorial type projects like that really make them even more special. After my In-laws passed away, I took a photo of them that my wife didn't particularly like and carved a frame for it. She hung it in the dining room so she can see it every day. One of these days I'm going to have to try a litho.
Brady

sweliver
11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey SW,

First off the litho came out great! The picture and the story behind it melted some hearts here in the call center. I was just echoing cnsranch's question. What has the experience been so far with that type of bulb. I was wondering about heat/light/etc. vs say a light puck or a small older-style filament type bulb.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

This is my first light box after "studying" all the previous light box threads. My next one is the "quad" box.

You can get longer or shorter threaded nipples (in the lamp parts area of your favorite big box store). This way you can position the light to accentuate the "hot spot" in your photo. The bulb in this box is a 45 watt'er. Choices were 20 or 45. I looked at the puck lights and such but they all seemed weak. This light puts off very little heat (which was my main concern as a firefighter...elevated temps over a period of time pyrolizes the wood thereby decreasing its ignition temp a significant amount).

This is my fourth litho...I tried the same carve in the cutting board material from Lowe's someone suggested a few weeks ago. It's acceptable, but no where near as crisp as .25" corian.

Lithos on this machine cease to amaze me. I'm the furthest thing from an artist...my artist friend who carves huge $$$$ sculptures out of enormous hunks of exotic wood is even amazed.

Steve

Dan-Woodman
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Steve
Great litho,and with that bulb placement it looks like the dogs are watching the sunset.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
11-07-2008, 09:48 PM
SW,

Beautiful job on a heartfelt project. Very nice.